Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Level 2 "Concealment" holsters

I would just go with a thumb break holster. Either iwb or pancake if it needs to be concealed.

Does the new rule/law say whether or not you have to utilize the retention?
    Name:  IMG_20220201_101701.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  89.7 KB

Just install a hammer thong, then don't use it??

From Safariland website:

RETENTION LEVELS EXPLAINED

For years Safariland has set the standard of how firearms are retained within a holster. For Safariland duty holsters, these standards are defined as Retention Levels, rating them as I, II, III, IV. Each level subjects the holster with its single or combination of security mechanism and type of firearm release to specific tests that are reflective of the type of force expected of an adversary trying to release the firearm from the holster.

For each level, a primary securing device is defined and then additional security mechanisms are added to reach each subsequent retention level. A simplified way to think of retention is by the number of actions required to release the weapon. For example, a Level I requires the operator pull back on the ALS is a single action to release the weapon. At Level II, the operator must push down on the strap button then flip the SLS over (2 actions) before the weapon is free. At Level III, the added actions of LI and LII is a total of 3 actions. Remember after each action the pull test is performed and the holster must pass that test to be rated the designated level.

Site Supporter
    Safariland can name their levels however they want. But having used all the above systems- I think it’s a bit nitpickey to say the ALS only is level 1, but the SLS only is level 2. Either way, it looks like your local regulatory officials will have to clarify what they define as a “type 2.” Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Does the new rule/law say whether or not you have to utilize the retention?

Just install a hammer thong, then don't use it??
    That’s a good point. I’m trying to cover all the bases so they can’t F me. I’ll deal with the extra gear later

Site Supporter
    While we could debate the wisdom of retention in concealed carry holsters or whether Safariland's system should be considered industry-standard or somehow codified, I think this is more about conforming to legislative stupidity than anything else. Regards from Maryland.

I never realized levels weren’t standardized, I’ve always followed Safariland’s description since they are the big boys. Basically, a level for each separate type of retention. Thumbbreak = 1, ALS = 1, ALS plus 6006 = 2, ALS plus SLS = 2, etc.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

For your consideration:

Name:  CC635D19-99E9-48E9-8AFE-C5BFC2E128F5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  17.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For your consideration:

Name:  CC635D19-99E9-48E9-8AFE-C5BFC2E128F5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  17.8 KB
    I've already rigged up shock cord loops on the AIWB rigs as a test, but reholstering with cords hanging nearby is giving me the willies

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    From Safariland website:

RETENTION LEVELS EXPLAINED

For years Safariland has set the standard of how firearms are retained within a holster. For Safariland duty holsters, these standards are defined as Retention Levels, rating them as I, II, III, IV. Each level subjects the holster with its single or combination of security mechanism and type of firearm release to specific tests that are reflective of the type of force expected of an adversary trying to release the firearm from the holster.

For each level, a primary securing device is defined and then additional security mechanisms are added to reach each subsequent retention level. A simplified way to think of retention is by the number of actions required to release the weapon. For example, a Level I requires the operator pull back on the ALS is a single action to release the weapon. At Level II, the operator must push down on the strap button then flip the SLS over (2 actions) before the weapon is free. At Level III, the added actions of LI and LII is a total of 3 actions. Remember after each action the pull test is performed and the holster must pass that test to be rated the designated level.

To expound somewhat:

https://inside.safariland.com/educat...testing-works/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List