Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock striker tension?

Glock striker tension?

Say I rack the slide of my G19, holster it, and somehow the internal safeties fail with the striker releasing into a loaded chamber. Will the striker have enough energy to pop off a round? I have read contradictory statements online. Some say that yes, the striker is tensioned enough after racking the slide so it would ignite the primer of a live round. Others say, no, the striker is only ~60% pre-cocked, so the trigger mush be pulled to give the striker the tension required to ignite a round.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Some say that yes, the striker is tensioned enough after racking the slide so it would ignite the primer of a live round. Others say, no, the striker is only ~60% pre-cocked, so the trigger mush be pulled to give the striker the tension required to ignite a round.
    As far as I understand, the answer depends on the ammunition. The NATO military primer is quite hard and, most likely, such an accident would end in a misfire. However, modern commercial pistol ammunition uses fairly sensitive primers, and this kind of last resort safety is not going to stand. Fortunately, Glock type safety is very, well, safe (as opposed to some of the other striker-fired designs that I'm not going to mention explicitly). So you don't need to concern yourself with a scenario of Glcok safety failing. Just make sure to clean the slide well and inspect the plunger spring.

Tom Jones once told me that there is enough energy to set off a primer. All of his posts have been removed so I can’t search for it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

What Zaitsev said; use normal prudent gun handling techniques when charging the gun. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    As far as I understand, the answer depends on the ammunition. The NATO military primer is quite hard and, most likely, such an accident would end in a misfire. However, modern commercial pistol ammunition uses fairly sensitive primers, and this kind of last resort safety is not going to stand. Fortunately, Glock type safety is very, well, safe (as opposed to some of the other striker-fired designs that I'm not going to mention explicitly). So you don't need to concern yourself with a scenario of Glcok safety failing. Just make sure to clean the slide well and inspect the plunger spring.
    Cough cough...SIG...

Site Supporter
    The idea that my carry/duty gun always has a firing pin coiled like a snake over the primer (if you will) with no manual safety almost makes me wish LE had stayed with hammer fired guns and I could just carry something practical like a P07 or something cool like a USP9c or something very cool like a 3953.

It will fire if the safeties have been bypassed.

I did an experiment a few years ago with a Glock 17. The results are posted somewhere on PF.

I removed the firing pin safety and installed a trigger housing that had been improperly modified and did not prevent the trigger bar from dropping down before it was far enough to the rear. The trigger safety was the only one working. I installed the armorers back plate that is partially cut away. I stuck a screw driver in and moved the trigger bar down so it let the striker fall and it fired a WW primed case several times.

Still safer than some others brands.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    It will fire if the safeties have been bypassed.

I did an experiment a few years ago with a Glock 17. The results are posted somewhere on PF.

I removed the firing pin safety and installed a trigger housing that had been improperly modified and did not prevent the trigger bar from dropping down before it was far enough to the rear. The trigger safety was the only one working. I installed the armorers back plate that is partially cut away. I stuck a screw driver in and moved the trigger bar down so it let the striker fall and it fired a WW primed case several times.

Still safer than some others brands.

The lesson there, IMO, is dont install aftermarket parts or significantly modify factory Glock trigger parts. If you want a Glock with a "better trigger", best to go with a different platform entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Say I rack the slide of my G19, holster it, and somehow the internal safeties fail with the striker releasing into a loaded chamber. Will the striker have enough energy to pop off a round? I have read contradictory statements online. Some say that yes, the striker is tensioned enough after racking the slide so it would ignite the primer of a live round. Others say, no, the striker is only ~60% pre-cocked, so the trigger mush be pulled to give the striker the tension required to ignite a round.
    Say I use the search function……..

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Say I use the search function……..
    Troll.

User Tag List