Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Demotion One Level??

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What you're referring to is very common across the nation, is legal, is ethical, and is not a sign of corruption.

The problem is performing your 2nd job/overtime detail/off-duty gig at the same time you're actually on shift.
    Of course moonlighting is totally legit. I did it when I was a resident and fellow to make extra cash (when approved by my program directors). There are Phoenix PD officers who work security at private schools. Totally legit!

However, when it involved the NOPD in 1995-1999 (when I was there): you think about Len Davis (a NOPD cop who ordered the assassination of a women who filed a brutality complaint against him); Antoinette Frank (a NOPD cop who murdered her own partner during a robbery of a Vietnamese restaurant where he was moonlighting); and the FBI operation Shattered Shield. That department was probably the worst in the country. I wasn't worried about whether that cop was working on the city's dime but whether he was protecting a pimp or drug dealer. I'm surprised that this NOPD captain even got demoted. I guess things are better in the Big Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I guess things are better in the Big Easy.
    Speaking of regions, that shit was stamped out a long time ago in the northeast where I'm from and still have a lot of casework, even though I'm currently in a DC based unit with an international mandate.

There's still guys on the payroll for organized crime...we had a mob CI that was leaked by NYPD and a hit was put on him, and when doing surveillance we would brief the prevalence of connections in a given precinct and use a cover story for the entire team incase we were stopped for a traffic violation. Cops working as "muscle" for an organization has not been a trend in the northeast for many decades, however, and even then the vast majority of corruption was just informing or letting things slide.

Even the most visceral imagery of corruption in the NYPD, Frank Serpico's attempted assassination, the involved cops just agreed to let it happen/were part of the setup, and weren't actually working as muscle.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-10-2022 at 06:33 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Reminder: this is New Orleans

The mayor is currently defending herself for flying around the world to BS meetings in first class…..and living rent free in a French Quarter condo. Nuff said…
    I believe the New Orleans District Attorney was also recently on trial for federal tax fraud. However, he was acquitted.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...3-e4d92c07960c

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Correct.

The use has to be determined to be "to the advantage of the government, not the employee", I think is the wording. If you put an extra mile on the clock by driving through the access road and circling the parking lot to get in and out of the grocery store, you're fucked. You're not supposed to make stops out of your way. If the grocery store isn't literally on the street you're driving down to get home, you are technically in violation. By law, misuse of a GOV is an automatic 30-day suspension. Now, your average supervisor isn't comparing mapquest to your stated miles for each trip, and most supervisors will try to justify the trip as official if they can (why were you at the grocery store? You were buying bottled water and energy bars for the protection detail you start in two days, right?) but the hickup usually comes about from an accident where there's a discrepancy between what your mileage and location is supposed to be versus what it actually is. and it can't be explained as a job function.

If we're out doing field stops or working somewhere that doesn't have restroom facilities or food service, we're allowed to do things like get food, coffee, etc, or if TDY away from home we can use it for going to get food, grocery shopping, going to the laundromat, etc. The big variable in all this that can make or break you is that your supervisor has to approve whether you were good-to-go on an authorized trip/in scope of duty when the accident form is completed. To wit, I used my G-ride to go pick up suits getting tailored on the way home from work, because they were getting tailored specifically for my protection duties to be used on the job; my supervisor said I was okay to do that, so I was okay if I got in an accident. In addition, I can use a GOV to go to the range, since shooting at a range to maintain proficiency is in the scope of my duties; if I were to bring my girlfriend to go shooting with me during work hours, that's fine, but I can't bring her in the G-ride...only official personnel.
    No LEO or LEO related but I work for the Fed's. Never roll a GOV rig to a place you can't explain in relation to your job duties. Even stopping to get a snack on the way back from the field - I'll use the excuse of falling sleep and needing caffeine (safety issue) to stay legit.

The discussion of government vehicles reminds me back when I was a kid in the 80's, and my dad had a series of government cars assigned to him when he was working for Customs. Most of them were pretty lame and boring like a Chevy Malibu or Dodge Aries, but he was assigned a lifted Dodge Ram 4x4 with big knobby tires for awhile. As a 7 year-old I thought it was the coolest thing, and I was really annoyed that I couldn't ride in it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    he was assigned a lifted Dodge Ram 4x4 with big knobby tires for awhile. As a 7 year-old I thought it was the coolest thing, and I was really annoyed that I couldn't ride in it.
    Nice. Once upon a time, by take-home GOV was a V10 dually with off-road tires. Now it’s a hatchback.

The biggest complaint I have going from local LE to the feds is the GOV policy. As a local detective, I could use my unmarked car for personal business anywhere in the city so long as I had my creds and weapon with me. Now, when I take home a GOV it just takes up space in my driveway until I go to work.

User Tag List