Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Level 2 "Concealment" holsters

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    To be honest, I don't know. Our county is trying to adopt rules making carrying a pistol nearly impossible, and this is one of them
    I would attend any public meetings, and put the clowns on the spot by asking them to define what "level 2" is. Have the above to reference, and hopefully be able to publicly correct/shame.

As to quickly available, I use Midway USA's holster finder to locate in-stock holsters.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My guess - someone looked at what retention was required by the local LE agency and copied it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    this is what I thought. Carrying "mexican" was level 0, any holster was level 1, and a thumb break or similar is level 2. But I don't know if the city agrees. If I can get away with a thumb break, it's easy
    The proposed law should have a definition of what a "Level 2" holster means. I suggest you research the proposed law.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    The proposed law should have a definition of what a "Level 2" holster means. I suggest you research the proposed law.
    Trust me. They don't know. The rule says "Type 2", not "Level 2". The hearing discussing these rules is tomorrow, and I've already submitted my testimony.

I would think a thumb break would cover Level 2.

Simply Rugged should have a Tribute for both guns https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...158&parent=669

Tucker should offer a thumb break holster for those gun https://tuckergunleather.com/outside...-owb-holsters/

I know you're familiar with Andrews, and they offer thumb breaks, even for the MacDaniel II.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I would attend any public meetings, and put the clowns on the spot by asking them to define what "level 2" is. Have the above to reference, and hopefully be able to publicly correct/shame.
    And be prepared for ignorant retard comments like this...

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Fairly good article here on holster retention. I've always understood retention levels as:

Level 1 = Friction only retaining the gun in the holster.
    Level 2 = One device that has to be manipulated actively retaining the gun in the holster. (thumb break only, ALS only, SLS only, SERPA button)
    Level 3 = Two devices that have to be manipulated actively retaining the gun in the holster. (thumb break & twist the gun, ALS/SLS, SERPA button and hood)

It's not all that clear cut or uniform. Some leather thumb break holsters also have a tension screw which serves to increase the friction. The excellent JMCK 2 kydex holster has a tension screw which, when cranked down, makes drawing pretty tough. The great old Safariland 070III had upper and lower thumb snaps and required a slight rearward movement to draw. It had a tension screw and two allen screws to lock the holster in place on your gunbelt.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Presuming a thumb break meets the criteria for 1911: Galco is a quick solution while waiting for a Sherrick SIS.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

[QUOTE=FNFAN;1402415]Fairly good article here on holster retention. I've always understood retention levels as:

Level 1 = Friction only retaining the gun in the holster.
    Level 2 = One device that has to be manipulated actively retaining the gun in the holster. (thumb break only, ALS only, SLS only, SERPA button)
    Level 3 = Two devices that have to be manipulated actively retaining the gun in the holster. (thumb break & twist the gun, ALS/SLS, SERPA button and hood)

^^^That is how I have always understood it as well.

Plus Safariland had a Sentry attachment for their ALS/SLS which made it a Level 4 (not even sure if it is still a thing.)
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

User Tag List