Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: “You were flagging everyone on the line with your OWB pistol”

Site Supporter
    I've never heard of this complaint. Some shoulder holsters position handguns horizontally. I move to one side of the person for "comfort" reasons if I see the weapon. My suggestion to anyone fearing a holstered handgun is to leave the area. I see some dummies walking around with easily snatched handguns. I avoid them too.

Consider this scenario -- your job is to call hits on steel, using a spitting scope, at a precision event. The shooting position is prone, and you are behind the shooter. When a shooter goes prone, the muzzle of his pistol is pointed directly at your chest. Do you:

1) flee the area, because it is unsafe

2) tell the shooter he is muzzling you

3) continue spotting, with the muzzle pointed at your chest, because "a holstered handgun is a safe handgun"

4) move slightly so the muzzle isn't pointing at you

I would pick choice 4, and assume most others would do the same. Maybe I am excessively risk adverse, but I do my best to stay out of the arc of fixed wing propellers, avoid helicopter tail rotors, duck my head under turning main rotors, avoid kneeling down behind cars and trucks with their engine idling, and a number of other things that have the potential to hurt or kill me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    To imagine all the people I flagged today while flying above them at 35000 feet!

Won’t somebody think of the children!?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Consider this scenario -- your job is to call hits on steel, using a spitting scope, at a precision event. The shooting position is prone, and you are behind the shooter. When a shooter goes prone, the muzzle of his pistol is pointed directly at your chest. Do you:

3) continue spotting, with the muzzle pointed at your chest, because "a holstered handgun is a safe handgun"

I would pick choice 4, and assume most others would do the same. Maybe I am excessively risk adverse, but I do my best to stay out of the arc of fixed wing propellers, avoid helicopter tail rotors, duck my head under turning main rotors, avoid kneeling down behind cars and trucks with their engine idling, and a number of other things that have the potential to hurt or kill me.
    5) stick my pinky in the bore on the off chance I could emulate Bugs and Elmer.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

5) Yell "ENGAGE! ENGAGE! YOU'RE ON THE CLOCK!" @Cdub_NW
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    5) Yell "ENGAGE! ENGAGE! YOU'RE ON THE CLOCK!" @Cdub_NW
    @Clusterfrack : nightmares for years...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    To imagine all the people I flagged today while flying above them at 35000 feet!

It’s ok they were too busy dodging the blocks of “Blue ice” you were dropping on them …

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

At least you chemtrailed them good.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Oh, fuck no. Rifles are generally not drop or impact safe.

If a holstered loaded handgun can't be safely pointed in any direction, it cannot be safely carried.

I don't agree that it is dangerous--it just looks similar to situations that are dangerous. But as you say, we all have our own comfort levels. I have a good friend, USPSA Master, who will only CCW with an empty chamber.
    See, the issue isn’t that it’s necessarily dangerous… it’s that I don’t trust random Joe douchebag not to have chapstick in his pocket or a super loose retention and then try and “catch it” as it slips out of the holster. Or any random dumbass “I shot myself” kinds of things.

Holstered and pointed at me is only a few milliseconds of douchebag away from BANG and I don’t want to have to be watching like a Hawk for douchebag prevention detail.

If YOU pointed a gun at me, I wouldn’t care because I trust you.

I had a friend at the range fumble his draw and his gun went tumbling end over end at us.

I didn’t care. Because it was a Glock. He was mortified, but I didn’t care. Because I knew he wouldn’t be a dumbass and try and catch it (he didn’t).

So it’s mainly that I don’t want to be vigilant about douchebag behavior that can turn a safely holstered gun into something not so safe.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Okay, that’s just weird.
    Speaking as someone who has been armed while in a flight suit plenty… but never stateside and off-duty.
    You'd have to know the back story - but yeah.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List