Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: “You were flagging everyone on the line with your OWB pistol”

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    To set the record straight, I wasn’t really open carrying. Yeah, it was OWB, but I had a big ass long sweatshirt on and if it rode up, I would re-cover out of habit.
    Everything was covered but your muzzle.

Prone is tough because AIWB sucks shooting prone. If it was a closed bottom holster, we probably wouldn't be discussing this. The reality is riflemen also carry handguns. When you are prone, your muzzle will point where it does, and the guy could have taken half a step and been fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ... If it was a closed bottom holster, we probably wouldn't be discussing this.
    Yep.

Maybe if you're carrying a .45 you can ask him if he has a tampon to stick in it?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I had this happen to me in a rifle class about 13 years ago. Guy behind the line started crying that my holstered pistol was covering him when I went prone. Of course there was no reason he had to stand behind me. He went to the instructor about it and the instructor pulled me aside. I switched to appendix and I was suddenly safe. I could never do that from a comfort standpoint these days.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Everything was covered but your muzzle.

Prone is tough because AIWB sucks shooting prone. If it was a closed bottom holster, we probably wouldn't be discussing this. The reality is riflemen also carry handguns. When you are prone, your muzzle will point where it does, and the guy could have taken half a step and been fine.
    What does covering the muzzle with plastic the thickness of the Raven Perun do? Are you saying he might not have bitched? I doubt it, given that I sincerely doubt he ever saw the muzzle end of the holster in order ascertain if it was closed off or not.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Interesting responses. What you don’t see can’t hurt you?

If a holstered gun is on a table, any number of people are “swept” as they walk by. When you’re on the second floor of a building, the people below you are “swept” by your holstered gun. If you consider these violations of safe gun handling, I’m at a loss for how to address this.

When the trigger guard is covered securely by a holster, I consider the gun safe to be pointed in any direction.

Edit: if a particular firearm is at risk of firing from a holster, that is an entirely different problem.
    I dunno. It’s a slippery slope for me.

I don’t like other people’s loaded guns pointed at me, holster or no.

I wouldn’t like a loaded rifle in a bag pointed at me, even if the safety was on.

Some handgun holsters aren’t any better.

If it’s unloaded or has a manual safety I feel a little better, but I’m not a fan.

We all have our different comfort levels.

My thought is if I don’t have to be in a dangerous situation I prefer not to.

My carry guns are loaded and near the exit of the house.

I have a square of Kevlar in the back of the safe as a bullet catch because the guns would technically be pointed at people in the living room, even though they’re in holsters.

As for the 2nd floor example, I’m assuming the floor is made of something structurally sound, so in my head that’s like the Kevlar in my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    They are also drawn to positions of power outside of the club such as HOA president or leadership in a rural, volunteer rescue squad.
    From the meme thread:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

This thread made me dumber. I've spent over thirty years carrying good quality duty grade pistols without modified triggers in decent quality Ted Blocker, Safariland and other reputable holsters and never worried about "muzzling" someone while carrying. I used to be called the "Safety Nazi" at work for my requirement to learn and live the Four Rules. A healthy respect for firearms is good; irrational fear is not.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    IIRC Dave Lauck had the same issue...

pat
    At his precision rifle matches?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I dunno. It’s a slippery slope for me.
    I don’t like other people’s loaded guns pointed at me, holster or no.
    My dad didn't like it when the hollow handle of a serving spoon or ladle was pointed at him. He would move it every time, usually to point at someone he was annoyed at.

I wouldn’t like a loaded rifle in a bag pointed at me, even if the safety was on.
    Oh, fuck no. Rifles are generally not drop or impact safe.

Some handgun holsters aren’t any better.
    If a holstered loaded handgun can't be safely pointed in any direction, it cannot be safely carried.

If it’s unloaded or has a manual safety I feel a little better, but I’m not a fan.

We all have our different comfort levels.
    I get it. Seeing a muzzle from the front gets my attention too.

My thought is if I don’t have to be in a dangerous situation I prefer not to.
    I don't agree that it is dangerous--it just looks similar to situations that are dangerous. But as you say, we all have our own comfort levels. I have a good friend, USPSA Master, who will only CCW with an empty chamber.

My carry guns are loaded and near the exit of the house.

I have a square of Kevlar in the back of the safe as a bullet catch because the guns would technically be pointed at people in the living room, even though they’re in holsters.

As for the 2nd floor example, I’m assuming the floor is made of something structurally sound, so in my head that’s like the Kevlar in my safe.
    Great idea. Especially with a kid in the house. I wouldn't count on floors stopping bullets. If I have to load or make a gun safe in a hotel room, I typically point it at the outer wall where it meets the floor.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Just heard this from a guy at the SnipersHide Precision rifle class I just attended (highly, highly recommended). The pistol was a Glock 48 in a Raven Perun.
    Huh. Never been to a rifle class without a handgun. I'd give it the attention it deserves. Polite response if he deserved it, more direct if not. I wonder if he posted a thread at SnipersHide?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List