Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP to suppress?

.45 ACP to suppress?

I’m starting to think about a .45 ACP carbine or braced pistol that I can suppress for hog control.

I have a .300 BO pistol, but my logic if it has to be subsonic where expansion/penetration becomes iffy, I’d prefer a big, fat bullet. It would also far easier to reload.

My main requirement is it would have to feed fairly blunt bullets, like a an RNFP cowboy bullet. I think this precludes the AR platform.

Thoughts? Am I swinging for a 500’ fence?

10mm is also an option, but as I said, subsonic, I want the fatest bullet that will feed reliably.

I don't know what hardball would do to a pig and I don't know an automatic certain to feed flat points. I don't know of a .45 ACP carbine other than CMMG anyhow, the obscure Flint River outfit has folded.

Can you bear the thought of an old fashioned lever action?
    A heavy bullet .44 Magnum or .45 LC would make pork.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Does a Tommy gun feed modern bullets?

What would be better than hunting piggies with a suppressed Tommy gun?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

A friend had a live M1A1 that would feed semiwadcutters.
    His target load fired with a ludicrously low cyclic rate and generated just enough recoil to hold the barrel level without climb.

I don't have the gen on the current crop of semi autos except to say they are a lot heavier than I want to hump after pigs that I could shoot with a .30-30.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you already have the BO, this is probably the easy button for suppressed expansion.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...90-gr-sub-x#!/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Technically, a number of outfits make .45 ACP guns aside from CMMG, even if we don't consider roll-your-own AR45.

- Beretta still make Cx4 in .45, look at "Series 8000", although I think it's not threaded for a suppressor
    - JRC still offer one too, although they do not sell a braced pistol and offer carbines only.
    - AutoOrdnance/Kahr make Thompson, including SBR and pistols
    - TNW Aero Survival Rifle is still around in .45
    - KRISS still make Vector in .45, I think
    - B&T have APC45, although hard to get
    - LWRC SMG-45 is on the market, and it's certainly suppressable, you just don't want to know the pice

There were some casualties recently, for sure:

Extar discontinued EP45 when they rolled Gen2 EP9.
    Flint River is out of business
    Lone Wolf's AlphaWolf never hit the market after the announcement in 2017
    MPA only make Defencer in 9mm and 5.7mm currently
    Vector Uzi in .45 is no longer produced apparently
    Thureon only do 9mm and 10mm anymore

But that's far from everything.

Even so, I'd just get CMMG and be done with it. I see no reason to screw around with anything else when I only want a gun to shoot hogs.

I have an Omega Gideon shadow (UMP clone) the lower is HK and the upper is built in the USA. Silly quiet with the can and an absolute hoot to shoot. Some people have had issues with reliability but I’ve put every kind of cheap ball and also gold dots and HST hollow points through mine with no hiccups, haven’t tried any wadcutters or other flat nose. Name:  9F4DE89B-9D1B-4B05-B5D9-FD2C8ED1948E.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  72.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    I have an Omega Gideon shadow (UMP clone) the lower is HK and the upper is built in the USA. Silly quiet with the can and an absolute hoot to shoot. Some people have had issues with reliability but I’ve put every kind of cheap ball and also gold dots and HST hollow points through mine with no hiccups, haven’t tried any wadcutters or other flat nose. Name:  9F4DE89B-9D1B-4B05-B5D9-FD2C8ED1948E.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  72.4 KB
    UMP45s are cool but as noted, the Gideons have been hit or miss.

The HK USC is still available. They work well with the factory single stack mags.

Otherwise, the B&T .45 GHM or pro, or the CMMG Banshee .45 would be my picks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Does a Tommy gun feed modern bullets?

What would be better than hunting piggies with a suppressed Tommy gun?
    I’ll be the one to say it. Cult status aside, Thompson’s kind of suck as actual shooters.

Grease gun all the way..

Name:  ADA46952-A057-44A5-8180-8E942265EC1E.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  34.4 KB

User Tag List