Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Has the era of RDS Handguns fully arrived?

How low are ACROs on the OEM direct milled 45s? Are they able to avoid mainsail sized irons?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I just found out IRS-CI is beginning their transition to MOS Glocks with Trijicon RMRs (3.25 MOA) on FCD plates.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    How low are ACROs on the OEM direct milled 45s? Are they able to avoid mainsail sized irons?
    I handled the MOS7 (direct ACRO) at a convention last week. It came with GL-429 irons and was a nice lower 1/3-ish co-witness. Pretty equivalent to the direct mill job Maple Leaf did on a 19x with the same irons.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I handled the MOS7 (direct ACRO) at a convention last week. It came with GL-429 irons and was a nice lower 1/3-ish co-witness. Pretty equivalent to the direct mill job Maple Leaf did on a 19x with the same irons.
    That sounds a fair bit lower than my 19.5 MOS with the same sights, which IMO is a good thing. I’m guessing there is hope lower irons will be usable. Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Its official USSS has adopted the ACRO P2.
    I was pretty sure they were heading in that direction. The logistical concerns around battery changes alone made the P2 the most attractive option for an issued optic. Now that the direct mills are coming online I expect that to get more buying at an agency level as it solves the other part of the optics problem.

For mass issue this stuff needs to be simplified dramatically. A single fastener and a battery you can change in the field once a year is the way to do it for an issued system.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I was pretty sure they were heading in that direction. The logistical concerns around battery changes alone made the P2 the most attractive option for an issued optic. Now that the direct mills are coming online I expect that to get more buying at an agency level as it solves the other part of the optics problem.

For mass issue this stuff needs to be simplified dramatically. A single fastener and a battery you can change in the field once a year is the way to do it for an issued system.
    My understanding is the FBI has approved both the type 2 RMR and the P2 but I suspect the P2 will be the optic issued to the general agent population for the reasons you stated.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    One might wonder about the expense of adding optics as a general issue thing on handguns.

It's expensive from our perspective as individuals that are buying optics ourselves.

A large agency has different math.

Firearms wash people out of large agencies on a pretty regular basis. By the time a prospective agent/officer/whatever has reached the point of firearms training in those large academies, the agency has already spent something in the order of six figures on them and it was hard to get them to this point in the first place. For agents in the field who are already working and fail to qualify and get sidelined the expense is even greater. So if you give a big organization the ability to spend a couple of million dollars on optics for handguns that will cut their failure rates in they'll spend that money in a heartbeat.

It's a lot easier to buy the gizmos than it is to completely revamp their firearms training section and get rid of the dead weight that often accumulates there.
    3/15/2016

I am late to the party on this, but I was unaware that Delaware State Police issue sig p320 with rds as well

https://www.sigsauer.com/blog/delawa...-red-dot-optic

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    I am late to the party on this, but I was unaware that Delaware State Police issue sig p320 with rds as well

https://www.sigsauer.com/blog/delawa...-red-dot-optic
    Discussed up thread. They were the second state police org to issue RDS behind Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Not addressed to me, but I chose to go without backup irons on these three - I found I can easily make COM hits out to 7 yards using the RDS as a big ring. As a civilian carrier, I am unlikely to be justified shooting further than that.

However… I hedged my bet. I left room to have a forward of optic dovetail added if desired.
    I decided I really need irons on these, so I ordered two more PMM IRDS (I already had one here) and am calculating what height Dawson fronts will work - the test front sight I ordered arrived today and looks to be right on the 26.5, I’ll move it back and forth to see what the others need.
    Ken

User Tag List