Thread: AAR: Justified Defensive Concepts Red Dot Pistol Essentials, Fairfax VA

AAR: Justified Defensive Concepts Red Dot Pistol Essentials, Fairfax VA

What: Justified Defensive Concepts Red Dot Pistol Essentials

When: October 2, 2022

Where: Fairfax, VA (NRA Range)

I attended the one evening (6ish hour) Justified Defensive Concepts class Red Dot Essentials held at the NRA Range in Fairfax, VA.

The course started with approximately 1 hour of classroom instruction. Fundamentals of firearm safety and an overview on justified use of force were covered. Safety was stressed as absolutely critical. All information was well organized and articulated.

I've taken a variety of "defensive firearm" classes over the years, and in my experience the lecture material from JDC on legality of use of force is one of the best. This material is very well organized and articulated by the instructors.

As a red dot focused course, the classroom lecture did a deep dive into red dots, sighting devices and the difference between a red dot on a 2D plane vs. iron sights in 3 dimensions.

Range time was the heart of this course, and exceedingly well done. Student to instructor ratio was approximately 2:1, with around a dozen students on the line and 5 instructors present. Strong safety protocols were followed at all times. At the beginning of the range work the class went through a series of dry drills, including draw, reload and administrative firearm handling. As an open enrollment course, part of this was clearly to evaluate the skill level of the students, and to verify students can safely perform the functions of the drills. Personally, as one of the shooters on the firing line, I appreciate this initial verification and calibration of students.

On the range we performed a series of drills. Each drill was presented and demonstrated, then shot by the students. We shot as a group, and then would have instructors go down the line alternating with sides with individual shooters performing for time. Numerous opportunities for one-on-one coaching happened during the drills.

I've been working with a red dot in my own training and at classes prior to this class, so my presentation and red dot use was pretty solid coming in to the class. I picked up some useful bits of knowledge to improve my use of the dot. One of my major knowledge improvements from the class was a technique for strong hand only or off hand only shooting that was different from those I'd previously seen. I saw some immediate improvement in my single hand performance after incorporating this technique into my shooting during the course of the class.

Gear that I used: PSA Dagger with AIMSurplus slide, Holosun 407 RDS, Skullhead Arms strong side holster, G-Code Scorpion pistol mag pouches, Maxpedition small dump pouch and a Kore gunbelt. Round count was around 200 rounds. I used Belom 124 gr FMJ for all live fire drills in this class.

I have taken previous classes with JDC, and this class was every bit as good as my previous experiences. All instructors were skilled, knowledgable, professional and interested in providing coaching/answering questions.

Link to class description https://www.justifieddefensiveconcep...sentials-atbnz

Solid review. I enjoyed shooting with you.

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuyMatt View Post
    Solid review. I enjoyed shooting with you.
    Enjoyment was mutual. With this being my third JDC class this year, I’m starting to see there’s a group of NoVA regulars.

There is definitely a loyal following. Have all three classes you attended been at NRA HQ?
    The outdoor venues draw a slightly different crowd, still lots of regulars, and they are a more robust 8 hour course.
    Always coaching/teaching heavy. Everyone I’ve brought or sent up has been very impressed.

So far only the NRA HQ evening classes. I plan to do a few of the full day classes next year.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words. It is always a privilege to train with the two of you.

User Tag List