Thread: Opening up the rear sight of a fixed sighted Smith?

Opening up the rear sight of a fixed sighted Smith?

Has anyone done it?

I've been tempted a couple times to go at them with a chainsaw file. Mostly I'd like it a little deeper and maybe just a little wider.

In before "phrasing"

https://www.amazon.com/Hardened-Stre...Q%3D%3D&sr=8-5

I've done that many times on all kinds of rear sights. I like a lot of light. A chain saw file might be a little too big. If I have some sort of dot on my front sight I will make it a U-notch.

Peep sights, too. Just takes a little work to give old eyes a little more light, or even make a ghost ring.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia

I opened up a rear on a Model 10 by a few thousandths and it helped. Don't get overzealous. A few strokes, clean up, and check. Adjust, I used Oxypho from Brownells and it worked well.

Done a few. It helps me to safe one side of the file (grind off the teeth) so I'm only cutting one area at a time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Done a few. It helps me to safe one side of the file (grind off the teeth) so I'm only cutting one area at a time.
    Same. I like some medium course on one side. . File. Chalk and clear. Cut and repeat to desired results

Opening up the rear sight of a fixed sighted Smith?

+1 on the safety file.

IDK about deepening. Opening the sides has no influence on POI if you remove roughly the same amount from each side of the notch. Deepening is liable to lower POI.

Files are like relationships when you’re young: give them lots of attention (chalk & brush), but ditch cheap ones that are no longer cutting it.

Deepening the notch won't change point of impact. To drop elevation you'll need to lower the top of your sight. The frame itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Deepening the notch won't change point of impact. To drop elevation you'll need to lower the top of your sight. The frame itself.
    Hmm, yeah, I didn’t think that through completely.

User Tag List