Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: “You were flagging everyone on the line with your OWB pistol”

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    This is how I feel too.

If someone is so paranoid that they can’t be comfortable around a holstered pistol (assuming its a decent holster), perhaps they should take up other hobbies such as knitting.
    Yep, I'm a cunt.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

If he desires to serve as an RSO, I would encourage him to observe a skeet, trap or sporting clay match where people commonly rest the muzzle of their shotgun on their foot. Beretta actually makes a product that encourages this:

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/sales/...rest-toe-pad-/
    Those are not allowed on all skeet/trap ranges, as well as being primarily used with over and under skeet guns with open actions.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Is possibly a valid complaint if it's a holstered P320?
    [emoji14]
    Best post in this thread.

So here is my rule:

If you have a gun in your hand and you muzzle me with it. I'll politely tell you once to correct it and that if it happens again we'll have a problem.

If you fiddle with your gun in the holster, I will also tell you politely to stop or we'll have a problem.

If it's in a holster and you aren't touching it, I really don't give a shit.

The exception I have to this. If you've carrying a non-safety equipped pistol in a Derpa-type rig. Get that shit away from me. Those holsters are demonstrably unsafe to carry a loaded handgun in. Anyone who doesn't see that or know it by now is absolutely hopeless and cannot be trusted to have a loaded handgun around anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    See, the issue isn’t that it’s necessarily dangerous… it’s that I don’t trust random Joe douchebag not to have chapstick in his pocket or a super loose retention and then try and “catch it” as it slips out of the holster. Or any random dumbass “I shot myself” kinds of things.

Holstered and pointed at me is only a few milliseconds of douchebag away from BANG and I don’t want to have to be watching like a Hawk for douchebag prevention detail.

If YOU pointed a gun at me, I wouldn’t care because I trust you.

I had a friend at the range fumble his draw and his gun went tumbling end over end at us.

I didn’t care. Because it was a Glock. He was mortified, but I didn’t care. Because I knew he wouldn’t be a dumbass and try and catch it (he didn’t).

So it’s mainly that I don’t want to be vigilant about douchebag behavior that can turn a safely holstered gun into something not so safe.
    This has been a fun thread to read. JCN said it best here - TRUST. It takes a lot to earn trust. I’ll add AWARENESS to it.

Bending over in the driver seat because I dropped my keys w/ a van full of kids behind me. Quality holster at the 3 o’clock. I’m probably gonna bend over and pick my keys up.

At the public range w/ Joe public shooting a rifle in the prone w/ a holstered pistol - probably not gonna let my kids stand behind him.

On the range w/ trusted and aware teammates shooting a rifle in the prone - I’d let my kids stand on the opposite side of the holstered pistol (or offset same side) as close as we need to for the learning objective.

My 2 cents.

Part of me would be tempted to respond to such a complaint by saying something like “Oh, I only carry in Condition 3.” Which is completely untrue, but this seems more about feelings than safety so…..

I think the comments on intellectual honesty and “it depends” are spot on. Person who’s actions presents themselves as squared away and knowledgeable with a quality pistol, in a good holster who isn’t fingering said pistol? I’m going to be fine.

Questionable gun in crappy holster carried by someone who is clueless? More of a concern.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    As an aside, I find these rules are frequently championed by people who feel the need to wear at least 2 piece of NRA insignia to the range - usually some combination of hat, shirt, or belt buckle. They are also drawn to positions of power outside of the club such as HOA president or leadership in a rural, volunteer rescue squad.
    I always find this interesting because our HQ range has a pretty logical set of range rules. For example, we tell everyone if they uncase with the muzzle pointed up range, no big deal, just rotate the case before actually handling the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I always find this interesting because our HQ range has a pretty logical set of range rules. For example, we tell everyone if they uncase with the muzzle pointed up range, no big deal, just rotate the case before actually handling the firearm.
    But you probably trust your guys to not have loaded guns in the case…

I don’t trust random goobers at the gun range.

Lowest common denominator and all that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    But you probably trust your guys to not have loaded guns in the case…

I don’t trust random goobers at the gun range.

Lowest common denominator and all that.
    Our range is open to the public.

Site Supporter
    Just a rant. At the IDPA matches, it was usually the case that after the match, folks who wanted to make their gun hot (since we shot carry guns a lot), would ask an RO or someone respectable to watch them load and chamber at the berm. Then you went off to your car. Since some USPSA dude (not an IDPA dude) shot his car, the range owner was paranoid about not making your gun hot in the car.

I do know a respectable trainer who shot his car that way.

At the USPSA matches, I don't see folks gearing up with carry guns. Since most wear those game belts - they just take them off. I did see a guy put on a carry holster but didn't see where he put on a carry gun.

We have a safe area where folks take their guns off. So I go that direction but stop at the outhouse to pee. When I get out, some old shithead is all excited that I peed before taking my gun off! Note the outhouse is before the safe area. Also during a match folks walk to the outhouse with their guns on.

I wonder if they would flip out if I asked to watch me make my gun hot on the range as I use carry gear to shoot. Probably have a stroke.

BTW, lots of folks, esp. old toots bring chairs to the range. If you AIWB, do you flag yourself when you sit? Folks sat around with hot AIWB guns at class all the time.

I'm more scared of those skeletonized holsters holding a gun, given folks have missed solidly holstering them.

User Tag List