Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Physical Limitations

I started shooting, training and competing seriously in the late 90s. My peak was around 2010, I was practicing around twice a week, shooting IDPA and carbine matches twice a month and made IDPA Master. I was a "carry a gun (G-19) everyday and everywhere" guy. I've shot left handed all my life and would usually switch to shooting right handed for a month or so each year to keep my support hand shooting strong.

I've had Reumatiod Arthritis since 94 but have managed it pretty well with an assortment of RA specific drugs. Aside from taping my wrists for support, I had no issues shooting heavy 45 Colt and 10mm pistol loads and 7mm Mag and 45-70 rifle loads.

In 2013 my time commitments at work became greater and I stopped shooting matches and was practicing only once every 3 months. I still carried a G-19 everywhere I legaly could and usualy had a LCP in a pocket for backup.

In 2020, I found that I could not shoot the LCP with it's short trigger due to left trigger finger joint degeneration. I switched to using a J-frame for backup.

By 2021, I could no longer shoot the G-19 and J-frame left handed because of further trigger finger issues, I also had Rotator Cuff and Arthritis issues with my left shoulder, I could not draw from my IWB holster or shoot rifles left handed. Physical Therapy over a few months improved the shoulder but the left trigger finger was never going to be flexible enough for pistol work. I can use it for longer reach 4lbs rifle triggers.

After the shoulder PT improvement, my SOP was to carry the J-frame in the left front pocket but transfer to the right to shoot. The G-19 was the same, my left hand fingers were too weak for manipulations like racking the slide and efficent reloads but my right finger was the only one that worked on the trigger.

With in the last 2 months, my RA meds are working so well that I am able to draw and holster with my right hand so I am starting to carry the G-19 on my right side. I feel like I'm back at the beginning, trying to learn how to handle a gun from the holster. My right shoulder has arthritis issues so I'm not going to try any fast holster work.

Changes I've made to compensate:

1. I lowered the power factor on my 9mm reloads back in 2019, I was still shooting a higher round count and wanted to ease the strain on my wrists.
    old 124 gr. FM 1100fps
    new 124 gr. FM 990fps

2. Made some Powder puff 38SP loads for J-frame practice, light as hell but smokes and very dirty.
    old 125gr FMJ +P 1009fps
    new 158gr LSWC 615fps

3. Light 300 gr ammo using Trail Boss for 45-70, shoots like a pistol caliber rifle.
    300gr 1273fps

4. Lower the round count at each practice session.

5. Lower the weight off of my ARs. I love my suppressor and 1-8 LVPO but I've got to get them lighter to be able to manipulate them easier.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    In my year and a half of being involved with handguns, I read 30-40 books on pistol shooting, self defense, competition etc. Of that group, Only a dozen or so remain on my bookshelf
    Can you name your 3 favorites?

Lena Miculek does beat her dad from time to time. Not only is Lena a women, she's also quite small, but that doesn't prevent for shooting all type of guns like a boss.
    Because her dad taught he excellent technique and she trained a lot.

If a weak or somehow handicapped person performs great, I get very interested. Because then there is a very useful lecture to learn! Probably the person has great technique.

Site Supporter
    AzShooter,

thank you for sharing your story! While it is somewhat sad, it also offers encouragement to shooters who are faced with various physical challenges. I'm glad to hear you're doing well with your weight reduction. I offer you all the encouragement in the world!

I had no idea a course of fire could be as long as four miles, as I never competed. I probably would have guessed courses were no more than 1/2 mile. A four mile course is a workout in itself. I have to get involved with this stuff. I would get in a workout while having a lot of fun. It would be a double win situation!

Keep up the great work~

Site Supporter
    I have a couple of good pistol self defense books by Massad Ayoob, a good self defense book by Gabriel Suarez, a good shooting book by Ben Stoeger, and a good shooting book by Brad Engmann. I have a few other decent books.

Who can recommend a good book or two that are reasonably priced?

AzShooter,

thank you for sharing your story! While it is somewhat sad, it also offers encouragement to shooters who are faced with various physical challenges. I'm glad to hear you're doing well with your weight reduction. I offer you all the encouragement in the world!

I had no idea a course of fire could be as long as four miles, as I never competed. I probably would have guessed courses were no more than 1/2 mile. A four mile course is a workout in itself. I have to get involved with this stuff. I would get in a workout while having a lot of fun. It would be a double win situation!

Keep up the great work~
    Actually, the problem is that you have to walk down range for each stage and back about 150 yards for each of the 8 stages, then there's the distance between bays etc. I measured it out with my pedometer today and it was only 3 miles.

Site Supporter
    AzShooter,

Now I understand why there's so much distance involved, three miles is still is pretty good distance.

My son is 4 and has been coming to matches since he was 2. I hope we're shooting together in 40 years. You guys are inspirational pushing through and competing.

User Tag List