Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues With Norma Range & Training .38 Special FMJ

Issues With Norma Range & Training .38 Special FMJ

I had a great training session yesterday, using NIB Norma 158 gr FMJ .38 Special Range and Training. Nice accuracy, but I encountered multiple light strikes that did not set off the primers; several didn't fire after 2-3 hits. All shooting was double-action, and there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of light strikes on the first shot (but not exclusively there).

This was with my Security Six, which has been a flawless performer for me; Ruger has gone through it, and it has proper springs. It is properly maintained, and was not dirty prior to the practice session. Anyone else encountered issues with Norma/Norma primers recently?

My local gunsmith is witnessing some significant issues with primers lately; my suspicion is that due to the high demand and production shortfalls, QC for primers in particular has gone way south....

Any thoughts/experiences?

Best, Jon

Which Norma .38 FMJ do you have? Is yours loaded in Germany, Hungary, Switzerland or Sweden?

I have used them all in my 1964 old Colt Official Police revolver with no issues.

Yes. My Norma stockpile has the same issue. Doesn't matter what 38 revolver I use it in, I'll get several failures every box. I bought some more recent Norma with gold primers vice the older silver ones. It had fewer issues but still failures.

I like Norma. I've got around 800 rounds left of this problem ammo. I'll continue to buy their stuff but not in 38 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Which Norma .38 FMJ do you have? Is yours loaded in Germany, Hungary, Switzerland or Sweden?

I have used them all in my 1964 old Colt Official Police revolver with no issues.
    Their Range/Target 158 gr ball, made in Hungary, recent production BNIB.

The light strike issue I've experienced since the COVID-induced ammunition shortage has occurred with multiple .357/.38 Special cartridges and primers-notably Winchester Silvertip and CCI 550 primers. My suspicion is that demand is so heavy, both from ammunition manufacturers and the reloading community that QC has gone by the wayside significantly. The only cartridges that I've found trustworthy primer ignition-wise since COVID have been Federal.

Essentially, unless I deliberately want to have malfunction drills inherently built into my practice, Norma and Winchester are off my selection list. And all others are "trust but verify."

It is not an insufficient firing pin spring issue-both of my revolvers concerned are using appropriate Ruger springs, with replacements as necessary.

Best, Jon

To be clear, my Norma was all purchased directly from Norma, new, this year. The earlier batch had silver primers. I informed them of the misfires and they did offer to buy back my batch. I declined because it was so hard to get any more 38 at the time. They then gave me a small rebate, which I appreciated. So I can't blame Norma - they tried to take care of the issue

I purchased some more 38 from them a few months ago and noted that the primers were gold colored as opposed to the silver of the older batch. I've only fired one box of this so far but had a few misfires. Fewer than the older stuff but still there.

ETA: The misfires have occurred in the following revolvers. All are unaltered with original springs and no trigger jobs done on the. Original Python 6", new Python 4", new Colt King Cobra 3", old Colt Diamondback snub. I have not had misfires with any other ammo in these guns.

Mine all had the gold primers. I will say that the accuracy was quite nice.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I've shot over 5,000 rounds of Norma 124 grain 9mm since 2020, in Beretta 92s, PX4s, Glocks, and M&Ps. Zero failures even with a 13lb spring in the 92s and 11 in the Px4, but, harder primers wouldn't shock me with it being eastern European.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I've shot over 5,000 rounds of Norma 124 grain 9mm since 2020, in Beretta 92s, PX4s, Glocks, and M&Ps. Zero failures even with a 13lb spring in the 92s and 11 in the Px4, but, harder primers wouldn't shock me with it being eastern European.

I have no trouble with any of their other calibers. They've been my go to since they are generally clean and accurate.

In this upcoming Saturday's IDPA match, myself and a buddy will be shooting revolvers; Me, the Security Six; he'll be using his Smith & Wesson M66. I'll be using Federal American Eagle 130 gr FMJ, PMC 132 gr FMJ, and Blazer Brass 125 gr FMJ; he'll be using the Norma Hungarian 158 gr FMJ...I'll report the results on this thread.

Best, Jon

I’ve been using the Hungarian made Norma in all sorts of revolvers, and haven’t had a single problem. The primers are silver. 🤷🏼

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  44.4 KB

User Tag List