Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Role of the EDC Flashlight

The Role of the EDC Flashlight

Some thoughts on that topic here.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    I typically carry a primary light selected 100% for defensive use. While this use is unlikely for me, it is the one time when compromise is unacceptable.

I often have a keychain light as well, using the keychain light primarily for mundane tasks. Unfortunately the perfect keychain light is no longer made: a FourSevens CR2 mini. I now use a Surefire Sidekick (much too large but otherwise ideal), a Fenix E01 (very good balance of capabilities but a step down in output from the CR2 mini), or a Maratac Peanut Beast (very impressive combination of size and output at the expense of runtime).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

can't get that page to load.
    For me I have two uses for an EDC flashlight, one is defensive the other is mundane tasks. If I can only carry one (due to size and convenience) I want it to be as bright as possible and strobing on the first press of the button. I don't want a side mounted button, or a separate switch to trigger strobe. I want a tailcap clicky and then, if I need it for looking at a map, I can do multiple manipulations of the button to get dimmer light and no strobe. Ideally though I'd simply carry a second light for mundane stuff, in the bottom of my pocket, and the defensive light would be clip carried at the top of the pocket as I carry my EDCL2-T now.
    And I cannot find that setup anywhere.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Sorry, new link - https://www.edclightbuilder.com/blog...ight-selection

More articles here - https://www.edclightbuilder.com/blog/
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Thanks, now laughing that what I've been asking for, is mentioned, but unavailable

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Solid article:
    I’ve found from LL courses that the 500 lumen range works best for me. I want the spread and hotspot to allow me to see face-torso-waistband/hands at distances out to about 15-20 yds. without needing to move the light.
    Outside of that range I can’t reliably identify a weapon or discern cellphone from gun anyway.

Another good use is in no weapons zones, as a striking, blinding instrument. If I can’t carry my gun or blade in, most places will still let you carry a small light, it’s better than empty hands.

I just posted a Low Light course AAR in the training section. I’m new here, but not to this world.

Good article, thanks for sharing it.

Site Supporter
    For me I have two uses for an EDC flashlight, one is defensive the other is mundane tasks. If I can only carry one (due to size and convenience) I want it to be as bright as possible and strobing on the first press of the button. I don't want a side mounted button, or a separate switch to trigger strobe. I want a tailcap clicky and then, if I need it for looking at a map, I can do multiple manipulations of the button to get dimmer light and no strobe. Ideally though I'd simply carry a second light for mundane stuff, in the bottom of my pocket, and the defensive light would be clip carried at the top of the pocket as I carry my EDCL2-T now.
    And I cannot find that setup anywhere.
    Have you seen these?

https://www.batteryjunction.com/klar...lashlight.html

https://www.batteryjunction.com/klarus-xt1c-v2.html

They have a button on the tail switch which always turns on high. Hitting the auxiliary tail button toggles the mode through medium and low. Hitting the auxiliary tail switch when the light is off activates strobe.

Unfortunately both of my examples of these lights have noticable parasitic drain of the cell, since the auxiliary switch is electronic. None of my XT2C lights (predecessor of the XT2CR), have this issue. However, as long as you check the cell voltage regularly, they work well.

Yeah I played with one of those that a buddy has, and having to hit the aux button for strobe is not easy or convenient compared to the main button.
    I'm not a flashlight engineer, but don't understand why someone can't make a tail cap for my Surefire (as people make custom caps) that has a strobe only function built into it. Or why, other than the light TLG had (4 Seven I think), that was user programmable, no one makes this as an option. Having to fiddle around with other buttons on a "self defense" light is just counterintuitive to me.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Yeah I played with one of those that a buddy has, and having to hit the aux button for strobe is not easy or convenient compared to the main button.
    I'm not a flashlight engineer, but don't understand why someone can't make a tail cap for my Surefire (as people make custom caps) that has a strobe only function built into it. Or why, other than the light TLG had (4 Seven I think), that was user programmable, no one makes this as an option. Having to fiddle around with other buttons on a "self defense" light is just counterintuitive to me.
    Rob, I agree the statements in bold. My theme with the EDCLB project is that a simple UI is mandatory for a light that will most likely be used in stressful situations. Multiple control buttons only complicate such use.

Where we're not aligned is on the utility of strobe in a civilian defensive scenario. I linked to this article in my Myth of the EDC Flashlight as a Self Defense Weapon essay, a re-post of the link here is I think useful;

https://www.policemag.com/340344/how...ing-flashlight

I think Santos is a credible source of info. Here is a quote from the article;

"That strobe exposure decreases the suspect's direct and peripheral vision is another claim we must look at realistically. Without question, direct and peripheral vision are decreased.

"However, is there a significant increase in this vision deterioration as a result of the strobe exposure over just a constant bright light? If the suspect and the officer remain stationary, I say there is not a significant increase as a result of applying the strobe. Exposure to a quality bright constant light will significantly decrease the suspect's direct and peripheral vision. In student testing, I have not seen any measurable difference between applying the strobe and a bright constant light."
    I would recommend to anyone with interest in this subject matter to read the Santos article, bearing in mind that it's written entirely from a LEO perspective. One other point mentioned is that if a team of LEOs is apprehending a suspect, the suspect should also be illuminated with constant light.

Another good read here by Ed Head of Gunsite - https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...cs-techniques/

"When it comes to switches, I’m a simple man and understand concepts like “on” and “off.” I like a switch to go on when I push it and off when I release it. Particularly when man or beast is trying to do me harm, it’s been my experience that keeping it simple is a very good thing. Although I appreciate the technology that allows manufacturers to create lights that strobe, flash in patterns like SOS or brighten and dim automatically, I find all that to be a little much to deal with under the stress of protecting my valuable skin.

"The primary use of a tactical flashlight in identifying possible threats and, if necessary, using the light to blind or disorient them. This allows you to move away, advance to cover or make use of your firearm."
    IMO, this is the reason I carry a powerful EDC light. If needed I will apply a burst of high-intensity light to the assailant's eyes to temporarily blind them, then use that window to evade and escape. Or if needed use a bonafide weapon to defend myself.

For my civilian use, I remain convinced that strobe will not ensure a better outcome, and will more likely degrade my ability to see what the threat is doing every millisecond of the encounter. But more importantly, I do not want to set any false expectations that an EDC flashlight can be counted on to do anything more than to detect the threat, assess their intentions and if needed provide a photonic barrier. Counting on strobe to be any more effective at deterring the threat than high intensity constant light is, IMO, a dangerous false-expectation trap to fall into.

In conclusion, for civilian use it's my opinion that the ability to strobe is not something I'd sacrifice a simple, foolproof all the lumens all the time user interface for.

Thanks for your participation in the discussion, I appreciate your POV even if we're not in 100% agreement!

The one place strobe really shines is if another student is shooting really close to your performance and you want top shooter really bad. Negligent strobe discharge right before their turn guarantees a safe margin.

On a light meant for SD I disable strobe.

User Tag List