Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on specific 9mm dies please...

Opinions on specific 9mm dies please...

I am comparing the Lyman Pro Series Micrometer Taper Crimp Die (UPC: 011516745545) to the Redding Micrometer Taper Crimp die (part# 31271).

Does anyone have any experience with either of those two dies?

In general what is your overall opinions of either (or both) of these options?

Curious

I’ve not used either…but am curious why you’re considering micrometer crimping dies for a handgun round?

The Lee Factory Crimp die has always done the job for me in that role….simple, inexpensive and effective.

Rifle rounds for long range or precision shooting is another issue.

Hoping to help, but curious……

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am comparing the Lyman Pro Series Micrometer Taper Crimp Die (UPC: 011516745545) to the Redding Micrometer Taper Crimp die (part# 31271).

Does anyone have any experience with either of those two dies?

In general what is your overall opinions of either (or both) of these options?
    I don’t think you need a micrometer for pistol rounds, that’s a precision rifle thing.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    I’ve not used either…but am curious why you’re considering micrometer crimping dies for a handgun round?

The Lee Factory Crimp die has always done the job for me in that role….simple, inexpensive and effective.

Rifle rounds for long range or precision shooting is another issue.

Hoping to help, but curious……

George
    I don't have any specific reason other than the dies I have now are 'meh' at best. I am weighing my options is all.

In the future I also might upgrade to a progressive press for my pistol rounds, but so far that hasn't happened yet for a few reasons.

I know Lee dies work. I used them for YEARS so I am familiar with all of that.

I don't have any specific reason other than the dies I have now are 'meh' at best. I am weighing my options is all.

In the future I also might upgrade to a progressive press for my pistol rounds, but so far that hasn't happened yet for a few reasons.

I know Lee dies work. I used them for YEARS so I am familiar with all of that.
    Your 9mm reloading money would be better spent saving up for a progressive or at least a turret press. You'd get more ammo out of less time and therefore more time to shoot, be with the family, etc. Even a turret press is miles ahead of a single stage for reloading pistol. Something like this Lee kit would work well.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Your 9mm reloading money would be better spent saving up for a progressive or at least a turret press. You'd get more ammo out of less time and therefore more time to shoot, be with the family, etc. Even a turret press is miles ahead of a single stage for reloading pistol. Something like this Lee kit would work well.
    Thanks for the tips, but none of that has anything to do with the specific dies I am asking about. I am not asking about presses. I am not asking about any of that other stuff. I am asking about those specific dies I mentioned.

BTW I already have a turret press and I am currently shopping for progressive presses.

Now bringing it back around to my original question(s)... does anyone have (as in own) either of the two dies I mentioned in the original post?

I'd never spend the money for micrometer dies for a pistol round, but Redding stuff has always been top tier. I suppose they would be handy if you are switching bullets often and on an ongoing basis. I can't think of a single reason to have them other than that in an auto pistol round. I've no experience with the Lyman dies.

Thanks for the tips, but none of that has anything to do with the specific dies I am asking about. I am not asking about presses. I am not asking about any of that other stuff. I am asking about those specific dies I mentioned.

BTW I already have a turret press and I am currently shopping for progressive presses.

Now bringing it back around to my original question(s)... does anyone have (as in own) either of the two dies I mentioned in the original post?
    Good luck, I was just trying to gently let you know that you won't see any gains with micrometer equipped pistol dies.
    #RESIST

I understand the wantsies. I get them, too. You won't be unhappy with Redding micrometers. I've never played with a Lyman version, but I'm a fan of the Reddings.

Full disclosure, mine are rifle. I've never looked at or thought about one for 9mm.

I have a 9mm Redding micrometer die. Used it on a 550 and a 750. Ended up going back to the stock Dillon die. The Redding seating die also resizes the case and it has just a little extra resistance at times. I don’t think it’s necessary for pistol. If I could go back I would just stick to Dillon dies. If you decide you want one mine is just collecting dust and I can work out a deal with you.

Edit just realized you asked for taper crimp so ignore all I said.

User Tag List