Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDS On A Lever Gun

RDS On A Lever Gun

I've always wanted a 357 lever gun... Specifically a Henry Steel Boy with round carbine barrel and a side gate. They finally make them and I have one on the way.

I'm probably going with a RDS, but am considering a low power scope. Anyone have suggestions for one over the other, and how to mount it as low as possible? I'm looking at the EGW RMR style mount for a SRO.

It's main use is plinking and teaching others rifle shooting (I already use a Henry 22lr for the same purpose). It will also be a truck gun when camping.

Thanks

From their website it looks like they’re drilled/tapped at the factory so a 1913/Weaver rail would be your best bet for mounting an Aimpoint type sight.

I’d go red dot for the stated purposes of the rifle. I’ve found it easier to teach new shooters with a red dot than a scope.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    I've always wanted a 357 lever gun... Specifically a Henry Steel Boy with round carbine barrel and a side gate. They finally make them and I have one on the way.

I'm probably going with a RDS, but am considering a low power scope. Anyone have suggestions for one over the other, and how to mount it as low as possible? I'm looking at the EGW RMR style mount for a SRO.

It's main use is plinking and teaching others rifle shooting (I already use a Henry 22lr for the same purpose). It will also be a truck gun when camping.

Thanks
    A fixed low-power or traditional low-power variable scope like you might see on a shotgun or m/l usually works okay on a pistol-caliber lever gun, especially if you can find a low mount/rings that work. But unless it gets close to a true 1X on the low end, it is not as user friendly as one that does. I have never fooled with a Henry, but with Marlins, I had to do some window shopping and calculating to get the lowest practical ring/mount combo for any given 'scope. As a general thing, I was often ending up using low Burris "Zee" rings on Weaver-type mounts.

LPVO's tend to grow in size and get top-heavy (particularly if you use QD mounts); some of the ocular ends of "tactical" LPVO's can be so large in diameter to be problematic. That being said, you can stretch a .357's ability to hit a mark with one that is cranked up. If I last long enough and Ruger gets its crap together fast enough, I may try a 16" Ruger-made Marlin 1894 with a high-end modern LPVO.

RDS have also worked well for me, but are usually more limited in mounting options right off the bat depending on the footprint. For just plinking and training, I increasingly like the RDO, and they are the fastest/simplest option for HD/SD (my .357 leverguns have always been intended to be used for anything in a pinch). A 'scope - even at a "true 1x" - is usually a bit slower, though one with a good illuminated reticle is fast enough.

My current "beater" utility .357 is a poorly-made, tail-end-Charlie JM 1894CSS with a shortened XS LeverRail so I can use QD mounts to go red dot or 'scope. That means that the axis of the RDS or 'scope isn't going to be the lowest, but it is workable... and the setup has the benefit of an aperture rear iron sight should an optic fail. I have an older, small-diameter Ultra-Dot tube-type red dot in low QD rings that has gotten a new lease on life as a pistol-caliber longarm optic, and it often goes on this carbine.

The combo is a good trainer, plinker and utility gun that even with cheap factory loads will peg about anything around these parts that needs stopping.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Red dots and lever guns go together like peanut butter and jelly. My test mule for the "do I want a red dot on a levergun" project has been an 1894c, with a Vortex Venom using a EGW mount in the front mount position on a 1894c receiver.

The concept is excellent. The Vortex Venom is shit.

I'm about to order one of these from Midwest Industries with the T1 footprint and switching to a T1 pattern sight. I think a closed emitter sight is a better choice for a gun that gets carried in the rain.

They make the same setup for the Henry pistol caliber guns.

Just in case you were thinking of also mounting a light, the right way to do it is with the Hill People Gear lever gun light mount. I screwed around trying to piece together other mounts and finally just spent the money on the HPG product.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Red dots and lever guns go together like peanut butter and jelly. My test mule for the "do I want a red dot on a levergun" project has been an 1894c, with a Vortex Venom using a EGW mount in the front mount position on a 1894c receiver.

The concept is excellent. The Vortex Venom is shit.

I'm about to order one of these from Midwest Industries with the T1 footprint and switching to a T1 pattern sight. I think a closed emitter sight is a better choice for a gun that gets carried in the rain.

They make the same setup for the Henry pistol caliber guns.

Just in case you were thinking of also mounting a light, the right way to do it is with the Hill People Gear lever gun light mount. I screwed around trying to piece together other mounts and finally just spent the money on the HPG product.
    Thanks for the info! Can you post pics of your 1894 with the Venom?
    I'm going to buy one of these to protect the SRO on the Henry.

https://jagerwerks.com/b-r-o-s/

I've looked at the closed emitters, but they appear to be higher and larger than an opening emitter, and I'm trying to keep everything as low profile and small as possible.

I often run an Aimpoint Micro on my lever guns--works great...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think a closed emitter sight is a better choice for a gun that gets carried in the rain.
    This.

I know the arguments pro and con on the open emitters, but I will still go with a behemoth like this on my utility .357...

Name:  image000000-2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  53.7 KB

It shrugs off outdoorsy crap far better. With the low Burris Zee rings (not QD) shown, it is still relatively easy to remove when need be. It mounts quite low, yet the turret portion clears the top of the LeverRail by about 1/16". I have had no problems with the Ultra Dots on handguns, so I figure they can take whatever this carbine can dish out.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    This.

I know the arguments pro and con on the open emitters, but I will still go with a behemoth like this on my utility .357...

Name:  image000000-2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  53.7 KB

It shrugs off outdoorsy crap far better. With the low Burris Zee rings (not QD) shown, it is still relatively easy to remove when need be. It mounts quite low, yet the turret portion clears the top of the LeverRail by about 1/16". I have had no problems with the Ultra Dots on handguns, so I figure they can take whatever this carbine can dish out.
    How much higher is your cheek weld compared to irons or a dovetail mounted RDS?

Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    Thanks for the info! Can you post pics of your 1894 with the Venom?
    I'm going to buy one of these to protect the SRO on the Henry.

https://jagerwerks.com/b-r-o-s/

I've looked at the closed emitters, but they appear to be higher and larger than an opening emitter, and I'm trying to keep everything as low profile and small as possible.
    I just took the sight off the rifle, and can't find any pictures with it on the gun. Sorry.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List