Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 25-20 Anyone?

Cool.

There's a local shop with an old bolt gun in 25-20. I might go look at it again.

I could not adjust the drum high enough to get both the bead, the rear factory notch, and the Marbles peep all aligned.
    That is not the way to do it.
    The best thing to do is to fold, lower, or remove the open sight so it does not clutter up the peep picture.
    Try it when you get the right height drum on the Marble's.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The original blade sight couldn’t be zeroed at 50yds with the rear at the lowest point on the elevator. Still shot high. Hence my poor math calculations and first replacement attempt. Already ordered up a couple shorter ones from Midway. I’m no longer trusting my arithmetic. They’re relatively cheap.

Why can’t you do both? I do have a filler plug for the rear dovetail. My thoughts were to zero the original rear for quick stuff, then have the folding Marbles for more precise shots. When I originally installed it all, I had the newly installed Marbles front bead, and the factory rear adjusted to the lowest notch on the elevator. Looking thru the tang sight, I was able to adjust it slowly by raising the barrel until the bead was both centered in the factory rear notch, as well as centered in the Marbles peep.

If everything is on the same horizontal and vertical plane, why wouldn’t it work?🤷

This shows promise.

Name:  F0E379C4-AB21-40B8-9049-DEAEFEBED58C.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  53.7 KB

For giggles this morning, took a single shot at 50yds with factory 86gr JSP. I was curious if the previous testing had leaded the bore or caused any shift from the original zero with the Winchester loads. Nope. Good enough for me.

Name:  C5B3F8CF-459C-497C-80C3-965596E23425.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  42.6 KB
    Last edited by entropy; 12-17-2022 at 12:54 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The original blade sight couldn’t be zeroed at 50yds with the rear at the lowest point on the elevator. Still shot high. Hence my poor math calculations and first replacement attempt. Already ordered up a couple shorter ones from Midway. I’m no longer trusting my arithmetic. They’re relatively cheap.
    If it hits high, don't you need a taller front sight? Maths is hard for me sometimes.

The original blade sight...
    Where are the posts with the pics of your rifle?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Where are the posts with the pics of your rifle?
    I put a few over in the Levergun thread. I’ve just been really busy with a myriad of things lately and haven’t had the time to go out and take some decent pics.

I put a few over in the Levergun thread. I’ve just been really busy with a myriad of things lately and haven’t had the time to go out and take some decent pics.
    OK, found them.

Yes, you need a taller front sight if its hitting too high.

I dont know which sights you were looking at, your gun had a silver blade type front, which is common for the period and looks good. Track of the Wolf does muzzle loading parts and supplies, they have an impressive amount of traditional sights, heres a link,

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/.../1?PageSize=50

Looks like they have some blank types, you could start by filing it down to zero it with the elevator at its lowest point, then shape it to suit. Getting a spare might be good, as it saves shipping and delay of you botch it.

As for the steps on the rear sight elevator, the older Winchesters were, according to The Winchester Book by Madis, zeroed at 50 yards on the lowest step, then each step was a 50 yard increase. They had several different elevators with different size steps for various cartridge classes. Its apparently a lost art so to speak, everyone seems to just regard the steps as a way to get it zeroed with no regard to range or changes for other ranges.

I think your plan of using the barrel sight for most quick shooting and the tang peep for more deliberate shots is valid. Im a believe in the precision of tang sights, but generally dislike that they are where my hand wants to be for general ready carry and shooting of the rifle. Ive not been able to get over that dislike for most of my use of lever guns, mine mostly have receiver peeps.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Francis E. Sell wrote a bit about the .25-20 in Marlin rifles. He made me a fan of the cartridge.

Like all of its contemporaries, reloading it is a PITA due to the thin neck. I use a Buchanan Precision hand press to get a bit more feel and because I tend to only load five or so rounds at a time.

Thanks for the link. ToTW is on my short list to visit next drive up 94. I understand the storefront is small, but still want to visit...because.

The original blade front sight (or at least the one it had when I took possession) was too short. Even with the elevator in its lowest position, I was still hitting 15” high at 50yds. I measured, did the math, showed all my work on a separate sheet of paper etc... Still no good. Lol. The original sat about .310 so my calculations had originally come up with around .550”. I forget the exact number. Anyhow, it was wrong. I ordered up three shorter ones. I’m sure one will work. I just want it about mid-elevator at 50yds. I’m sticking with the brass bead. While that might not be “originally correct” it will work better for what I want the gun for.

I’ll keep ya updated on progress.

Oh yeah...”FORS” right?

Front opposite, rear same. (As far as which direction gives what results.)

User Tag List