Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holster thigh strap?

holster thigh strap?

Talked to another shooter two months ago when he showed up w/ drop and offset holster and individual mag pouches set at an angle. So that was when I decided I needed to get better at making kydex holsters. So now my wife and I both have dropped and offset holsters w/ thigh straps. I didn't go to individual mag pouches but did figure a way to mod our double mag pouches to set them at an angle. We are not 100% proficient yet w/ the new stuff, but it is obvious that it is better. A couple weeks ago a competitor thought the drop and offset wasn't legal so I got searching the new rules again and found that YES they are legal (as I was pretty sure). But I can't find anything about thigh straps. We could maybe find a way to work things out w/o them but the retention rule might suffer some. I don't think it matters but we are shooting Beretta 92s in SSP. Any of you have info on these?

Surely you haven't dropped it too far.

8.1.5.12 A dropped and offset (DOH) holster with the butt of the firearm no lower than the top of the belt may be used. Concealment and cant angle rules apply.

Do you have long enough coattails to cover thigh straps?

8.7.1 Concealment garments must hide all of the holster, firearm, ammunition carriers, loading devices and other equipment from view in any direction.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Jim, wife and I added 2 inches to the bottom of my old 5-11 vest. I was lucky they had some huge internal pocket across the back so I removed that and used the fabric for the extension. We did check that it covers the holster but I don't think I had the strap on at that time. I will check again. The Izaak Walton that we shoot at is pretty loose on regulations so no problem there. But the other club is a bit more stringent. I will find out next Sat if anyone has a problem w/ it.

Well one of the higher skill guys was away at some upper level matches last month but came to our local match last weekend. I asked about thigh straps and he said not legal. That had been addressed at the other match. Dang, I took mine off right then. I am going to keep experimenting. I find that drop and offset has a downside in that they eccentuate the holster coming up off my leg due to the slight bit of retention the holster has. More retention makes it worse. Good it is adjustable. I like the gun lower but the most important part to me is that the offset lets me get a complete full hand and thumb grip on the gun before it leaves the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Well one of the higher skill guys was away at some upper level matches last month but came to our local match last weekend. I asked about thigh straps and he said not legal. That had been addressed at the other match. Dang, I took mine off right then. I am going to keep experimenting. I find that drop and offset has a downside in that they eccentuate the holster coming up off my leg due to the slight bit of retention the holster has. More retention makes it worse. Good it is adjustable. I like the gun lower but the most important part to me is that the offset lets me get a complete full hand and thumb grip on the gun before it leaves the holster.
    Super stiff belt is key to help prevent that.

If you want less retention, you can wax your holster.

Yes I need to look at belts. I use a heavy leather belt now ( BullhideBelts) and also have version w/ steel between the layers. It doesn't seem to do much though. IDPA requires some kind of a standard belt (I forget the specifics) but I am pretty sure an inner/outer belt rig won't be allowed. Our holsters are kydex and I have been spraying the insides w/ silicone. The last 2 cans of that I have bought both of them are nearly uncontrollable fire hose spray pattern. So I spray, sit it in the top of the trash can to drip, and then do a run through w/ a batch of paper towel. It definitely helps.

Yes I need to look at belts. I use a heavy leather belt now ( BullhideBelts) and also have version w/ steel between the layers. It doesn't seem to do much though. IDPA requires some kind of a standard belt (I forget the specifics) but I am pretty sure an inner/outer belt rig won't be allowed. Our holsters are kydex and I have been spraying the insides w/ silicone. The last 2 cans of that I have bought both of them are nearly uncontrollable fire hose spray pattern. So I spray, sit it in the top of the trash can to drip, and then do a run through w/ a batch of paper towel. It definitely helps.
    The other thing you can do is use a little heat to smooth out any of the hang up points.

The best “competition holsters” flare out quite a bit in the middle to upper holster area so you can twist them a little on the way out without binding.

You can do this yourself with any holster with a little heat.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore....CarryIDPA-Belt

This is a sub-$20 IDPA belt that’s basically like the outer of a USPSA setup.

EDIT: now that I’m thinking of it… wonder if a traditional USPSA outer belt could be IDPA legal if you happened to sew Velcro to your pants in the belt area…

What rule says thigh strap is not legal?

Site Supporter
    Talked to another shooter two months ago when he showed up w/ drop and offset holster and individual mag pouches set at an angle. So that was when I decided I needed to get better at making kydex holsters. So now my wife and I both have dropped and offset holsters w/ thigh straps. I didn't go to individual mag pouches but did figure a way to mod our double mag pouches to set them at an angle. We are not 100% proficient yet w/ the new stuff, but it is obvious that it is better. A couple weeks ago a competitor thought the drop and offset wasn't legal so I got searching the new rules again and found that YES they are legal (as I was pretty sure). But I can't find anything about thigh straps. We could maybe find a way to work things out w/o them but the retention rule might suffer some. I don't think it matters but we are shooting Beretta 92s in SSP. Any of you have info on these?
    There is no rule against thigh straps per se in IDPA.

However, holsters need to either be concealed (or at least concealable) or duty rigs for LE or military.

So an LEO or military member using their duty gear could use a thigh strap. However it’s hard to argue that a holster with a thigh strap is “concealed” or “concealable” with any realistic cover garment.

1.2 Principles of Shooting IDPA

1.2.2.1 Concealable: All equipment will be placed so that it is not visible while wearing a concealment garment, with your arms extended to your sides, parallel to the ground.

1.2.2.2 Practical: All equipment must be practical for all day concealed carry self-defense, and worn in a manner that is appropriate for all day continuous wear.

1.2.3 Participation Principles

1.2.3.1 Competitors will not attempt to circumvent or compromise any stage by the use of inappropriate devices, equipment, or techniques.

Thanks JCN, I will get 2 of those belts on the way. Surprisingly inexpensive. I will look at holsters more carefully. Do you have a picture of the 'flare out' style. I started making our own holsters this past summer. Thought it would be fun and easier to make than find. Shooting Beretta 92s doesn't help. Mine is standard slide width but wife's is a wide Brig slide. Then I needed one that is light bearing. Then I got the all steel model 92 which has a slide between narrow and wide. I am beginning to think I need one w/ mechanical retention w/ a lever to release it so the holster can be a loose fit but still keep the gun inside. I have a bunch of Serpa holsters which I really like but also understand the thought that the trigger finger release lever probably isn't the best design. So I don't use them. A year ago I tried a Safariland GLS and was not impressed w/it at all.
    https://safariland.com/collections/g...h-paddle-57800

User Tag List