Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Utlity of Noise Alarms

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Some people are rigging them into model rocket recovery gear to assist in locating the rocket once it's back on the ground. That's useful, if you're into that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Does anyone have a link for suitable devices? maybe one that my 9yo could use? A loud alarm, at my son's school, ,or the kid's playground would certainly not be a noise easily ignored.

Now, if you gave my Chinese wife a bullhorn, you'd have to register her as a weapon off mass descruction. She's loud AF in normal conversation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    One thing comes to my mind:

In Germany, police recommends the defender to call the aggressor "Sie" and not "Du". "Sie" is the 2nd person pronoun for a stranger and it is usually polite. "Du" is for a familiar person, e.g. a friend, but it can also express that you don't have respect for the other person. Reason: Observers should know that the defender is attacked by a stranger, it's not a kind of family dispute. Normally, I would not intervene in a family dispute. How can you make this unambiguous in English for every observer? I think this is also important.
    Typically "cocksucking motherfucker" is what I prefer in English for unfamiliar acquaintances laying hands on me.

If my kids are shouting it, it's liable to get attention.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I urge my wife to take note of derelicts in the area that she plans to shop and to cancel the store visit if she sees such. Also I pointed out that parking in the middle or back of a large parking lot is unwise. About alarms. I carry an old school police whistle. Years ago I put one on my key ring to use as a signaling device while playing along field and stream.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Typically "cocksucking motherfucker" is what I prefer in English for unfamiliar acquaintances laying hands on me
    Channeling Al Swearengen?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I urge my wife to take note of derelicts in the area that she plans to shop and to cancel the store visit if she sees such. Also I pointed out that parking in the middle or back of a large parking lot is unwise. About alarms. I carry an old school police whistle. Years ago I put one on my key ring to use as a signaling device while playing along field and stream.
    Tactics my wife has used successfully:
    -Reaching for the gun in her purse (but not drawing it) while yelling sternly, "Get the fuck away from me!"
    -Asking some construction guys to walk her to her car because there was some asshole hanging around the doors to the grocery store.
    -Having her armed private security contractor (me) with her.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If she wanted to add it as another layer to her personal defense, I don't see the harm. She could push the button at an inkling of trouble, and see if there's a response. Continued approach she could go to OC.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Some people are rigging them into model rocket recovery gear to assist in locating the rocket once it's back on the ground. That's useful, if you're into that.
    My mind leapt to the vision of using model rockets as personal protection RPGs, with fish hook barbed points releasing OC and shrieking alarms locating the offender for the coppers.
    It...was kinda cool.

Site Supporter
    I bought a couple from Midway as I had some store credit with them. Can't hurt to put on the keychain. The women have Sabre pepper sprays already.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I bought a couple from Midway as I had some store credit with them. Can't hurt to put on the keychain. The women have Sabre pepper sprays already.
    It be worth considering a switch to POM. I find POM easier to carry and easy to deploy. My wife stuck Sabre in her purse and there it sat. POM on the other hand goes into her pocket quite frequently.

I'm working through some of the same concerns about employing OC with a neighbor who was recently attacked by an off-leash pitbull in a park.

"I didn't spray the dog, because I didn't want to get hit with spray or have my dog get hit with spray."

She's a very smart and rational woman, once I explained she can decontaminate her dog by pouring some milk on him that helped. As for her, splash back is probably limited due to deployment distance (short), direction of aim (down), and spray type (stream). But giving her a POM inert trainer, a few targets to hit, and a fan for some wind demonstrates this for her in a concrete way.

User Tag List