Thread: Seeking LE input RE possible performance /QC issue of RA9B ammo

Seeking LE input RE possible performance /QC issue of RA9B ammo

I am involved in a formal investigation involving 2018 and 2019 production Ranger RA9B ammunition. This is prior to the introduction of the polymer insert. I do have lot numbers and production dates. I cannot provide further details or discuss this publicly as this is an open investigation, but I can provide limited information to appropriate persons privately, and would be very interested in any information from other LE agencies/personnel concerning any performance or QC issues for Winchester RA9B manufactured in the 2018-2019 time period, or the absence of such issues.

I am aware of 2013 issues concerning this ammo. That is not an issue in this inquiry.

Please contact me privately if you are able and willing to provide any assistance. Your input can be treated as confidential if you wish. This issue is time-sensitive. Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide and sorry to be somewhat cryptic.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I am involved in a formal investigation involving 2018 and 2019 production Ranger RA9B ammunition. This is prior to the introduction of the polymer insert. I do have lot numbers and production dates. I cannot provide further details or discuss this publicly as this is an open investigation, but I can provide limited information to appropriate persons privately, and would be very interested in any information from other LE agencies/personnel concerning any performance or QC issues for Winchester RA9B manufactured in the 2018-2019 time period, or the absence of such issues.

I am aware of 2013 issues concerning this ammo. That is not an issue in this inquiry.

Please contact me privately if you are able and willing to provide any assistance. Your input can be treated as confidential if you wish. This issue is time-sensitive. Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide and sorry to be somewhat cryptic.
    The issues are larger than just RA9B. Our experience was with RA40T, but I can discuss it if you'd like to PM me.

Site Supporter
    PM out to you.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Not 9A9B related…but definitely Winchester related.

Last week I taught BLET (police academy in NC) and for the first time we were supplied with Winchester 115GR 9mm ammo for the cadets. I have NEVER seen so many Failures To Fire in my life. We shot roughly 20,000 rounds of the stuff and had more than 20 FTF’s. I realize that percentage wise that very small but we never had that problem when we used CCI Lawman or anything else produced by ATK.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    we were supplied with Winchester 115GR 9mm ammo for the cadets..
    Which particular sku?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Major QC issues noted in that time period....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Not 9A9B related…but definitely Winchester related.

Last week I taught BLET (police academy in NC) and for the first time we were supplied with Winchester 115GR 9mm ammo for the cadets. I have NEVER seen so many Failures To Fire in my life. We shot roughly 20,000 rounds of the stuff and had more than 20 FTF’s. I realize that percentage wise that very small but we never had that problem when we used CCI Lawman or anything else produced by ATK.
    DHS’ purple training ammo is Winchester and your experience matches our experience with it. I’m not worried about it since it’s cheap and means we get to shoot more.

Between that and our 2011-2013 issues with Winchester Ranger Bonded FTFs I would be worried if we went to Winchester Duty ammo though.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Which particular sku?
    I should have taken a picture of the box. I believe it was bought through Dana Safety Supply here in NC. I know that doesn’t help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Major QC issues noted in that time period...
    My old org dealt with significant issues with Glock Gen 3 M22 pistols in 2010/2011. Independent of the Glock-specific issues, we encountered many QA/QC issues with RA40T ammunition - our issued duty load.

I realize that percentage wise that very small but we never had that problem when we used CCI Lawman or anything else produced by ATK.
    I'm going on a tangent here (sometimes PF is all about the tangents..): in my police career I must have fired over 200K rounds of Lawman in .40 and 9mm. In all those rounds I experienced one squib, and maybe four or five that I didn't load into the mag because I spotted a backwards primer. Lawman is my training ammo of choice.

User Tag List