Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utlity of Noise Alarms

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Screaming and yelling like a mad person may not be an attractive option for an older woman:

1. They may feel inhibited in such for various social reasons. Or they don't have the vocal power.

2. OC is carried but reluctant to deploy because of side effects.
    It may be that a class in your area that has a section that covers spray and situational awareness maybe they would let her sit in for just that part? SouthNarc was willing to do that for one of my female family members although in the end she didnt go.
    Have you tried working with her with one of those water filled trainers?
    I can fully understand why someone, especially female or eldery, would be reluctant to be exposed to it.
    Heres a visual of how it works hope it helps

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Maybe test a person's capacity for tolerating OC by doing a light "Eye Wipe"? That was how we introduced it to in-service training in the 90s.
    It avoids the full on effect of being sprayed and still gauges if they're panic prone.
    We certainly had a few people who refused to deploy it after that for fear of backspray.
    If they pass that, then spray an area and let them walk toward it until it hits their lungs so they experience that effect, but they're still in control of the amount of exposure.
    They will then know that a) it's pretty effective and b) it's not going to kill them if they breathe some.
    By this incremental approach you sidestep the perhaps overblown fear of the effect of the spray thus enabling them to prime themselves emotionally to employ it.
    I think joining the 2 devices has a lot of merit, especially for women. The spray to break up the assault and the alarm to make the attacker believe he is on a clock.
    A device that combined OC, an earsplitting alarm and a blinding light/impact device would seem to be a logical weapon design.
    Aim a small baton flashlight at a suspected threat and light it up. If the threat advances the second triggering would spray OC and set off the screecher. If it turns into a FUT, start whaling him about the head and shoulders with the bezel.
    Hell, add an aiming laser too as an added deterrent. I've sparkled many an idjit with the TASER that acted like the laser actually hurt.

Out of curiosity, since wind is a "problem" I went out to my garage with an inert POM trainer and turned on an old desk fan that has one speed - high. It blows hard enough to blow an uncinched hood off my head. Standing three feet from it, I raised the canister to eye level (no arm extension) and I shot a stream over the fan, under the fan, and through the fan. I caught a few drops of splash back. Might be enough to tingle the skin with real spray. Nothing close to a full dose of spray however.

Unless you're standing directly in the path of a hurricane, in a wind tunnel, or maybe on a day with 40mph gusts with a stream of spray, I'm not sure how you get enough dose back. Can it happen? Sure. But it's more likely with a cone spray, as opposed to a strong stream.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Channeling Al Swearengen?
    My initial thought weras: what does this have to do a rather svelte line of aircraft? Google sorted me out, Deadwood was a great series. What a difference an E makes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Channeling Al Swearengen?
    Basically always lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    This discussion made us check our OC spray expiration dates. Oops, 1/2022. Thus off to the LGS for new ones. You can't mail order in NYS because that would cause rioting, murder, sedition, dogs and cats living together and other mayhem. Wife pointed that out. She has take some H2H but at our age, distance tools are better. Not a gun person though.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Maybe test a person's capacity for tolerating OC by doing a light "Eye Wipe"? That was how we introduced it to in-service training in the 90s.
    It avoids the full on effect of being sprayed and still gauges if they're panic prone.
    We certainly had a few people who refused to deploy it after that for fear of backspray.
    If they pass that, then spray an area and let them walk toward it until it hits their lungs so they experience that effect, but they're still in control of the amount of exposure.
    They will then know that a) it's pretty effective and b) it's not going to kill them if they breathe some.
    By this incremental approach you sidestep the perhaps overblown fear of the effect of the spray thus enabling them to prime themselves emotionally to employ it.
    I think joining the 2 devices has a lot of merit, especially for women. The spray to break up the assault and the alarm to make the attacker believe he is on a clock.
    A device that combined OC, an earsplitting alarm and a blinding light/impact device would seem to be a logical weapon design.
    Aim a small baton flashlight at a suspected threat and light it up. If the threat advances the second triggering would spray OC and set off the screecher. If it turns into a FUT, start whaling him about the head and shoulders with the bezel.
    Hell, add an aiming laser too as an added deterrent. I've sparkled many an idjit with the TASER that acted like the laser actually hurt.
    Great post! I was just discussing spray with a person who has had it as part of a class but they never used actual spray. We discussed they actually need to experience it this seems to be a very good approach. Ill be passing this along now I need to find a link to the cleaner or deactivator for the spray.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    It may be that a class in your area that has a section that covers spray and situational awareness maybe they would let her sit in for just that part? SouthNarc was willing to do that for one of my female family members although in the end she didnt go.
    Have you tried working with her with one of those water filled trainers?
    I can fully understand why someone, especially female or eldery, would be reluctant to be exposed to it.
    Heres a visual of how it works hope it helps

A video of how it works if it works.

Don’t expect that sort of reaction / effectiveness in all applications.

I'm a streamer guy.

I think one of the primary mistakes folks make when using OC is that they use too little. You want a good 2 to 3 seconds on target, drench the assailant.

Another primary error is showing the OC before deploying and/or giving a warning. Ducking your head, closing your eyes, and holding your breath are all potential defensive measures which can be put into play if the assailant has warning.

These are two of the high points discussed with ladies in convenience stores during my five-minute 'Have you ever had any training with that keychain OC' course. Coming to a quick shop parking lot near you.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List