Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A project to De-Bubba an old pump gun

A project to De-Bubba an old pump gun

Inherited a High Standard K120 Riot Gun that is in almost never fired condition from appearance, so I figure it's worth a little effort to get to shooting condition to have as a shop gun.

It's problem is that my stepdad went full Bubba on it. He put a pic rail on it and didn't bother to have it drilled and tapped for screws. That had an old Bushnell Holosight EOTechlike clone thingy clamped on it. I strongly suspect he used JB Weld to glue it on.

He also concocted a UGE! cheek riser and a truly airsoft worthy elastic buttcuff which he nailed onto the stock. That part I can deal with. I'll probably just fill the holes and rattle can it.

Going to take a propane torch to the rail to hopefully get it separated sometime this week. Receiver is steel so it shouldn't be hurt temper wise but I really hate to jack the bluing since it in really nice shape. I'll probably have to rattlecan that too.

Sight was already removed and placed by the rail for a pic.

Name:  IMG_0288 2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0289.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  26.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  36.5 KB

The cheek riser after I'd started in with my knife.

Name:  IMG_0287.jpg
Size:  64.5 KB

The aftermath.

Name:  IMG_0292.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  40.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Inherited a High Standard K120 Riot Gun that is in almost never fired condition from appearance, so I figure it's worth a little effort to get to shooting condition to have as a shop gun.

It's problem is that my stepdad went full Bubba on it. He put a pic rail on it and didn't bother to have it drilled and tapped for screws. That had an old Bushnell Holosight EOTechlike clone thingy clamped on it. I strongly suspect he used JB Weld to glue it on.

He also concocted a UGE! cheek riser and a truly airsoft worthy elastic buttcuff which he nailed onto the stock. That part I can deal with. I'll probably just fill the holes and rattle can it.

Going to take a propane torch to the rail to hopefully get it separated sometime this week. Receiver is steel so it shouldn't be hurt temper wise but I really hate to jack the bluing since it in really nice shape. I'll probably have to rattlecan that too.

Sight was already removed and placed by the rail for a pic.

Name:  IMG_0288 2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0289.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  26.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Size:  36.5 KB
    The Bushnell Holosight is the original holographic reflex sight. Eotech bought the design / rights from Bushnell.

If it's functional, you might get some money for it on ARFCOM from a 90's/early GWOT military rifle cloner.

That Bushnell Holosight is a very good sight actually.

I had one for years on a couple different guns, eventually placing it on an S&W M&P AR-22 rimfire trainer that I used as a sub caliber trainer.

Then I ended up stealing it "temporarily" to use on a Ruger Security 6 .357, and it has been on there ever since. The thing works like a charm.

Big old goofy thing has a great sight picture and holds zero perfectly with full power .357 loads.

If it is JB Weld, I recall that can be removed with Acetone.
    Taking a break from social media.

Wow. Just, wow.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    If it is JB Weld, I recall that can be removed with Acetone.
    Take a hot iron and set it on top of the pic rail. That will soften the JB Weld enough to get the rail off. After that the acetone should work.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I came very close to tossing the Holosight in the trash last night. But I thought I’d pick up a set of batteries and see if it still works. If it does maybe it’ll find a home on my lever gun.

The Duracell batteries do what Duracell alkaline batteries do and had leaked. The contacts appear to be unphased by it so we’ll see I guess.

I pulled this thing out to use as a backup to my Browning at an upcoming class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it stripped down. I think I'll dunk it in acetone for a week before I light the torch. I'm skeptical that it will make it under that rail but it's worth a shot I think. I'm beginning to wonder if this gun has even been fired after leaving the factory. It is pristine except for the nail holes in the stock from Bubba. The bore is like a mirror.

Name:  IMG_0294.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  23.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Have you test fired this shotgun to verify that it goes bang and operates without malfunction? Most likely it's ok, but you won't know unless you verify.

User Tag List