Thread: Perhaps a low-probability question—1301 Color match or other option?

Perhaps a low-probability question—1301 Color match or other option?

My 1301 is FDE—which is really more like a bronze color to my eye. I preferred the green but didn’t want to wait, when all models were tough to find. Recently received the LTT upgrade kit, which comes with black furniture. I’m thinking of painting the new furniture to match the factory color. Not really looking to paint the barrel/receiver, but probably will paint the tube extension…

Does anyone happen to know of a color that is close enough to the Beretta FDE that it won’t be off-putting? I’ve never painted a gun, but I know there’s lots of info out there about how to do it.

It’s not a safe queen, I have no plans to sell, and I’m not terribly fussy—but guns that shoot good *and* look good are even better than those that only shoot good.

IMO if you don't like the color and are already out for the LTT kit, I'd either send it out to have someone refinish it OD green or use this product, which is pretty much made for DIY, IMO:

https://www.norrells.com/

I've only used the thermal dry, which requires heat curing. They have an air-dry product which may be suitable for plastic.

I like using the thermal because you can pre-heat the item to 150-200 and the solvent evaporates as you apply the resin which prevents runs. If you booboo, until you've cured the item @ 300 for an hour, you can use paint remover to give it another try.

BTW, I agree, I don't think black furniture looks good with FDE. IMO, though, black furniture looks good with OD.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I second the MolyResin suggestion. Over the years I have done numerous rifles and shotguns using the product. Proper careful prep (read a good thorough degreasing), proper preheat, and a simple hobby (HF) external mix sprayer will produce very nice results. I did a Mossberg 88 a few years back (cabin gun) and despite all kinds of unspeakable torment...it looks like it was finished yesterday.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Can't help with the FDE one but I had my extension Cerakoted Milspec O.D. Green H-240 and think it matched up pretty good.

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Good to hear people are still using MolyResin! I used it years ago and loved stuff! I used the heat cure stuff too and I liked how it goes on real thin. You should sandblast the thing to be painted for best results too.

User Tag List