Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Physical Limitations

Site Supporter
    Cluster, thank you for your response! Your suggestion is entirely valid. I've been sort of trying to accept and adapt, but my 25 year old self refuses to accept the acceptance part. Our bodies grow older, but we often retain the mind set of someone much younger. I just made a note to remind myself to get comfortable with my discomfort.

Who ever said firearms guys aren't smart!

Site Supporter
    BN, thank you for your input. I'm sorry not to have mentioned shoulders. I have one that acts up from time-to-time. It's a little ironic that you suggest using a mild pain killer prior to shooting as I was pondering it yesterday while looking at a bottle of ibuprofen. I'm going to take two today before going to the range. The only time I take them is for an occasional headache. Now it's time to test them for other pain.

Don't quote me here, but I seem to recall reading ibuprofen is safer to take than Tylenol. If used regularly Tylenol can damage your liver or some other important organ. I'll look that up after I finish this message. You should check on it too.

Be well, hit what you're aiming at!

danko--

@JCN @Clusterfrack

What say you to the idea that working on target focused shooting vs hard front sight focus might be some advantage in the OP's situation?

My intuition is suggesting that might make it easier to stay on target with less deviation when the shock hits.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    JHC, thank you for your suggestion. I think it's entirely valid. I haven't yet tried, experimented with target focused shooting, but I should work with it and see how I perform. I need to add more tools/techniques to my shooting basket. No one tool or technique can solve all problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    @JCN @Clusterfrack

What say you to the idea that working on target focused shooting vs hard front sight focus might be some advantage in the OP's situation?

My intuition is suggesting that might make it easier to stay on target with less deviation when the shock hits.
    I think that is very reasonable.

I think that if one were to keep attention on the mechanics and the relationship of the gun to the target, no matter what the focal length was… it would help.

(Let me clarify… if you were front sight focused, you’d still really be paying attention to target even if it wasn’t in focus… sure it’s less of a given, but when done right you’re still super aware of where things are even if they’re not in focus).

Keep in mind that I recommended @Danko move to RDS earlier but he declined. He might want to check the RDS era thread where it’s proven that new shooters advance more rapidly with RDS over irons and reconsider.

I’ll tell you that I’ve shot matches and drills where I’ve caught hot sizzling brass in sensitive places and you continue with the task at hand despite the distraction. It takes commitment, but I’m sure I’m not alone in people who have had to continue executing the task despite suboptimal and changing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I recall reading somewhere, "growing older isn't for the faint hearted, you have to put on your big boy pants". Isn't that true. After 50 we wake up and wonder why our left knee, right elbow, etc. hurts.
    But keeping the joints in shape is quite easy. I know because I hurt my knee quite bad in a paramotor accident (sounds more dramatic than it really was, but the knee was hurt seriously). And now, it's fine again. The solution is: Good stretching exercises. For the knees, I've already posted some info here:

pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46096-Knee-issues&p=1163143&viewfull=1#post1163143
    pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46096-Knee-issues&p=1164062&viewfull=1#post1164062

If anybody is interested, I'll be glad to give more info. My expertise on efficient stretching exercises meanwhile are: knees, hips and back. In a few days, I'll be 52 years old and thanks to such exercises I can still run 2700 m in the Cooper test (i.e. 1.7 miles in 12 minutes).
    Last edited by P30; 10-07-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    P30, thanks a bunch for your input on an important topic. Germans, oh yeah, they excel in many areas. I may take advice from a German ahead of an American, no bias intended. I am well aware of the importance of establishing a regular stretching routine. I personally don't have a routine. I'm one of those who stretches a little now and then when I think about it.

I expect the links you provided will help some folks. thank you! Maybe this thread will pick up steam and we can help diminish physical ailments. That's my goal!

danko--

Site Supporter

Smile Arthritic Hands, Fingers

gringop

I don't know why this didn't come to mind the minute I read your message, forgive my stupid oversight.

If you have never tried Blue Emu cream, I suggest you try it. It's not a product with wild claims and no performance. I have been using it on my hands/fingers for near 10 years. It's not a miracle product that will halt your pain and discomfort. What it will do is alleviate some of the pain and discomfort and restore some flexibility to your joints. I apply it once a day. I tried applying it several times, but that doesn't change its effect. It's a little pricey, but it's worth the price to me. Stores sell it for 30-35 bucks for a 12 ounce jar, but I get mine online for around 27 bucks. Use Google and search for Emu cream deal, or some such thing. You should find a site that offers two 12 ounce jars for 54 bucks or so.

I've been playing guitar for 50 years, hard to believe that number. I still play at least an hour a day, and the Emu cream makes that possible

For others who have arthritic fingers, wrists, or other joints, I whole heartedly recommend trying Blue Emu cream!

danko--
    Last edited by Danko; 10-07-2022 at 08:43 PM.

I think this is an important topic. Particularly for those newer to shooting, regardless of age.

In any physical endeavor there are going to be people that are biologically pre-disposed to that endeavor and those that aren’t. You can’t be a dwarf and expect to play in the NBA. Everyone knows this. It’s also why women’s sports exist. Can’t compete. Even in shooting, something many may not consider highly physically demanding, even at the highest level, there’s still a men’s and a women’s trophy. Am I gonna get beat by a Miculek girl? You betcha. But she still gets beat by her dad at twice her age.

For the most part, humans do what makes them feel good, and doing well at something makes you feel good, and you do well at things you’re naturally good at. When you look at someone that’s having success at a high level, it’s likely because they have more natural ability than others. Yes, they still have to put in the work to reach the top, but the entire endeavor stems from a natural ability in the first place.

All of that to say, just like women getting depressed because they don’t look like supermodels, don’t hold yourself to some achievement you see on the internet. At the end of the day you have to do you, and that is going to include a formula based on money, time, physical limitations, natural ability, etc.

For years I beat myself up about various issues with handgun shooting. I’d engage in training, practice, dryfire, etc. etc. and while I’d see some improvement, it never was remarkable.however, I did well at rifle shooting and, besides the fact that rifle is easier, could also see more gains in performance with similar regimen around training and practice. I taught people to shoot pistils better than I can because I understand the fundamentals there’s just some disconnect in executing them.

My right arm was shredded in a car accident when I was 19, and I just kept assuming that the issue was me, not the arm. It finally occurred to me that the flinch was largely because it actually hurts. Some of my other issues were related to the way the muscles were stitched back together almost 30 years ago.

I agree with what @JCN said about finding games and pursuits that you enjoy and that work with whatever physical limitations you may have. I’m loving the PCC explosion in various action shooting games. My wife and I discovered sporting clays and that’s been a great hobby for the two of us. I don’t *need* to be a grandmaster with a pistol.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think this is an important topic. Particularly for those newer to shooting, regardless of age.

In any physical endeavor there are going to be people that are biologically pre-disposed to that endeavor and those that aren’t. You can’t be a dwarf and expect to play in the NBA. Everyone knows this. It’s also why women’s sports exist. Can’t compete. Even in shooting, something many may not consider highly physically demanding, even at the highest level, there’s still a men’s and a women’s trophy. Am I gonna get beat by a Miculek girl? You betcha. But she still gets beat by her dad at twice her age.

For the most part, humans do what makes them feel good, and doing well at something makes you feel good, and you do well at things you’re naturally good at. When you look at someone that’s having success at a high level, it’s likely because they have more natural ability than others. Yes, they still have to put in the work to reach the top, but the entire endeavor stems from a natural ability in the first place.

All of that to say, just like women getting depressed because they don’t look like supermodels, don’t hold yourself to some achievement you see on the internet. At the end of the day you have to do you, and that is going to include a formula based on money, time, physical limitations, natural ability, etc.

For years I beat myself up about various issues with handgun shooting. I’d engage in training, practice, dryfire, etc. etc. and while I’d see some improvement, it never was remarkable.however, I did well at rifle shooting and, besides the fact that rifle is easier, could also see more gains in performance with similar regimen around training and practice. I taught people to shoot pistils better than I can because I understand the fundamentals there’s just some disconnect in executing them.

My right arm was shredded in a car accident when I was 19, and I just kept assuming that the issue was me, not the arm. It finally occurred to me that the flinch was largely because it actually hurts. Some of my other issues were related to the way the muscles were stitched back together almost 30 years ago.

I agree with what @JCN said about finding games and pursuits that you enjoy and that work with whatever physical limitations you may have. I’m loving the PCC explosion in various action shooting games. My wife and I discovered sporting clays and that’s been a great hobby for the two of us. I don’t *need* to be a grandmaster with a pistol.
    Have you thought about converting shooting pistol left-handed?

User Tag List