Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Beretta M9

I didn’t know the M9A3 and the 92X line were discontinued in place of the RDO compatible models. That is a little disappointing. I know a lot of enthusiasts prefer the LTT red dot system to the OEM Beretta one and now they don’t have the option for those guns.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thanks for all of the input! As I mentioned, this would be a range toy and the M9A1 is the model that appeals the most. I have no service history with them. I’m not worried about RDS, either.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

You’ll be well served by the M9A1 then. As a bonus, it comes with the sand resistant magazines the Marine Corps asked for. They’re some of the best 92 mags available.

Site Supporter
    Nah, not gonna talk you out of it. It's a solid choice, and it's a hobby gun. Be happy.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Hold out for a 92D and join the 18-round K frame club. They are sleeker, too. The sight picture doesn't look like it's wearing a beer hat, which the ambi 92 DA/SA guns do to me.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    If you do not plan to use an RDO, is there any disadvantage to having the RDO 92x?

I am looking it up, but the holster fit is not totally clear to me. Does a 92FS and 92x share Safariland ALS holsters or holsters in general?

HD, I think you should get a 92FS and a Ted Blocker swivel holster, go 1990s LAPD.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If you do not plan to use an RDO, is there any disadvantage to having the RDO 92x?

In my experience, no disadvantage.

The only disadvantage at all is if it has the Beretta RDS setup there is no way to get the Langdon setup (which is likely superior) without buying a different slide.

Ken;

Was bit by the Beretta bud winter of '21.
    Started when I was looking for a hi-power [of all things] and fondled the full size 92x in a shop.
    While the Vertec grip isn't for all Beretta fans, I'm going to think you'll like it as I did, because of your 1911 experience. The grip angle is very similar.
    The 92x series come with good triggers, and D springs. Decock models are available. Great capacity in the mags, and mags are readily available.

...Then there's the RDO;
    That sits so high above the bore with the Beretta plate that it'll give the gun nosebleeds. But works, and is in fact a solid, yet heavy high mount.

The first one I bought was the full size X, RDO. Solid platform and very accurate.

The second X I purchased was a Centurion 92X, NON RDO, that is the Best Beretta I have ever handled. Great balance, big, but can certainly be carried.
    Same trigger and springs as the full size, just 3/4" shorter.

I liked this gun so much, it was my LTT candidate, which was a bit of a rabbit hole, but surely worth it.

The Burris is mounted on the full size, using the Beretta plate, so you can judge the height.

The pistol with the gray grips is the LTT candidate 92X Centurion.
    You can see the LTT optic setup is much lower. Tony made me the holster for carry.

Perhaps try to find an X, NON RDO, with the G decocker .
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

If you find an EliteLTT grab it quickly, LTT starts w/ an M9A1 frame and goes from there.
    I really like the M9A1 for the great grip checkering and mag funnel. It is what I have been shooting in idpa for the last 4-5 years. The only downside is the non replaceable front sight. But that can be fixed by drilling and fileing and installing fiber optic.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]95116
    Keep in mind that any fs action 92 can be converted to G for $55. Another thought is the or M9A3 or M9A4. I don't care for the Vertec grip but Beretta has a G10 wrap around grip that converts it to a traditional shape.
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-ac...und-g10-grips/
    they are also available in rubber, which I don't care for, and in plastic but I haven't tried them.
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-ac...s-wrap-around/
    I point out these grips because the M9A3 and M9A4 have a lot of great features and can be made to feel like an M9A1. This is the black G10 on my tan M9A3.
    Name:  20191112_160804.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  98.7 KB
    This shows the difference between vertec and traditional grip shape.
    Name:  20200210_135430.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  51.0 KB
    A word of caution. Beretta makes all their pistols in batches. They have a large lineup but on any given day you can't always find maybe 1/2 of them. SO as you research and check local stores don't be afraid to get your card out NOW. The pistol may not be there if you think about it for 2-3 days and go back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looking at the variants is making my head hurt.

Some pics I’m finding of the M9A1 look like it has a dovetailed front, others don’t. And Beretta’s own website sucks when it comes to detail photos.

The ability to convert the Vertex gripframe to a more traditional shape using grips is appealing. That’s something I wasn’t aware could be done.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List