Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: When is “missing,” not “missing” a target?

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I'm in agreement with those who say the overdevelopment of "hard skills" is the only way to spend your time. It's actually the only shortcut to "mindset" bullshit, because it at least builds confidence. Folks either have the capacity within them to develop emotional control, or they don't. Some (very few) are ice cold from the jump, but most people develop that with experience and repeated exposure to stressful situations that require them to perform at some level (the 'veteran' effect). The ONLY effective way to a shortcut is developing marksmanship and weapon manipulation at speed, so you KNOW what you can do in a given context. At least have confidence in your skills.

The difficult part of this is that to develop really good skill in this area takes work, especially away from the live range. Dry fire is THE way to do this, but not only are cops lazy and busy, most departments ACTIVELY discourage this type of training, because of the risk of accidents. So you are in effect limited to whatever minimal time they have on the live range to improve their performance. Like @HCM said....one end of the curve will listen, buy Stoegers Dryfire book, watch him and Pranka on Instagram and listen to their discussions, take classes, etc. But the reality is that most just want to 'qualify' and get out.
    Agree 100%. Cops need more opportunities to be challenged and recognized as being skilled at shooting to motivate them to put in the work. Competition shooting is a way to do this when your department won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I'm a pretty polite guy, and don't call too many people on their BS. Never really seemed to help either me or them. But if someone is telling me how well they can shoot, I'll just challenge them to shoot a timed Bill Drill. Honestly as far as self defense shootings go, hammering six rounds into a torso target is probably about as realistic as you can get.

And I'm not setting the world on fire if you demand all A zone hits. But one thing I remember from one of my first classes is "anything that's bad for them is good for you". That doesn't mean it's ok to hit shoulders and elbows or even worse outright miss. Most of my shooting now is done on steel, and my favorite targets are 2/3 USPSA. If you hit that quickly and several times, that's probably pretty good for you and pretty bad for them.

I've often thought that a Steel Challenge type match with C zone size targets would be pretty realistic.
    How’s this?

Bill drill for me is pretty much a test of index because the splits are all going to be 15-17s.

The main way to cut time is on the draw.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How’s this?
    Congratulations, you win a Darth_Uno internet pin. It's actually an NFT.

In all seriousness, I would say that's quite well done, as is the target.

User Tag List