Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Physical Limitations

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your input! You made several good points. Lena Miculek does beat her dad from time to time. Not only is Lena a women, she's also quite small, but that doesn't prevent for shooting all type of guns like a boss. Her personality is pleasant and fun too.

I think many or most members on this site are competitive shooters who are striving to become masters or grand masters and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Then there are old bucks like me who simply want to shoot as well as possible. I twice practiced with a couple IDPA shooters on two small courses of fire and I had a blast. I will return to practice with them again, but I can go very often because I can't afford the ammo or the gas to travel to the location.

To me there are really three main elements in human endeavors: Fun, Improvement, Satisfaction. If we're having fun and slowly improving at whatever we do, we should feel some level of satisfaction. Then we do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post

Then there are old bucks like me who simply want to shoot as well as possible. I twice practiced with a couple IDPA shooters on two small courses of fire and I had a blast. I will return to practice with them again, but I can go very often because I can't afford the ammo or the gas to travel to the location.

To me there are really three main elements in human endeavors: Fun, Improvement, Satisfaction. If we're having fun and slowly improving at whatever we do, we should feel some level of satisfaction. Then we do it again!
    I have been shooting idpa for 4-5 years now. I do it because it is so much fun. Beginning of my 2nd year a regular shooter was rearended sitting in his car. Huge back damage. I don't know him well enough to know the details but I have watched him shoot w/ an external back brace and one of those walker things w/ 2 wheels and 2 legs. As he got better he used the walker to get around but when it was his turn to shoot he left it behind and used a cane. He worked out a way that the hook of the cane would stay on his weak hand forearm when shooting and slide down to his hand when it was time to move. Slowly he used the cane less and less. Now he has a limp but that is about it. I go through this kind of long story to tell you that every other shooter was cheering him on through out this 3 year journey. Do what you can do, skip what you can't, and keep going as well as you can. It is worth it.

At 77 my weak points are knees and back. I carry a chair or camp stool to matches. My hands are not as strong or flexible as they used to be but the only limitation there is to shoot Minor; a stage in Major would leave me with a flinch for the rest of the day.

I was considerably thrilled by a 17/56 finish at IDPA today, and would have been happy if I had not hit that no-shoot at the last USPSA which kept me from breaking out of last place. USPSA really IS faster and it shows if you are slowing down or beat up. So what?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Craig, thank you for relating that story to us. It reveals a couple of important things: Terrible things happen. We could be jogging one minute and crippled in the next. Second, we hear of a man overcoming a very serious problem through determination and the desire to shoot. That's a great story containing at least two lessons. My hat is off to him. I hope he continues improving.

Site Supporter
    Jim, I'm sure everyone will be happy to read your post, I sure am. The fact you still compete will likely provide a charge for many of us. I'm only 65, a mere puppy. If what we do we find fun and rewarding, we repeat and do it again. I've only been shooting for 1 1/2 years and never had so much fun. I may try an IDPA match when I can hit better and gain more confidence in my shooting.

You should celebrate with a large bag of peanut M&Ms, or the regular if you prefer those. That's what I would do.

...I've only been shooting for 1 1/2 years and never had so much fun. I may try an IDPA match when I can hit better and gain more confidence in my shooting...
    My wife started shooting idpa w/ me this summer. 4-5 weeks ago when we were practicing it was her turn. We run our practice just like idpa stages except that we keep the round count down. She stepped up to the line and I did the usual; do you understand the course of fire, ok you may load and make ready, are you ready,..,..etc. She re-holstered and said wait a minute. 'You know one thing that idpa has really helped me with? What? All the other stuff besides shooting at the target. I used to be so nervous when I walked to the line that I would screw something up. Now it is just normal. And I was really worried about running w/ the gun in my hand. I am not 100% comfortable yet but maybe 85-90%.'
    So here is a thought for you. I don't know what kind of range you shoot at, I don't know if you use a holster or not either, so you may be limited w/ what is allowed. But try these ideas;
    - Load 3-4 mags w/ just 2 rounds. If you are allowed, holster the gun. If not allowed, hold the gun at a low ready in your normal 2 hand grip. Target at 10-15ft. Draw or just bring the gun up and fire 2 rounds at the target as fast as you can. If you miss, slow down a bit. Keep doing this until both shots are hits then move the target 5ft further away.
    - Similar but different. Load 3-4 mags w/ just 2 rounds. Shoot, drop the mag and load the next one, shoot, drop....etc. Go slow at first and concentrate on making smooth reloads. Put the target close in again 10ft so it is an easy hit because that is not what you are going for here. Smooth efficient reloads is your goal. Speed will come as you practice.
    Notice that what you are doing w/ these two is nearly identical but what you are concentrating on is different. First you are trying to make hits fast so after the second shot you stop, think a bit and then reload. Second you just want smooth reloads and your accuracy is much less important.
    Our next match is revolver friendly so all semi auto mags will have just 6 rounds in them. So we will need more mags on our belt than our usual two. So I got us each an extra double mag pouch. We have never had 4 mags on us before so we loaded 4 mags one round each. I put up 4 paper plates in 2 pairs side by side but 10ft apart. We marked a spot 15ft back from each pair. We both shot a 50 round box of ammo 4 shots at a time. It started out pretty ugly, but by the end we were not super fast but at least most of the fumbling was gone. You can make up your own drills or pick some of the well known ones. BTW, each range trip save 2 mags worth of ammo for the end. Whatever you have been doing that day, when you get to those last 2 mags, pick something you are reasonably good at and enjoy doing so, no matter what else happened, you go home having had a bunch of fun at the end.

I may try an IDPA match when I can hit better and gain more confidence in my shooting.
    No.
    Go to a match. All that is required is that you follow instructions as to safe practices and the Course of Fire. That will teach you what you need to practice.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter

Good points

Craig and Jim. you both made some really good points. I've been doing a little work on draws and mag changes during dry fire practice. I'm slowly improving my shooting and gun handling because I'm working on slow, smooth accurate shooting and gun handling. There are two locations not too far from me where USPSA and IDPA shooters practice. I attended two IDPA sessions so far and intend to attend more. I'm 65 and never had so much fun as shooting bad guys dressed in cardboard suits.

The one regret I have is not discovering handguns much earlier.

Let me throw out a rant and question. In my year and a half of being involved with handguns, I read 30-40 books on pistol shooting, self defense, competition etc. Of that group, Only a dozen or so remain on my bookshelf, the others hit the trash before I finished reading them. Gun expert this and that, my ass! Anyone can claim expertise in any field, write a book and have it published. I'm not out as much as some of you, as I always buy used books. Again: expert my ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    No.
    Go to a match. All that is required is that you follow instructions as to safe practices and the Course of Fire. That will teach you what you need to practice.
    I'm quoting this because I was going to come back and post the same thing. Jim beat me to it.

Over the years I've experienced many changes in physical ability. I went from being a Master Class shooter to the point that I can't even walk the stages of a USPSA match to compete. By the end of the day I'll spend the next two days in bed. No bother. I've learned there are other alternatives.

I now shoot Steel Challenge. It's much easier for me to shoot but at the end of the day it's still exhausting. I used my pedometer recently and found that at our range to finish all 8 stages requires walking about 4 miles. For a few years I had someone push me around the range in my wheelchair so that I could still compete. It's being out, having fun, talking to the other shooters that's the real important things these days.

I did all the exercises, lost 100 pounds (I've got another 100 to go) and settled in on the fact I'll never be as good as I once was. I now manage to walk the match using my walker. I have to sit for a bit after getting to the starting area because of the distances. I'm working on speed with accuracy and getting better as time goes by with expectations of beating myself at the end of the day.

Do what you like to do and enjoy yourself. Even in pain there can be fun.

User Tag List