Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: holster thigh strap?

@CraigS

If you @ tag me or “like” a post then I’ll know you responded otherwise it’s at the mercy of wandering back around the forum to realize you responded.

I only know USPSA rules so you’ll have to see what translates over and what doesn’t.

I’ll take some pictures when I get home but if you upload some pictures of your holsters I can show you on your holsters.

The common retention device on some newer holsters is a lever clamp with an eccentric cam.

Like the ones you have on a tripod leg or on a scope mount.

Clamp the lever closed when not running the stage. Open it at make ready.

Use it instead of a traditional screw or thumb screw on the trigger guard area.

I’ll make a quick video later today regarding what makes holsters fast from a geometry standpoint.

You’re a 3 o’clock holster guy, right?

Yes, 3 oclock.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Yes, 3 oclock.
    Dude, you did it again. Haha. Had no idea you replied because you didn’t tag, like or quote me.

Here’s a video regarding holsters.

Thanks JCN. I hope my liking the above post does what you were expecting. I never thought of it as a way to help w/ not having to search all around to find a reply before. That extra room at the top inside of the holster is in some of my holsters but not all. I looked at it as being there to keep the attachment screws/nuts from scraping along the side of the gun. But I think your point about freeing up the gun on the way out of the holster is way more important. I also need to start cutting away the top front of my diy kydex holsters. I have not done that yet as I was concerned that the overall strength of the holster might be reduced. I have been concentrating on pulling the gun nearly straight up and then pushing it out so I didn't think that cutting away the front of the holster would make much difference. IE, I don't get the feeling that the muzzle end is trying to pass through that area and getting hung up. But your thought on it being helpful for freeing up the gun is certainly valid. I have been using kydex either .080" or .093" thick and have actually been thinking to go a little thinner to get better definition and make it easier to form. Now I think I need to stay w/ the thicker so I can cut some of it away. Thanks for your video and helpful ideas.

Perfect!

The cut front does help a ton to start angling the muzzle up (more hypotenuse than two sides of a triangle on draw).

I notice it a lot and will often cut away that area on cheaper holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Perfect!

The cut front does help a ton to start angling the muzzle up (more hypotenuse than two sides of a triangle on draw).

I notice it a lot and will often cut away that area on cheaper holsters.
    I did cut some of the front of my diy holster away. I don't notice any real change on my draw as far as the barrel being able to move forward/upward sooner. But what I do notice is this. On a real slow, let's see what is happening draw, the gun becomes much looser in the holster much more quickly. These are obviously not actual measured numbers but, if I start the draw, and as a test, wiggle the gun left or right, or cant it forward or back, as it rises, maybe it needed to rise 3 inches to be loose enough to allow these movements. Now it is loose at one inch of rise. To me this is a huge change for the better. I look at it as, neither of us is anywhere near a pro level shooter, so the more 'off' our draw stroke can be without a significant negative effect, the better it is. I will be cutting away 2 more holsters this weekend.

CraigS,

I think that’s super cool you’re making your own holsters!

If you’re willing to try some other gear, I might have some. Free. Thanksgiving P-F love!

One condition - you have to throw any Serpa holsters you own in the trash

Gotta look in my locker at work. I think I have a NIB Safariland ALS that will fit your 92, and maybe maybe a Comptac.

If you want to drop and offset the ALS - Safariland makes what you’ll need. The 1” or 1.5” drop might keep the butt of the gun at legal height, anything dropped lower than that might need a thigh strap from my personal experience.

PM your address, please.

Jeremy

I forgot to ask…are you right handed?

Yes right handed.

User Tag List