I’m new here, yet an old hand in training circles, moved here from another forum I was a long time member on due to the lack of people taking their training seriously or doing any at all. I’m pretty sure some of you know me, (Matthew03 elsewhere). I figured I would move some of my older AAR’s over here as a start.

I met Nate Carr, at dinner one Friday night in Winchester, Va., mid-July, we were attending a Performance 360 pistol course. I liked his easy-going demeanor and humor instantly. The next day in class I was informed I had met Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. Carr the previous evening, He would be working as Ashton Ray and Tim Chandler’s assistant instructor for the class. 360P is top shelf study, very refined material with two very polished instructors, Nate’s coaching was phenomenal, I witnessed him diagnose and correct all kinds of different issues, all while being positive and reinforcing the instruction, not a typical AI. Later, I realize 360P is atypical all together, that’s another story...

We have many of the same mentors, I shot with Nate in several different JDC, FPF, and 360P instructional classes over the summer and fall, each time he was a joy to have as a classmate, and wicked good to cheer on/compete with, (he won some, I won the important ones) LOL. Recently, His day job has been teaching Marines to shoot, now that he is nearing retirement from his service, he has made the move into open enrollment instruction.

The course was held on John Murphy’s (FPF Training) home range in Culpepper, Virginia. I very much appreciate John setting Nate up with the use of his facilities, that’s telling to the astute, that there is confidence from another storied program. There was a mixed skill enrollment, two very new shooters, several Marines, a Fed, and two civilians who train year-round. Many would consider that not ideal for a first run class, yet I caught moments of enlightenment across the line, for each level. Safety was the top priority, expectations were laid out, a plan for injury/illness, communications/medic/seconds, and evacuation vehicle assigned.

The lesson plan became a bit front heavy for some of the folks ~ two hours in, my end of the line didn’t notice, I felt the pace was perfect for us, a few started to get overwhelmed. Nate adjusted, with the help of his AI and RSO, some additional coaching to grasp the concepts, and a change of pace for their benefit. The proof is in the performance: the shooter who had no formal training was meeting fairly tight par times, getting multiple good hits from holster at 15 yards by the end of the day. The guys that put their lives on the line all saw groups tighten, and an increase in efficiency, as well as their confidence level.

A talented teacher, Nate has a very laid back, confident style. His explanations are to the point with no unnecessary flourish. I found that beneficial when the subjects covered, started small with how to shoot and advanced quickly to complicated, with precise engagements of a threat. A large chunk of material was taught and absorbed in eight hours using a layered approach, each new task was explained in detail, demonstrated by an instructor, and then performed by the students under supervision (I will circle back to supervision).

Anyone can instruct, teaching comes from the heart, the lineage Nate is feeding from, students are considered as a gift and a great responsibility. Gunny Carr has been looking after war time Marines for a long time now, I hear he was good at it. Good attracts good, Tim Chandler served as his AI, anyone who has trained with “Savage Teddy Ruxpin” knows what’s up, (my guy can turn people into seriously skilled shooters, awesome coaching and diagnostic skills). RSO: Sid Hartman, I’ve studied on Sid’s ranges for a while now, his presence is felt, and his breaktime stories are legendary, the guy makes hard training fun. Sid’s calm steady demeanor and watchful presence, I often notice him catching a straggler up. There is no better cheerleader for someone who finally grasps a difficult task than Sid, he likes a win.

A great start to what I expect will be a remarkable program. I want my instructors to be students first, never satisfied with their level of expertise. Always looking to give more to their students. The idea that there is not one right way, but teaching multiple ways, and letting the student find what works best for them and their individual mechanics. I’m blessed to be getting passed around those types of programs. Watch for a Forged Accuracy class list in the future.

For the gear-dos: I ran a stock Gen. 5 G17 MOS, Holosun 509T, from a Tenicore Velo AIWB, Ares Ageis Belt from concealment. All other students were running war belts and duty holsters.
Mostly Glocks, a P229 Legion SAO, some Marines and the Fed were running P320’s/M18’s.