Thread: Anyone here ever carry or spend serious time with a Sig 225?

Anyone here ever carry or spend serious time with a Sig 225?

I used to be a hardcore Sig guy until the company got goofy around 2006 and previously carried both a P228 and 220ST as duty guns and am a factory armorer so I'm somewhat familiar with the platform.

I'm buying a late 90's vintage P225 on a whim. I have almost zero experience (I shot a few mags through one ten years ago) with the P225 and was curious what your thoughts were on the gun.

I remember hearing something about them not handling +P ammo well, but that could be just a rumor. I plan on using 124gr +P Federal HST (now my department's issue 9mm ammo) as my carry ammo.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I used to be a hardcore Sig guy until the company got goofy around 2006 and previously carried both a P228 and 220ST as duty guns and am a factory armorer so I'm somewhat familiar with the platform.

I'm buying a late 90's vintage P225 on a whim. I have almost zero experience (I shot a few mags through one ten years ago) with the P225 and was curious what your thoughts were on the gun.

I remember hearing something about them not handling +P ammo well, but that could be just a rumor. I plan on using 124gr +P Federal HST (now my department's issue 9mm ammo) as my carry ammo.

Thoughts?
    I've carried them before. Great shooters, but for the size/weight I think there are better options.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

IMHO the P225 is/was the best pistol SiG produced and was only over shadowed by the rudh towards higher capacity 9mm P pistol's. The P225 has ideal balance and pointability with the DA/SA Sig trigger that only improves more with continued use. With the lure of more compact CCW pistol's I'm rather suprised that the P6/P225 hasn't been revisited as a carry pistol more often.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post

Thoughts?
    I carried two P225's for a couple of years on duty. One was my duty sidearm and one was my backup. I used issued Winchester 127 +P+ without any problems. I stopped carrying the 225's when the department switched to the P239 and then carried a pair of those. I sold my personal 225 and have kicked myself in the ass ever since. My p239 I didn't care for near as much.

I too for a short period of time carried a 225. I felt it was the perfect combination of size, weight and feel in the SIG line. I also felt the limited capacity was not a problem in the grand scheme of things. I switched however back to the larger 229 since the issued gun was a 229. I have since then switched back to Glock as my primary off duty belt pistol while the smaller single stack Kahr PM9 is my EDC in a Galco pocket holster.

I general I am not a SIG fan for many reasons and while the 225 was in my opinion the best of the line in the end I simply stayed away from SIGs for personal use.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TNWNGR View Post
    With the lure of more compact CCW pistol's I'm rather suprised that the P6/P225 hasn't been revisited as a carry pistol more often.
    With the introduction of the P228/229 and then the P239, its position in the catalog was pretty much rendered superfluous from a sales standpoint. The niche of "Bigger than a 239 but skinnier than a 229" is probably just too small to be profitable.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

This thread is worth checking out if you are interested in the P225: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...viable-anymore

I am a fan...

I have heard every argument under the sun why I shouldn't be, and yet I am. It isn't size efficient for 8 rounds of 9mm. It doesn't have the trigger of the 22x (which may be true for some, but mine has a pretty awesome trigger to my fingers). I like the fact that the grip is long enough to get a handful of gun, and not grab air with my pinky. I like that it is relatively thin, so it carries like a 1911 Commander size to me. I tried a 239 first, and was not happy with it because of the size of the gun and the trigger geometry. It felt like I had to squeeze the 239 trigger all the way back into my palm before it would fire.

Now for the actual downsides to me:
    1. Holster that say "228/229/225" - usually fit very poorly because of the different trigger guard on the 225.
    2. Mags are expensive and relatively rare - and Sig NEVER includes them in their random promotions.
    3. Grip options are limited, and get spendy in a hurry. There WAS a Pachmyer grip, but other than that you are looking at wood for the most part. I don't think any of the G10 grips are available for the P225, but I haven't looked closely.

I am not blind to its downsides, and if I spent much time with an xDM, or M&P, or something else, I may get half a mind to change - but I also picked up my 225 for a song, put a couple bucks into it, and now have a very functional gun that I know works and fits my hand. Maybe I shouldn't be so resistant to change, but I am.

-shooter

Quote Originally Posted by shooter220 View Post
    3. Grip options are limited, and get spendy in a hurry. There WAS a Pachmyer grip, but other than that you are looking at wood for the most part. I don't think any of the G10 grips are available for the P225, but I haven't looked closely.

-shooter
    Hogue makes G10 grips for the P6/225 guns.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...ath=23_630_631
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I carried the piss out of one for many years as my back and forth to work gun when I carried a P-220 as my duty pistol. Very flat, super reliable, disappeared under a light t-shirt in a Sparks summer special or front appendix in an Eagle IWB. The P6 was one of the most popular duty guns used by the German police for many years. The reality is this, Todd seems to be doing fine with a 9mm 1911. I didn't feel particularly under gunned for an EDC gun with a very flat comfortable single stack 9mm with high quality ammunition.

I lent mine to another protective agent many years ago because many of the areas he was working with VERY high profile clients were in restricted states for magazine capacity, so he couldn't carry his P-228. he loved the thing and never had an issue. I will should be getting it back soon.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List