Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Beretta M9

I’m starting to get sucked down the bunny hole. The Langdon variants are looking really good…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Looking at the variants is making my head hurt.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/

Lucky Gunner has a chart there about some of the different variants. It can be overwhelming, especially for someone who likes simple and straightforward.

Can someone please tell me how I’ve gone from looking at $600 guns to seriously considering spending $1300?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Can someone please tell me how I’ve gone from looking at $600 guns to seriously considering spending $1300?
    First time at pistol-forum?

Name:  goodfellas laughing.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  60.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The problem is after a few decades of service grade pistols I’ve started to hear the siren call of really nice guns. The DW ECPs ruined me.

A LTT 92G would run right out of the box and likely would blow a factory 92 out of the water.

I need a drink.
    Ken

You seriously do not have to do that, and that is coming from someone that is a Beretta fanboy and has owned and shot a LOT of 92s, competed with them, done work on them, etc.

I’ll give my honest to god recommendation:

Get a 92X. It has dovetail sights. The M9A1 does not. See if you like the Vertec frame. If not, spring for the G10 conversion grips. Get a G model when you buy. If you want to replace sights, buy Vertec sights (the dovetails are different on the Brigadier slides). If you can find one from before the RDO changeover, that will give you the option of having LTT do their slide work.

The only other way I recommend going is LTT models, but that’s a good amount of coin for a platform you’re not sure you’re gonna like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    You seriously do not have to do that, and that is coming from someone that is a Beretta fanboy and has owned and shot a LOT of 92s, competed with them, done work on them, etc.

I’ll give my honest to god recommendation:

Get a 92X. It has dovetail sights. The M9A1 does not. See if you like the Vertec frame. If not, spring for the G10 conversion grips. Get a G model when you buy. If you want to replace sights, buy Vertec sights (the dovetails are different on the Brigadier slides). If you can find one from before the RDO changeover, that will give you the option of having LTT do their slide work.

The only other way I recommend going is LTT models, but that’s a good amount of coin for a platform you’re not sure you’re gonna like.
    Good advice - a LTT model would be the high zoot route I would take.
    Ken

I ended up down this path: 92X Centurion. Installed the D kit and LTT TJIB. Have 12, 13, 14 lb hammer springs. The 12 lb makes the trigger amazing and I had no issues with primers. BUT I installed the 13 lb for HD duty and the trigger is still very nice. I am sure compared to an M9 the TJIB is night and day better.

The above setup was in the $800 range, buying the pistol/TJIB from individuals. I thought I would like the Vertec grip, but installed the full size grips that came with the pistol.

EDIT: There is a FS 92X RDO on ODT for $550, posted yesterday.

You can certainly go, and obtain tangible benefits from going "full meal deal" with Beretta/LTT's offerings, but frankly, I think an excellent entry would be a basic M9/92FS, 92D, 92G or M9A1, add in a LTT Trigger Job In A Bag, and, if desired, an upgraded set of sights (and any of the Beretta OEM sights are frankly quite acceptable). Replacing grips with thinner ones (such as LTT/Wilson/VZ G10s-all of which are actually made by VZ) also provides some significant improvements in handling.

I'm pretty sure all current 92s come with a Gen 3 locking block, so that should be a non-concern.

Get a decent holster, ammunition, magazines and training/practice/competition time, and you'll not only get some decent skills with the gun, but also empirically/incrementally learn what upgrades you specifically need for you and the gun.

Best, Jon

The problem is after a few decades of service grade pistols I’ve started to hear the siren call of really nice guns. The DW ECPs ruined me.

A LTT 92G would run right out of the box and likely would blow a factory 92 out of the water.

I need a drink.
    Here, have some more Kool-Aid.

There you go. Here, have another.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List