Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way for a 4 year old to poop in the woods?

Best way for a 4 year old to poop in the woods?

Bringing my son camping for the first time and I'm wondering if I show him how to lean against a tree while squatting but I wonder if I should just bring a cutoff bucket or milk crate to use with his potty seat thingy.

I have a five year old and a two year old (girl and boy) and both undress and simply squat, so a trowel and some wipes would be all that I needed.

If that’s not an option we did use a small green potty from IKEA with our eldest for a bit, when we traveled via car. Relatively small, relatively light.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Primitive method:

Cat hole dug with a spade with squat method.

Pros: no special equipment needed. The only method for backpacking.
    Cons: hard to dig deep enough to be sanitary and environmentally friendly. Kids tend to have a hard time with this unless they grew up third world. They can pee on themselves during #2.

Vehicle borne camping luxury method:

5 gallon bucket toilet lid (found on amazon) with trash bags and cat litter for smell. This is standard equipment for my desert SXS adventures with the kids.

Alternative: red neck shitter chair (camp chair with hole cut in the seat lined with duct tape). We used this method in Iraq when confronted with those hole in the floor kurdish bathrooms. Some embraced the squat, others didn't and used this, because 'merica.
    Last edited by EMC; 10-02-2022 at 11:08 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Easy contender for thread of the year

Height of luxury for primitive camping is one of those folding "toilets" which is basically just a seat over a pair of camp stool legs. I never use the bags that come with them. I just dig a hole then set the throne over it and take care of business.

Squat is an important life lesson. But once you've learned it...the fancy toilet stool is something you can really appreciate.

My son was 4 when we bought our first big sailboat. The head was still being finished on a weekend cruise, so I simply gave him an ordinary mop bucket. Worked like a charm!

At that age, I'd have them take their britches off completely then squat over the cathole. You'll do less field laundry that way.

Site Supporter
    I've had mine sit over a fallen tree. Dig cat hole on the other side, sit across with back side hanging off and over the hole, take care of business, cover hole. Has been pretty effective for the most part with the only issue being the occasional forget and pee on the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Kids tend to have a hard time with this unless they grew up third world.
    Nah, just Texas.

Really though, my wife and I did the naked and outside potty training with our children and it worked wonders, plus it connects them to nature a bit more when it comes to composting, life cycles, etc.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I learned to poop 💩 off a downed tree.
    I still like to… Ass in the breeze so to speak.

User Tag List