Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tisas "Duty" 9mm 1911 Range Report

Tisas "Duty" 9mm 1911 Range Report

I scratched my 9mm 1911 itch and ordered the Tisas "Duty" 5 inch all steel 1911 from Classic Arms for 339.00.
    This configuration comes with:
    ambi-safety(I'm sinister)
    Novak style 3 dot sights
    front slide serrations
    beveled mag well
    undercut trigger guard
    a 3 hole medium length trigger
    2 x 9 round unmarked mags(Checkmates per sumdood on the internet)
    All in a nice plastic box that has a plastic bushing wrench, a nylon bore brush and a plastic slotted patch jig. According to Tisas, every gun that comes in the plastic box has no MIM, only forged parts. Some of the late 2022 guns were all forged also, but the box is the definite cutoff.

It's Ceracoted a smooth matte black, slide to frame fit is tight enough not to rattle but can be moved and barrel to slide fit is very tight. The bushing is finger removable and it has a GI recoil system. The only markings on the slide are a small Tisas eagle and the word "Duty" behind the rear slide serrations.
    The only sharp edges are on the ambi-safety (thanks, guys), with undressed sharp edges for the lefty though the right hander side is okay. the safeties are smallish carry types with very positive on/off clicks.
    Loading the 9th round in both mags is a thumb peeler/buster.
    The trigger has smooth take-up, a wall that requires between 4.5 and 5 pounds to break, and it has no creep or roll. Reset is short, positive and tactile.

I sharpied the rear sight dots, dabbed the front dot orange, made sure the barrel was hollow all the way through,lubed it and hit the range Friday.

The first hundo was Winchester NATO ball. Recoil was soft, with a pronounced muzzle flip. I had 2 failures to eject, both in the last round of the mag. The first had the brass laying loose on the follower and the second ended up backwards between the magazine and the feed ramp.
    Brass to face was pronounced(lefty again), with the rest hitting the ground behind me at 1730.
    Up next, 100 blazer brass(Eli's duty carry of choice), even softer with less muzzle flip and 100% function.
    The sights are apparently regulated for 147 grains, because even at 10 yards I'm hitting low. Windage is dead on, and while I've not benched it yet, the gun groups well at 15 in "front sight press"cadence fire

I took it home, stripped , cleaned and lubed it again. I took out the safety and went to town with a file.

Today I fired 50 each of Norma Training, Maxxtech Steel and Blazer aluminum with 100% function. So, 350 rounds of asssorted ammo with 2 malfs in the first hundred rounds, both with NATO +P.

I've ordered a couple of recoil springs, 11 and 13 pounds, to experiment with and a MecGar 10 rounder. The safety needs more filing.

Handling it next to my RIA .45 FS, the Rock has a trigger that is lighter by about a half pound and much crisper. The slide to frame fitment on the Rock is better. I like the parkerizing better than the Ceracote. I prefer the Rock's safeties, although I had to take a hacksaw to them as well.

All in all, a promising start.

Welcome to the world of the 9mm 1911 where 2 malfunctions in the first 100 is a promising start. All kidding aside, your $350 gun did better in the first 100 rounds than than my Colt CCU that cost 4X that and my Wilson that cost 10X it.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    ambi-safety(I'm sinister)
    Name:  latin.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  31.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Received a MecGar 10 rounder and put a 100 through it, 50 Blazer Brass and 50 Tula, just to be mean. No sweat-i-da, 100% function. However, the 10-8 extractor test was a bust. Free style I still get brass to the face or ejected over my right shoulder behind me. Strong hand only the rounds drop through the mag well.
    I'm going to have to take a file to the front sight,as I'm 6 inches low at 10 yards. Interestingly, the sight is dovetailed and pinned.

How do those feed full with a round in the chamber?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    How do those feed full with a round in the chamber?
    ?
    If you mean the magazines, I fully loaded both the 9 and 10 rounders +1 each time. They seat easily and feed without a hitch thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    ?
    If you mean the magazines, I fully loaded both the 9 and 10 rounders +1 each time. They seat easily and feed without a hitch thus far.
    Good to know.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"in the same boat" - I bought the 5" 9mm railed version out of curiosity and shot it for the first time today. (100+ rounds no malfunctions; had a lot of guns to test)

The trigger on mine is great even by 1911 standards. Detail stripping the gun I was pleased with the quality of the sear, hammer, etc. Slide to frame fit has a lot of side to side play (no up down). Rear of slide matches up to the frame very nicely. Decent barrel fit.

I never tried the factory springs. Went right to a 13 lb Sprinco recoil spring and 20 lb Wolff mainspring. If anything I would try a 14 lb spring next. The recoil impulse was nothing amazing, not bad. Going back and forth between the 5" railed 9mm 1911 and a no rail 45 Ed Brown 1911 the recoil was not far apart.

The beavertail on the Ed Brown allows the hand about 1/8" higher than on the Tisas - that does more for recoil control than the trigger guard undercut on the Tisas.

The Tisas grouped well but was 3" low at 10 yards. The rounds stacked. Mostly shot Fiocchi 115 fmj.
    Last edited by Henry; 02-14-2023 at 10:14 PM.

I bought a Tisas 9MM Carry a couple of weeks ago. I'm having the same issues as you are. Failed the extractor test, shooting low with 115 and 124 grain ammo. Somewhere in the second half of the first hundred rounds, had a brass to face and then a failure to extract. During cleaning I noticed the FPS was loose and moving around much more than I would expect. Ordered a couple of EGW oversized ones, thinking maybe the extractor was clocking a little causing the malfunctions.

The only ammo I have that's 147 grain is some Federal HST.... will also most likely be doing some filing on the front sight to bring the POI up as most of my carry ammo is 124 grain HST's. The sights suck but other than that, so far I'm pretty happy with the way it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneruss View Post
    I bought a Tisas 9MM Carry a couple of weeks ago. I'm having the same issues as you are. Failed the extractor test, shooting low with 115 and 124 grain ammo. Somewhere in the second half of the first hundred rounds, had a brass to face and then a failure to extract. During cleaning I noticed the FPS was loose and moving around much more than I would expect. Ordered a couple of EGW oversized ones, thinking maybe the extractor was clocking a little causing the malfunctions.

The only ammo I have that's 147 grain is some Federal HST.... will also most likely be doing some filing on the front sight to bring the POI up as most of my carry ammo is 124 grain HST's. The sights suck but other than that, so far I'm pretty happy with the way it shoots.
    Is the 147 shooting POA/POI? Do you a center hold or 6 oclock?

User Tag List