Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Beretta M9

What kind of safety does the M9 have? Personally on a DA/SA gun I would opt for a decocker (G-model) for just one less thing to worry about. I finally got Beretta-curious (thanks Martin Riggs and John Maclaine…) but opted for the LTT 92 Elite. RDO bc my eyes are old.

Do you want something to remind you of a service weapon? Get an M9, maybe drop a D spring in it for a nicer trigger.

Do you want something more refined that's nicer to shoot? Get an LTT or Wilson variant (I'm really partial to the Centurion versions of each) with their respective trigger/action work.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I would only buy the M9 if you have some kind of sentimental attachment to it from military service. Pretty much every other 92 variant is better. The M9 lacks the radius under the beaver tail and the military versions are stuck with the gen1 locking blocks. I don’t know how accurately the commercial variants clone the military models with regards to the locking block but the current gen3 locking block that comes in every other 92 available is orders of magnitude more durable. If you just want a traditional looking 92, I’d get a 92FS instead. You’d get the radius under the beaver tail (may or may not be important depending on your hand size) and the updated locking block. The M9A1has both of these features as well as checkering and a light rail if that’s important to you. The M9A3 has all of the above plus a removable front sight and uses the Vertec frame. The LTT Elite 92s are probably the best guns Beretta ever made but that’s a lot of coin unless you’re a 92 enthusiast. If you just want one to have in the collection, I vote either a regular 92FS or M9A1 if you want the traditional frame, or the 92X if you want the Vertec frame.
    I concur with the above…
    I’m a traditionalist in that I prefer the “non-X” frame, but absolutely see the value in the Vertec slide for it’s replaceable front sight (if you can foresee the utility of night sights in the future). So M9A1 would be my first choice, even though I have no use for a rail.
    Beware, though- B92s are seductive. I have several, and carry and compete with them. Hard to find something superior, unless you need really small.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

All other 92X variants as well as M9A3s have been discontinued.

As far as I know the OG 92Xs and the M9A3 were replaced with 92X RDO models and the M9A4 respectively, with the only real change being that both revisions add Berettas red dot capability (which is not the same as the LTT solution, and is not compatible in any way with the LTT solution).

I picked up a 92X RDO Centurion G that I may take up carrying, as well as an M9A4 Centurion that will probably be its training counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    If it’s just for fun get whatever you want, but I think the new 92x line has some legit upgrades over a stock 92. Namely, it comes with a vertec slide and nice removable sights, comes standard as G model, comes standard with the D hammer spring, and IMO has better grip texture than a standard 92. Since it’s a vertec gun, it’s got a flat mainspring housing but the wraparound grips that come with it mimic the hump pretty well.
    Quoted just so I can pile onto the 92X bandwagon.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve always liked the 92 series guns I’ve shot, but I’ve never owned one. It would be strictly a recreational pistol, I don’t see myself ever carrying one. Today at the gun show I handled one for the first time in a few years and remembered why I liked them.

Is there any downside to an M9 over any other 92 variant? What about advantages between the various M9s - M9, M9A1, M9A3?

My initial thinking is the M9A1 would be my sweet spot due to the front and backstrap checkering and traditional gripframe shape.

Do I need this? No. Would I enjoy it? I’m thinking yes.
    I’ve done a lot of shooting with a lightly modified 92FS and really, the M9 model is so close that I barely notice when I shoot one vs a 92FS. I say get one and have fun. You can make the sight picture a little better with a Wilson rear and some orange nail polish on the front.

LTT has some good grip options. A D spring is like $5 or so and a 3 minute install. If you gotta have a G model, you can do that too if you watch a couple videos and have a little mechanical aptitude.

Like others have said, if you want the best, that probably means LTT.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    What kind of safety does the M9 have? Personally on a DA/SA gun I would opt for a decocker (G-model) for just one less thing to worry about. I finally got Beretta-curious (thanks Martin Riggs and John Maclaine…) but opted for the LTT 92 Elite. RDO bc my eyes are old.
    The M9 has the standard safety/decocker. You can do a G conversion with the Beretta kit. Available on Beretta’s site as well as LTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    As far as I know the OG 92Xs and the M9A3 were replaced with 92X RDO models and the M9A4 respectively, with the only real change being that both revisions add Berettas red dot capability (which is not the same as the LTT solution, and is not compatible in any way with the LTT solution).
    Yup, forgot about those. Thank you for the correction. I sort of get why they did their dot mount the way they did, but why not license out the design and parts from LTT and just have one style dot mount? Maybe Beretta wouldn’t play ball and decided to half-ass their own solution.

The Langdon M9 has a lot of the base M9 DNA to remind me of my service weapon, and enough of the modern stuff to make sense to me.

Slim grips, G decock only, red front sight dot, enlarged magazine release, steel parts and what not.

I think they're discontinued. They're great guns. I carry one.

Site Supporter
    Couldn’t possibly talk you out of it. M9s are great guns. My beretta is a 92A1, and is one of my favorite guns ever.

User Tag List