Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrorfest 2022

Doctor Sleep

I just rewatched The Shining and then the sequel Doctor Sleep.
    Wow.
    Danny grows up as a tortured alcoholic drifter hiding from the things from the Overlook Hotel. He finally deals with all the ghosts and goes sober.
    One day he Shines contact with a little girl who is unbelievably powerful. They become "pen pals" and years pass.
    Then, as a teenager she psychically witnesses a horrifying murder by a pack of vampires who torture children and feed off their pain and fear. But by seeing them, they see her Shine and come after her. The only thing is, this little girl is harder than a coffin nail, isn't running and enlists Danny's help in hunting down and killing the vampires.
    The film is quite horrific, with multiple child murders and one particularly gruesome-unusually so for a Hollywood movie. The stakes keep getting raised as the hunt turns cat and mouse and innocents pay the price.
    The main cast is excellent-especially the teenager-but the supporting cast gives real depth to the story. The vampires are truly vile, nightmarish and clever. Unlike many horror films this one builds to a satisfyingly thunderous climax that is brutal, tragic and satisfying.
    Recommended.

American Werewolf in London, The Howling, and Dog Soldiers are my top three Werewolf movies. I can’t decide how to rank them so it’s the top three in no particular order.

Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    American Werewolf in London, The Howling, and Dog Soldiers are my top three Werewolf movies. I can’t decide how to rank them so it’s the top three in no particular order.
    Dog Soldiers better be the top and debate simply for the number two slot.

"Come an 'ave a go if you think yer 'ard enough!"

I hope I give you the shits, you fucking wimp!

Original Poltergeist on AMC tonight.

Man, I haven't thought of TV station sign-offs in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Original Poltergeist on AMC tonight.

Man, I haven't thought of TV station sign-offs in quite some time.
    I remember waiting up for this

Annihilation

A meteor impacts at a lighthouse and some sort of slowly expanding field emerges. 2 years pass as the .gov sends every sort of probe and sensor into the "Shimmer" without avail. Nothing or no one that goes in is heard from again. Now, the Shimmer has engulfed a National park and some small townships so Teams of SOF are sent in. Nobody returns.
    A year later an Operator shows up at his home without explanation or memory of where he's been to his grieving wife. They are both taken into custody and she finds out about the Shimmer and its menace to the Earth.
    As a Johns Hopkins biologist, she volunteers to accompany a non-military penetration of the Shimmer.

Much like Kubrick in The Shining, the director(Ex Machina) uses cinematography, score and unreliable narration to build an escalating sense of alien wrongness and creeping dread as the protagonists go deeper into the Shimmer. The bizarre landscape wrought by the Shimmer and the isolation that the memory effects cause to each person becomes more ominous every minute.

The best evocation of Lovecraftian "Cosmic Horror" I've seen on film.

Free on YouTube.

Last edited by feudist; 10-09-2022 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I remember waiting up for this

As do I!

I was very young at the time, and my mom had 'standing orders' to wake me up if I fell asleep.

I didn't know the story of the poem and the man behind it until many years later; they're worth reading...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Flight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gillespie_Magee_Jr.

This brings back memories of when times were simpler...

-Rainman

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

The Howling scared the crap out of me as a young teen. The scene where the reporter girl is on the phone with her boyfriend while sneaking into the office and going through files? And then the clawed hand comes down out of the shadows and removes it from her hand? Yikes. Bought Winchester Silvertips for my Sig P220....just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    The Howling scared the crap out of me as a young teen. The scene where the reporter girl is on the phone with her boyfriend while sneaking into the office and going through files? And then the clawed hand comes down out of the shadows and removes it from her hand? Yikes. Bought Winchester Silvertips for my Sig P220....just in case.
    That scene is probably the scariest one in the movie for me. I’m with you. Yikes,!!

User Tag List