Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25-20 Anyone?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

25-20 Anyone?

Interested if anyone @Malamute @Lost River @Jim Watson @358156hp has some wisdom to pass on.

I’ve located an old 92 in decent shape, and have found this little hardware store that has a dozen dust covered boxes of Winchester factory loads. Midway and Titan have dies, Montana has bullets. Powders are on the shelf. I enjoy tinkering with odd calibers. The .44 revolver idea fell thru so I’m bored and idle at the moment.

Any opinions welcome.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I’d look for anything Ken Waters wrote about it.

Sounds interesting.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I can look in my Pet Loads book to see if there are any articles on it. I would be more than happy to snap some pictures of the articles and send them to you. I like odd ball cartridges too, so I am interested in following your adventure if you decide to go down that road.

Much appreciated. I found an 86 page thread on the Marlin Owners forum that well...covers just about EVERYTHING. I’ll keep you posted if I dive on it.

I’ve always had interest in the older turn of the century black/smokeless era crossover cartridges. Also the older Swiss, Brit and German military ones as well. I spent the better part of a year fiddling with the .303 and all of its eccentricity getting it to shoot well from a No.4 Mk2. Same with the 7.5x55. 30-30 using cast and small charges of Unique was a bit frustrating but got there too. This one seems like it would be fun. Small bullets, with light charges of Unique, 2400, or AA7/9. Brass is scarce, but my secret “Honey Hole” of all things odd in firearms has two rows of factory rounds staring at me every time I’m in the checkout line. I’ve never bought shells for a gun I don’t have...but maybe I’ll take an exception this time. As an aside, I was in there about 6mo ago for electrical boxes or some such. I happened to look up and see 4 stacks of 12ga 2 1/2” Gamebore cartridges. I stared at them for like 5 minutes in disbelief. I walked out, got in the truck, got back out of the truck, walked back in and bought a bunch. I’ve never seen Gamebore shells in the States on a shelf. Ever. You haven’t even been able to order them since covid.

It seems like a neat little old cartridge. Neighbor friendly and capable of anything this side of a whitetail.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Why isn't this thread, "Look at my new Winchester?"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Why isn't this thread, "Look at my new Winchester?"

Lol. Have to decide to take the plunge first.

I have to go to the hardware store again today for some low voltage wiring stuff. This will force me to go to the check out counter again, where those silver/gray boxes will taunt me so...

This thread has some links that might be of interest, think one of them is the one you've already found https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Re:_the_.25-20

And https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/16049829/1

Yes, you should do it

I've been shoot my 94 in 30-30 a lot lately with a mild load that I put together. Lots of fun on steel targets and shooting with open sights keeps me challenged.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Im not very well versed in that cartridge, my impression is that it can sometimes be finicky to get best accuracy, but is a very useful cartridge and should be cheap to shoot.

The factory cartridges make it much simpler to get in the door on a new cartridge, finding brass for most stuff is pretty hard now, so thats covered.

Theres a chapter on the round in the book The Winchester Lever Legacy by Clyde (Snooky) Williamson where he worked up higher powered loads for many old rounds and used many of them keeping the hoardes of deer from eating his farm fields up in the south. He often has tallies of the results on various animals he used the loads on and how they worked. Bottom line though is I think its got potential, for field use and would be fun to shoot. Fun to shoot is reason enough to have it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Lol. Have to decide to take the plunge first.

I have to go to the hardware store again today for some low voltage wiring stuff. This will force me to go to the check out counter again, where those silver/gray boxes will taunt me so...
    I guess it's reasonable to have rifle seeds at the check out counter, instead of in lawn & garden. Merchandising is where the real money is made.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List