Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25-20 Anyone?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It’s a 20’ x 8’ wall of goodness.

There’s metric stuff I’ve never even heard of before.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

2 1/2" shells on the shelf...you're killing me, Smalls.

Hambo's rule for odd calibers:
    -Can you get dies? If yes...
    -Can you get brass or brass to form? If yes,
    -what are you waiting for, BUY THAT THING!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I own quite a few .25-20's but no lever actions. Savage 23's, a Remington 25, and a Kimber which is the only even semi-modern non-lever produced in this cartridge.

This is my favorite caliber, hands-down. Like a .22 on steroids, I don't yet reload for it but did luck out awhile back with 1000 pieces of properly stamped new brass made by Starline for a boutique ammo company.

I hope you buy that ammo and follow it with a rifle at some point. Shooting it will be a pleasure.

Well, I ate a standard dinner and not the dessert first. Rifle on the way. I’ll pick up a box or two of ammo next time in town. Posted in the Levergun thread.

Name:  DDD9F03B-3994-4C6E-BE98-2D5E1BF9A671.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  84.9 KB

Name:  64DA266C-372C-48A4-824D-A48187C132C3.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  54.6 KB

A bit of deer camp table top loading today

I’ll try them out after the first week of the season ends. Load development during deer season is a no bueño move.

Looking good 😎

Are those Gallant bullets?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Looking good 😎

Are those Gallant bullets?
    Missouri Bullets 86gr coated.

Starting out with 5.6gr 2400. See how it goes.

I had a bright idea of using a small Amazon electronic scale...that didn’t go as well as expected.

Just happened that this caliber came up as I was picking up a shotgun from my gunsmith. Look up the "Jordan Buck". Second largest Whitetail on record with a .25-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    Just happened that this caliber came up as I was picking up a shotgun from my gunsmith. Look up the "Jordan Buck". Second largest Whitetail on record with a .25-20.
    Yep. Minn-a-soda back in the day.

Finally got the chance to shoot them today.

I had a spread of them loaded up with #2400 from 5.5gr thru 6.8.gr. I also had a spread with #1680 from 7.5gr to 8.5gr. All had Dacron filler on top of the powder. All were shot from a makeshift rest (stable but not a bench) at 50yds. Open rear and gold dot bead front. Unfortunately, my inattention in high school algebra bit me again as my calculated replacement front Marbles sight was too high. This 9th grade faux pas precluded me from using the rear Marbles peep sight as I could not adjust the drum high enough to get both the bead, the rear factory notch, and the Marbles peep all aligned. Further insult was added by leaving the taller drum at home. Ahhh...the errors of ones youth.

Anyhow, the best results were with the 5.5gr of #2400. This produced an average velocity of 1375fps and about 2” groups. (Second repeat of the same 5 shot group was slightly less.). It DID NOT like the #1680. We’re talking 5” groups that looked like #4 buckshot patterns. In general, both the 2400 and the 1680 ran from about the stated 1375fps up thru about 1500fps with the bigger charge. I also shot a 5 round group of the Winchester factory ammo with about the same 2” results. Velocity of those ran about 1275fps, which is what they had previously clocked at. All were over a LabRadar.

The recoil on all of them was negligible obviously. About that of a .22LR. Report was quieter even. My shooting was done inside a pole barn thru an open window with a rest. (Hey, it’s cold up here, I’m not dumb.) Simple foam earplugs were more than sufficient, and I could easily hear the impact of the slugs.

It’s sure not benchrest quality, but for a 1905 gun and 60yr old eyes...I’ll take it. Hopefully when I finally get done working thru the selection of Marbles front sights, I’ll be able to use the rear tang peep which should tighten things up some. I’d like to do some penetration tests on the 86gr cast as well as experiment with a 55gr HP from GT Bullets. This would make a nice neighbor-friendly varmint gun, and general fun shooter.

Pics when I get a chance.

User Tag List