Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 10 round magazines for G19 & G31?

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Is this a proposed new law or rule change? I won't be heading for CA until Dec 1
    There is a potential to vacate the magazine ban in Nov/Dec perhaps starting another freedom week or longer.

I am sure the state will try to throw this back into limbo, but we might get a window to import some more regular capacity mags into CA.

Duncan V. Bonta is the case we are watching closely in CA.

I had the most luck with Magpul 10 rounders in my G19 while in Hawaii. I shot very little JHP through them though, because of price and availability. But I had perfect mag related reliability for a few years out there with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As previously discussed and documented, including here at PF, Glock 10rd magazines for the G19 and G17 are NOT reliable enough for defensive or duty purposes based on actual testing in multiple G19 and G17 pistols using duty ammunition. In every Glock armorer class I have taken, the G19/G17 OEM 10 rd mags were specifically mentioned as not being acceptable for duty/defensive use due to reliability issues compared to standard capacity OEM G19/G17 mags.

If you want to have a reliable 10 rd 9mm Glock in California, get a G26 (3rd gen) or take a G19 (3rd gen) using 10 rd mags, cut it down to accept G26's OEM mags, also as previously documented here at PF: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-rd-mag-limits
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As previously discussed and documented, including here at PF, Glock 10rd magazines for the G19 and G17 are NOT reliable enough for defensive or duty purposes based on actual testing in multiple G19 and G17 pistols using duty ammunition. In every Glock armorer class I have taken, the G19/G17 OEM 10 rd mags were specifically mentioned as not being acceptable for duty/defensive use due to reliability issues compared to standard capacity OEM G19/G17 mags.

If you want to have a reliable 10 rd 9mm Glock in California, get a G26 (3rd gen) or take a G19 (3rd gen) using 10 rd mags, cut it down to accept G26's OEM mags, also as previously documented here at PF: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-rd-mag-limits
    Gary, I'll echo what you're saying, but would be interested if you've concurrently experimented with the Magpul 10 rounders for the G19 and G17. It seems that those who have tried, including myself have had success with them, at least to date. Using them is certainly a less drastic approach then subjecting one's G19 to the knife/Dremel, or going to a G26 (not that the G26 or G48 is a bad choice).

Best, Jon

During the Clinton ban I used 10 round OEM Glock magazines in both my GEN two and G3 19 and never had a problem. That being said I would heed the advice of those with more experience that saw multiple pistols and multiple events.

When Glock can’t crack the code on 10 Round magazines I’m not sure how Magpil can because they can’t crack the code on standard magazines.

Also I wonder why people are trying to save six or seven bucks a magazine to use non-OEM and then have to shoot a bunch of ammo in OEM mags to regain confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    During the Clinton ban I used 10 round OEM Glock magazines in both my GEN two and G3 19 and never had a problem. That being said I would heed the advice of those with more experience that saw multiple pistols and multiple events.

When Glock can’t crack the code on 10 Round magazines I’m not sure how Magpil can because they can’t crack the code on standard magazines.

Also I wonder why people are trying to save six or seven bucks a magazine to use non-OEM and then have to shoot a bunch of ammo in OEM mags to regain confidence.
    While I totally agree that OEM Glock magazines are the way to go with the G17/G19 platforms regarding full capacity magazines, those of us in states with capacity limits unfortunately need to now default to the 10 rounders-hence the basis for the thread discussion regarding viable 10 rounders. Apparently there's insufficient financial impetus for Glock to redesign their G17/G19 10 round magazines, so Magpul has stepped into the market niche (fortunately, or we'd have even more compelling reasons to chop our guns to facilitate G26 magazines or switch platforms entirely).

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    My EDC is a G26 with factory mags and HST, Critical Duty rounds usually. The 10 rounds are for my G17 match guns and my Ruger PCC. So far little problems with FMJ. I wouldn't carry the G17 with a 10 rounder, why bother? If I were to carry that size gun (why?), it would be my 1911. Sadly, I ditched a bunch of standard Glock mags coming to Gov. Hochul land (family, so that's that). If Scotus and lower courts EVER wipe out mag bans, then I will rethink.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While I totally agree that OEM Glock magazines are the way to go with the G17/G19 platforms regarding full capacity magazines, those of us in states with capacity limits unfortunately need to now default to the 10 rounders-hence the basis for the thread discussion regarding viable 10 rounders. Apparently there's insufficient financial impetus for Glock to redesign their G17/G19 10 round magazines, so Magpul has stepped into the market niche (fortunately, or we'd have even more compelling reasons to chop our guns to facilitate G26 magazines or switch platforms entirely).

Best, Jon
    I live in the “425”

Debating a used G5 19 if prices drop. Held off knowing there would eventually be a ban.

Our state will likely follow Cali meaning after an AR ban or restrictions next will be to completely ban regular cap mags so if that is the case then a move to a different platform with reliable 10 rounders for full sized use may be in order.

Will stick with the 26 for serious use (or a “grandfathered” gift from our liberal Monarchy) in the 17/19 platform.

Maybe before dumping off the platforms, you get some 10rd now and test em with hp. Hard to do if the money isn’t there which I get. I’m broke as hell.

I know the mags have been tested and some have had issues but tons of ppl in ban states run their 10rd mags with hp and ball with good results. I haven’t had the chance to shoot my Gen 5 much but in the past I had Gen 4 and 10rd and went through hp vetting and lots of ball.

I have a few friends that have shot way more than me and are much better shooters and only one I know of had issues.

I think if you’re a 19 shooter and your state is going all banny, try out some 10rd and some HP before dumping your 17/19

This is also a talk to myself as these types of threads have made me dump Glocks in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Maybe before dumping off the platforms, you get some 10rd now and test em with hp. Hard to do if the money isn’t there which I get. I’m broke as hell.

I know the mags have been tested and some have had issues but tons of ppl in ban states run their 10rd mags with hp and ball with good results. I haven’t had the chance to shoot my Gen 5 much but in the past I had Gen 4 and 10rd and went through hp vetting and lots of ball.

I have a few friends that have shot way more than me and are much better shooters and only one I know of had issues.

I think if you’re a 19 shooter and your state is going all banny, try out some 10rd and some HP before dumping your 17/19

This is also a talk to myself as these types of threads have made me dump Glocks in the past.
    Let’s see……One great reason to not use the OEM Glock 10 round mags is Glock says don’t use them.

User Tag List