Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water leakage from a windowsill screw

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Its stated in the first post the house is under warranty. Id call the builder.
    My Moms home had a leak no flashing had ever been installed between the garage roof and the house wall. I had to be very insistent about the repairs as the leak had presented in the garage wall and the entry foyer. I wanted all the drywall that had gotten wet removed and insulation checked for moisture. If theres anything wet it has got to be replaced as now you have a potential mold issue.
    The builder most likely isnt going to like it, will try to minimize the potential and try to do it as cheaply as possible.
    I ended up talking to a supervisor but in the end it was done the most correct way.
    For a one-time, during-named-storm, leak I would NOT want the builder to start trying to fix things.

that's my point about it being possible to make things much worse for nothing.

I would absolutely put the builder on notice that a leak was detected, and include pictures in the documentation, but you could easily wind up with stucco patches, mis-matched paint, janky caulk joints, etc. and STILL wind up with leaks in the next named storm.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Their guy thinks he found an issue - there is a decorative horizontal line on the outside. There was a piece of plastic? he says that wasn't properly installed. He caulked over it.
    He recommends running a hose to test for leaks once it dries.
    Last edited by Andy T; 10-05-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For a one-time, during-named-storm, leak I would NOT want the builder to start trying to fix things.

that's my point about it being possible to make things much worse for nothing.

I would absolutely put the builder on notice that a leak was detected, and include pictures in the documentation, but you could easily wind up with stucco patches, mis-matched paint, janky caulk joints, etc. and STILL wind up with leaks in the next named storm.
    They would have to repaint the house and if it happened again come back and do it all over. Isnt the idea to find the problem first and then do the repairs? As I said nobody knows how long this has been going on, only that its just now been detected. I recall one member who bought a house and during a remodel it was found an entire wall had leakage and the wood had to be replaced with a +$10,000 cost.
    A lot of people know nothing about these home repairs or test that have been outlined here and dont have the tools or expertise to dive into it theirselves. Its kind of like doing gunsmithing with a dremel after watching a you tube video.
    Its the builders problem.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    The builder did send out their guy and he is looking around as we speak. The builder rep was also of the opinion that the caulking of the screw isn't good and there could be another issue.
    The only issue is that the 1 year warranty is up in about a month.
    I would think that a problem documented during the warranty period is the builders problem until its fixed.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Their guy thinks he found an issue - there is a decorative horizontal line on the outside. There was a piece of plastic? he says that wasn't properly installed. He caulked over it.
    He also tested drywall on the inside (sticking a screwdriver in) and it was powdery and white.

They would have to repaint the house and if it happened again come back and do it all over. Isnt the idea to find the problem first and then do the repairs? As I said nobody knows how long this has been going on, only that its just now been detected. I recall one member who bought a house and during a remodel it was found an entire wall had leakage and the wood had to be replaced with a +$10,000 cost.
    A lot of people know nothing about these home repairs or test that have been outlined here and dont have the tools or expertise to dive into it theirselves. Its kind of like doing gunsmithing with a dremel after watching a you tube video.
    Its the builders problem.
    I would think that a problem documented during the warranty period is the builders problem until its fixed.
    People are certainly welcome to boondoggle their way into whatever tarpit they want to with home builder warranty claims.

"builder's problem".

ETA:
    the rolleyes is more dickish than intended.

My point here is that people can be right, and still get themselves down a rabbit hole of BS. Yes, they may be "right", and it may be the "builder's problem", but it's important to weigh that against the actual details of the situation.
    Last edited by rob_s; 10-05-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

He also tested drywall on the inside (sticking a screwdriver in) and it was powdery and white.

the blue or the green or something else?
    Name:  2022-10-05 13_51_09-Water leakage from a windowsill screw.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  36.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    the blue or the green or something else?
    Name:  2022-10-05 13_51_09-Water leakage from a windowsill screw.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  36.7 KB
    Green line. He said there were also two big holes on the blue line that he filled in. He also advised the company to send the windows people to ensure no other issues.

Green line. He said there were also two big holes on the blue line that he filled in. He also advised the company to send the windows people to ensure no other issues.
    as we have mentioned, I wouldn't be too worried about the window itself, moreso the installation.

it sounds like you may have issues with the stucco accessories (pvc joints and other accessories that make reveals, terminations, etc.).

you might want to get eyes on what he's saying is "wrong" (post a picture here if you can) and go around looking to see if there are other similar issues elsewhere. It's pretty common that if the stucco guy screwed up in one spot he may have screwed up in others.

@rob_s is spot on. Same crew did all the detail work. I was heavily involved with EIFS testing in the 90s and have seen the extraordinary damage water in a wall can do. The problem with residential construction vs commercial is lack of architectural details and rigorous inspection. At least that's how it was before I left corporate Murica and commercial construction behind 6 years ago.

User Tag List