Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cool looking large knife/small sword

Looking for a cool looking large knife/small sword

Having acquired Tops Operator 7, I am looking to pick up another large knife/small sword. The only criteria: cool and somewhat practical.
    I am contemplating modern "tactical" Gladius, Becker Kukri and BK 9 to give an idea. Machete like knives/swords would also be cool.
    I appreciate any suggestions on make/models, etc...
    While it will primarily be a wall hanger, I want it to be useable in the field, possibly during a zombie apocalypse

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Having acquired Tops Operator 7, I am looking to pick up another large knife/small sword. The only criteria: cool and somewhat practical.
    I am contemplating modern "tactical" Gladius, Becker Kukri and BK 9 to give an idea. Machete like knives/swords would also be cool.
    I appreciate any suggestions on make/models, etc...
    While it will primarily be a wall hanger, I want it to be useable in the field, possibly during a zombie apocalypse
    Have you looked at the TOPS Cuma Kage? It's a bit bigger than the BK9, but definitely falls into the tactical LARPing short sword niche. I bought one and returned it just because it was less practical for me than other blades I wanted at the time. It's a bit heavier than it looks, but felt well balanced, and it reportedly processes wood well.

I have both the BK9 and BK21 (kukri). I prefer the BK9 because it's relatively light and compact, yet cuts well above its weight. I don't get the awesome results that others rave about with the kukri, but that just may be a lack of technique on my part.

I have the most fun using my American Tomahawk Company Model 1. I know the latter isn't a knife or sword, but tomahawks just feel right to me, and I appreciate the extra utility you get from the spike or hammer poll. The CRKT Kangee (not the woods version) gets honorable mention.

Last, but not least, the humble Tramontina 18" bush machete is also a top pick for me. Most people think of machetes as strictly jungle tools, but I find they're great on wood as long as you're not batoning. A properly sharpened machete and good technique is an awesome tool. And at $15 or less, you can easily afford to have multiples.

For Tactical Nerd LARPING Skallagrim is your man.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    For Tactical Nerd LARPING Skallagrim is your man.

That Sharkalope is a surprisingly fast and balanced blade. I visited their shop while on tour a few years back and that was my favorite sword they make.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

How's something like an OKC Raider Bowie?

Next to an 8in chef's knife for comparison

Site Supporter
    The Busse Combat Knife Co - Battle Mistress

https://nordicknives.com/collections...tle-mistress-1
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

How about this old school Old Timer/Schrade Bowie:

Site Supporter

Something like this Pirate Hanger?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Thank you all! Sharkalope or another blade from Zombie Tools definitely look like a winner! I also have BK9 in the mail.

User Tag List