Thread: Mildew prevention in a gun cabinet

Mildew prevention in a gun cabinet

(Edit: maybe this belongs in the Armorer’s forum)

I have long guns in storage at a home in another state, in a Secure It cabinet. There is central heat/air which is kept barely on for some climate control while I’m away. I get back there a couple of times a year.

I use RIG grease for rust prevention, which is effective, but mildew on the stocks is still a problem. The guns are nothing special, some EBRs with plastic stocks, and some milsurp varnished wood. Nothing that needs heirloom care.

1) This morning I installed a Golden Rod. The Secure It cabinet has dozens of cutouts in the back panel, and it’s mounted not quite flush against the wall, so air passes somewhat easily through there. I don’t know if this will diminish the usefulness of the rod. It would be easy to cover with cardboard, if it would help.

2) I have fabric gun socks that I could put on. They aren’t treated with anything. Would they help, or would they hurt by trapping what moisture there is directly against the guns?

3) I could slather the stocks with RIG. There doesn’t appear to be mildew forming on the RIG treated steel, but I don’t know if that’s because the grease is inhibiting growth, or the underlying material is (steel vs plastic vs varnish). Is there another surface treatment that’s worthwhile for stocks?

And while we’re at it, what would you use to clean off the mildew that’s on there now? Simple green is my go to.
    Last edited by boing; 10-03-2022 at 12:50 PM.

User Tag List