Thread: Most popular barrel length for competition?

Most popular barrel length for competition?

I am thinking of buying a competition pistol. I am not sure what barrel length I should get.

I know for trap shooting I like a long 34" barrel.

Any thoughts?

Randy

Site Supporter
    Some people use longer barrels in the hopes they get more velocity from a load that's perhaps a bit too close to the bottom floor of the power factor requirements.

That said, one of the GMs around here does about the same with his glock 17 as he does his glock 34 when it comes to match performance.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

What kind of competition and what divisions? 4.5"-5.5" is pretty common for "practical" type shooting

Personally I tend to like the longer guns, G34, shadow 2, 5" 1911/2011s for irons sights, but 4.5" is also fine if you prefer the way they cycle and transition. The red dot guys tend to prefer the shorter guns for that reason.
    We have a local CO Master who does very well with an MOS Glock 19.

For iron sights a good set of target sights can mitigate a lot of the perceived issues with the shorter barrels if that is the gun that calls to you.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I am thinking of buying a competition pistol. I am not sure what barrel length I should get.

I know for trap shooting I like a long 34" barrel.

Any thoughts?

Randy
    More info please. What competition, optic or irons, etc?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Irons. Adjustable sights. This is one gun I am considering.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/x...on-9mm-handgun

I shoot left-handed. It has magazine release on both sides.

Randy

Irons. Adjustable sights. This is one gun I am considering.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/x...on-9mm-handgun

I shoot left-handed. It has magazine release on both sides.

Randy
    I would go with a G34, a P10F or a Walther PDP 5” before I went with an XD. A Canik would be 4th. If we’re talking staying below $1k. Above $1k? Go with one of the Shadow 2 variants. As a matter of fact, an XD is one of the last pistols I would go with. At least if you’re talking USPSA.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I would go with a G34, a P10F or a Walther PDP 5” before I went with an XD. A Canik would be 4th. If we’re talking staying below $1k. Above $1k? Go with one of the Shadow 2 variants. As a matter of fact, an XD is one of the last pistols I would go with. At least if you’re talking USPSA.
    Thanks for your help. May I ask why you don't like the XD? I looked at one of the Shadows. I love the gun, especially because of its weight. In skeet and trap shooting the heavier the gun the less recoil.

I can't afford, however, to go $1,300. Scheels offered me only $300 for my Glock 19 which has hardly been used.

How important is the weight of a target pistol?

Randy

Thanks for your help. May I ask why you don't like the XD? I looked at one of the Shadows. I love the gun, especially because of its weight. In skeet and trap shooting the heavier the gun the less recoil.

I can't afford, however, to go $1,300. Scheels offered me only $300 for my Glock 19 which has hardly been used.

How important is the weight of a target pistol?

Randy
    I forgot to throw S&W in the top 4.

I’ve never been impressed with the XD line and have seen more issues with them then other pistols. Walther is making in-roads in the competitive market. Every year IDPA and USPSA lists the guns used during the respective Nationals. Springfield isn’t very popular. Do a google search and you can see what are the main go to brands.

Weight isn’t something I worry about since I tend to compete with my carry guns, which are all plastic.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Check out a Canik Rival. Costs about $660. Excellent adjustable sights, optics ready, two inch gun at 25 yards.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you will be shooting iron sights, more sight radius is good, something in the 5 inch range. (If IDPA, it has to fit The Box which eliminates the long slides and even the 5.4" 2011s. Glock 34 at 5.3" is about the longest.)

A friend has two XD 5.25s, one for iron sight, one for Carry Optic, plus Powder River triggers. He reports no "issues."
    I like them and if anybody wanted to sponsor Team Mediocre to show off a different gun than my usual 1911 or 2011, that might be the one.

But say, if you have a Glock 19, SHOOT a Glock 19. I have seen them do well in IDPA and it would be good enough to learn USPSA with before going with a Kolar or Perazzi.

Do you have any other pistol remotely suitable? Shoot it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List