Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable power for electronic devices

Portable power for electronic devices

Going on vacation to Japan next month and am trying to square us away. I currently use a 10000mAh unit for myself, but with me, my wife and son, and my MIL, and two apple devices each, I think I need to level up my battery game. I think I'll have only the overnight hours to charge the battery and devices. What's everyone using, or wish they were using?

Oh, and because I live where I do, I can't order stuff like that on amazon. I gotta be able to get them at Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-20-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Oh, and because I live where I do, I can't order stuff like that on amazon. I gotta be able to get them at Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc
    May I ask why you can't use Amazon? Because if it's an issue of delivery, Amazon can always just ship to a storage locker; for example, around me, I can have an item shipped to a locker at the many Circle Ks in my area.

I've never had an issue with the Anker power banks I've bought. They're a bit more expensive than your no-name brands, but they're a quality product, and generally a bit cheaper than the types of bigger brands you'd see in a cellular provider store or big box store. I know Walmart at the very least carries them online, and you can also have them ship it to a store and pick it up there.

If this is specifically for overnight charging of phones and tablets, you don't really need the nicer features like PowerDelivery, which allow you to charge faster and can also feed laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    May I ask why you can't use Amazon? Because if it's an issue of delivery, Amazon can always just ship to a storage locker; for example, around me, I can have an item shipped to a locker at the many Circle Ks in my area.
    They won't ship batteries, especially lithium, to Hawaii. They've let a few things slip by over the years, but they're pretty strict these days

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread, but if you plan to charge up your devices overnight, why not just getting a few US->JP wall plug adapters ? (potentially with voltage conversion too, not sure what juice comes out of Japanese wall plugs).

Thats what we always did all over the world. Had one power bank with me for emergency use. I consider the power bank useful for people who don't know in which corner of the world they might end up (ie traveling for emergencies but not on a planned vacation), or if you need some juice for your device in the middle of a day trip.

In Japan you'll be fine with your typical 2 prong plug. 3 prong (ground) isn't as common. I bought an extra power supply for my laptop and cut off the 3rd prong. Works great.

For power I agree Anker is a good bet. High quality, works as it should.

Site Supporter
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...s=960&keys=key

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=ank...ore%3AIn-store

https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=...TermRaw=anker+

Anker has been my #1 choice since 2014 when we hiked Philmont for battery packs, chargers, cords etc.

My Kids used Anker products in college and their travels.

By way of extrapolation, we used a combination of Anker packs and in the wall chargers when we were in the Canary Islands (Spain) last Xmas.
    The other thing was that many outlets there also had an integrated USB plug in such that a typical charger cord would plug right into the outlet “frame” so to speak without the need for any charger/converter.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/...BoC40kQAvD_BwE

We used the “Spanish” version of the one below linked below. The linked below says it works in Japan.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-TESSA...st_sto_dp&th=1
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Thanks guys. My 10yo uses enough power for a small town, and so does my wife. In addition to our normal stuff (phone/ipad), my son will likely bring a Switch, I'll bring my work laptop, and my wife will bring a kindle.

I already have the small 10,000mAh flat unit. Maybe I'll get a 20-30,000mAh unit to supplement it. One thing I do know is that the USB chargers on the plane typically don't charge his ipad

Thanks guys. My 10yo uses enough power for a small town, and so does my wife. In addition to our normal stuff (phone/ipad), my son will likely bring a Switch, I'll bring my work laptop, and my wife will bring a kindle.

I already have the small 10,000mAh flat unit. Maybe I'll get a 20-30,000mAh unit to supplement it. One thing I do know is that the USB chargers on the plane typically don't charge his ipad
    More often than not they'll have 110AC outlets on an international flight. Bring your wall wart adapter and you can power whatever you want.

For a 20-30,000mAh unit, make sure to check with your airline for any Watt-hour restrictions.

Site Supporter
    Anker is my preferred brand for charging-related products.

User Tag List