Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrorfest 2022

Horrorfest 2022

Saturday begins the season for spooky films, radio, novels, and short stories. Naturally, we might want to have outselves a thread for suggestions, reviews, viewing logs, links to streaming and files, and general irreverent conversation.

I'll be digging up some Vincent Price audio material by the weekend but will kick us off with a short review.

The Spore (2021)

Fungal outbreak, violent infected, body horror, you've seen it all before. You've seen it done much better with dialog that does not suck, for that matter.

But.

You can tell the crew was having fun, here. The effects are practical rather than CGI with an experience FX makeup artist on staff. The writer, director, and editor being the same man explains the failure to have the three balance each other's errors yet leaves us with an obvios labor of love. And the special features on the DVD release have a lovely self-depreciating making of segment.

Red Box likely has it so think about giving it a go if you enjoy roasting films and don't value your time.

Here is a previous thread for further reading.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 09-29-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Some of my favorite atmospheric movies for Halloween that have a seasonal ambiance:

Curse of The Demon--an old black and white film. It is well made and not cheesy. Takes place in the UK with Halloween briefly in the background. An American professor arrives in London for a parapsychology conference, only to find himself investigating the mysterious actions of Devil-worshiper and his small cult. The silly monster illustrated was added later in brief bits because someone felt that the movie needed a monster.

One that scared the crap out of me as a kid: City of The Dead. A B&W film with strong seasonal ambiance. A young college student arrives in a sleepy Massachusetts town to research witchcraft; during her stay at an eerie inn, she discovers a startling secret about the town and its inhabitants. the trailer and a link to the whole film on Youtube.

First the trailer:

Now the entire movie:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Some of my favorite atmospheric movies for Halloween that have a seasonal ambiance:

Curse of The Demon--an old black and white film. It is well made and not cheesy. Takes place in the UK with Halloween briefly in the background. An American professor arrives in London for a parapsychology conference, only to find himself investigating the mysterious actions of Devil-worshiper and his small cult. The silly monster illustrated was added later in brief bits because someone felt that the movie needed a monster.

One that scared the crap out of me as a kid: City of The Dead. A B&W film with strong seasonal ambiance. A young college student arrives in a sleepy Massachusetts town to research witchcraft; during her stay at an eerie inn, she discovers a startling secret about the town and its inhabitants. the trailer and a link to the whole film on Youtube.

First the trailer:

Now the entire movie:
    That was Christopher Lee in that trailer of "City of the Dead" wasn't it?

I've seen Curse of the Demon, definitely well made. It's from the same guy that made Cat People, which I think is even better.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That was Christopher Lee in that trailer of "City of the Dead" wasn't it?

I've seen Curse of the Demon, definitely well made. It's from the same guy that made Cat People, which I think is even better.
    Val Lewton and Jacques Tourneau. They also did The Leopard Man and I Walked With a Zombie.
    I thought Lewton's production of The Seventh Victim had one of the existentially creepy endings I've ever seen.

My Halloween cinematic tradition is the 1982 version of "The Thing", followed by "Alien".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Triangle

Australian film that is a horrifying descent into Hell.

Trailer doesn't do it justice

Free on YouTube

Horrorfest 2022

Session 9

One of the better (IMO) “dread-filled” horror movies. Filmed in the old Danvers State Hospital shortly before they tore most of it down.

Rentable on Amazon and Apple TV

“Fear is a Place”

https://youtu.be/4s-5eJq47bY

Awesome thread!!!!!!

Will probably listen to IT on Audible. Will check out some of these movies.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My Halloween cinematic tradition is the 1982 version of "The Thing", followed by "Alien".
    If you haven't already, Peter Watts' re-imagining of The Thing is worth a read:

https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Somehow ended up reading an article about Angel Heart recently. Didn't know it was based on a book. Both the original book and sequel are on order (actually the sequel showed up yesterday but resisting reading out of order...).
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    If you haven't already, Peter Watts' re-imagining of The Thing is worth a read:

https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Somehow ended up reading an article about Angel Heart recently. Didn't know it was based on a book. Both the original book and sequel are on order (actually the sequel showed up yesterday but resisting reading out of order...).
    I love Angelheart.
    First viewing: creepy psychological horror-murder mystery.
    Second viewing: Schadenfreude comedy.

User Tag List