Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on specific 9mm dies please...

I have no micrometer dies, but I have Lyman and Redding dies. The Redding are like Mercedes and Lyman are more like Chevy, but both will get you there.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have no experience with micrometer seating dies for handgun rounds, nor have I heard of them being regularly used for handgun reloading purposes.

I have used Redding dies, and they are very nice. I've also used Lyman dies, and they get the job done. For something like a micrometer seating die, I'd probably buy once and cry once with the Redding.

Site Supporter
    Lee dies work very well. Their crimp die is outstanding.

About micrometer seating dies, I say don't waste your money. Even when used to load rifle ammo, I don't think they contribute much. Taking steps to reduce case neck stretching and bullet run out is essential for precision shooting. At this point you might benefit from micrometer seating dies. The man with a precise measuring tool may notice that overall lengths can vary within the same batch. The reason is that most presses have slack. Pull the handle all the way down and the ram rises to seat the bullet. The linkage has slack when the handle is pulled all the way down, and this slack can show up as variation in overall length. Currently made Lee seating dies correct this.

I've owned everybody's die brand, and as @Hambo said, Redding is top notch. RCBS is 2nd. That's the way they get ranked. I tell folks to buy Lee dies. I must add that nothing is wrong with Lyman.

If the op will pm me, I might have something in my 50 + year hord that will suit him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    nor have I heard of them being regularly used for handgun reloading purposes.
    I think it was Brian Enos who recommended a micrometer seating die, probably to make it easier when changing bullets. I wouldn't bother with either seating or crimp in a progressive (once you're set, you're set). For cartridges in which I load different bullets to different lengths micrometer dies would make life easier, but at $125 each, it would cost me a small fortune given the number of cartridges I reload.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I think it was Brian Enos who recommended a micrometer seating die, probably to make it easier when changing bullets. I wouldn't bother with either seating or crimp in a progressive (once you're set, you're set). For cartridges in which I load different bullets to different lengths micrometer dies would make life easier, but at $125 each, it would cost me a small fortune given the number of cartridges I reload.
    Yeah, once I find a 9mm bullet I like, I buy mucho and have no need of a quick adjust die. Right now it's 147gr flatnoses. I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy two sets of cheaper dies instead of a micrometer die?
    #RESIST

I would honestly wait until you acquired the progressive. For three reasons:

-You might decide you'd rather save for bullet or case feeding
    -You might decide you want a set of dies more oriented towards smooth operation
    -You might run into clearance issues

Site Supporter
    If I bought a Dillon press, I would use Dillon dies which are excellent. Also this choice simplifies the process, especially using their powder measure. Further, advice from the factory will be easier followed when the set-up is all Dillon.

I have Hornady micrometer seating dies in my Dillons for easier bullet/oal changes but do not see a need for a micrometer crimp die. Either you are loading mixed brass where a compromise crimp will have to do, or you are loading matched brass where you can set just what you want and forget it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Hmmm. I'm one of those Luddites who never seat and taper crimp bullets in the same step. I can see using a micrometer type seating die, but taper crimping during bullet seating has never worked out for me. I do see an advantage to a mic type seating die however, especially if you're not wed to one exact bullet. I would still be crimping the cartridge is a separate step though.

In revolvers, with a roll crimp I'd give out an enthusiastic ol' redneck "hell yeah" though.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I did some homework and apparently this die is not what I originally thought it was. I thought it was combo seater/crimp. It is not. Apparently it was designed for really ultra high volume progressive reloading, such as things with an auto drive or whatever. It is ONLY a taper crimp die. In that role it was for more easily accounting for various wall thickness and other stuff like that so you could more easily fine tune what kind of crimp you used per a given type of brass or whatever.

So yeah, this is definitely not what I was thinking it was.

In any case I went a totally different direction.

User Tag List