Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot Sight on S&W Shield Plus OPTIC READY Pistol

Red Dot Sight on S&W Shield Plus OPTIC READY Pistol

Seeking guidance from anyone who may have been down this path already . . . .

I have a S&W 9mm Shield Plus pistol with a 3.125" barrel. The pistol is the OPTIC READY model with the removable plate for mounting various optics.

I want to mount an optic on this pistol and do anything and all I can to avoid an intermediate adapter plate.

Based on previous experience with the Holosun 407K on other small pistols, it is by far my preferred optic of choice for my Shield Plus, if I can make it work.

Is anyone aware of a shop that can/will machine a S&W Shield Plus OPTIC READY slide to accept a Holosun 407K in DIRECT MOUNT configuration?

If not, is there a recommended mounting plate to accommodate the Holosun 407K mounted on the OPTIC READY S&W Shield?

And finally, if the Holosun 407K is mounted on an OPTIC READY S&W Shield, will the stock iron sights co-witness, or would they need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any guidance/input.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

I have a S&W 9mm Shield Plus pistol with a 3.125" barrel. The pistol is the OPTIC READY model with the removable plate for mounting various optics.

I want to mount an optic on this pistol and do anything and all I can to avoid an intermediate adapter plate.

Based on previous experience with the Holosun 407K on other small pistols, it is by far my preferred optic of choice for my Shield Plus, if I can make it work.

Is anyone aware of a shop that can/will machine a S&W Shield Plus OPTIC READY slide to accept a Holosun 407K in DIRECT MOUNT configuration?

If not, is there a recommended mounting plate to accommodate the Holosun 407K mounted on the OPTIC READY S&W Shield?

And finally, if the Holosun 407K is mounted on an OPTIC READY S&W Shield, will the stock iron sights co-witness, or would they need to be replaced?

I've been carrying an optic ready Shield Plus with a 407k since February. It's a great setup. I didn't want to have to use a plate and considered finding someone to mill the bosses down so the 407k would direct mount....but after getting a plate I never thought about it again.

I used a CHPWS Plate (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024867247 )I get a low window co-witness with the stock sights. It's been a trouble free solution for me.

Here's a few pics.
    Name:  20221008_212609.jpg
Views: 5763
Size:  33.5 KB
    The CHPWS Plate is pretty thin.
    Name:  20221008_212939.jpg
Views: 4578
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  20221008_212904.jpg
Views: 4514
Size:  29.6 KB

I think the iron sights are just right. Tall enough to be usable but not so tall to obstruct the 407k/507k's small-ish window. I was concerned that they might be too short and initially planned to use a set of Trijicon HDs because I know they're slightly taller than stock sights but the factory mounted TruGlos were just right, in my opinion.

Again, I'm very happy with this set up.
    Last edited by MD7305; 10-08-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Here's a few pics.
    Name:  20221008_212609.jpg
Views: 5763
Size:  33.5 KB
    The CHPWS Plate is pretty thin.
    Name:  20221008_212939.jpg
Views: 4578
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  20221008_212904.jpg
Views: 4514
Size:  29.6 KB

I think the iron sights are just right. Tall enough to be usable but not so tall to obstruct the 407k/507k's small-ish window. I was concerned that they might be too short and initially planned to use a set of Trijicon HDs because I know they're slightly taller than stock sights but the factory mounted TruGlos were just right, in my opinion.

Again, I'm very happy with this set up.
    Thanks very much for this information. I appreciate the detailed explanation, the link, and the photos. pistol-forum is THE source for reliable information!!

If anyone knows of other options, I would surely welcome the info and the knowledge.

Ken

We’ve had issues with the Shield Plus O.R. model. The factory slide cut is slanted down and of the seven or eight we’ve mounted, none have been able to achieve POA/POI at 15 yards. Apparently this cut was done to accommodate the Crimson Trace optic, or so I’ve been told.

At this point we won’t mount an optic on a Shield Plus, and we’re looking at aftermarket options to mill the cut flat or make a plate that will deal with the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    We’ve had issues with the Shield Plus O.R. model. The factory slide cut is slanted down and of the seven or eight we’ve mounted, none have been able to achieve POA/POI at 15 yards. Apparently this cut was done to accommodate the Crimson Trace optic, or so I’ve been told.

At this point we won’t mount an optic on a Shield Plus, and we’re looking at aftermarket options to mill the cut flat or make a plate that will deal with the angle.
    Well, I’d been planning on getting an RMRCC for my OR Plus. Maybe I should get one of the non O R ones milled?

Is there anyway to identify this through a S/N range or anything? I zeroed mine at 15yds and refined at 25yds and didn't/haven't experienced any issues with POA/POI.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

@1911Nut Nameless Arms will modify the optics ready factory cut of a Shield Plus so you can directly mount a 407K.

https://www.namelessarms.com/product...k-modification

S&W seems to continuously excel at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    @1911Nut Nameless Arms will modify the optics ready factory cut of a Shield Plus so you can directly mount a 407K.

https://www.namelessarms.com/product...k-modification
    Great information - Thanks for sharing.

User Tag List