Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun loading techniques

The Safariland 085 is the single column version of that.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/safa...-085-12-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The Safariland 085 is the single column version of that.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/safa...-085-12-2.html
    The EZ8 and the design I'm working on, both feature adjustability to fit a range of different shells, like those with different lengths due to roll vs. star crimp. The EZ8 uses a pair of kydex 'springs' to apply lateral tension to the shells to help keep them from moving about.

My design will similarly use a spring (or springs I haven't decided yet) to apply lateral tension to the shells, though it will be a tempered steel spring that also serves as a 'cap' to help keep shells from popping up inadvertently out of the carrier as well.

That's all to say they're different designs from the traditional shell carriers like this. By virtue of having quite a bit more retention and adjustability for different types of shells.

The 085 uses a metal plate with a foam rubber layer behind it to apply pressure to hold the shells in place.

Name:  A2D082A5-9874-45FC-87DF-7CEBEAD4DAE8.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  30.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The EZ8 and the design I'm working on, both feature adjustability to fit a range of different shells, like those with different lengths due to roll vs. star crimp. The EZ8 uses a pair of kydex 'springs' to apply lateral tension to the shells to help keep them from moving about.

My design will similarly use a spring (or springs I haven't decided yet) to apply lateral tension to the shells, though it will be a tempered steel spring that also serves as a 'cap' to help keep shells from popping up inadvertently out of the carrier as well.

That's all to say they're different designs from the traditional shell carriers like this. By virtue of having quite a bit more retention and adjustability for different types of shells.
    Looking forward to seeing this.

I haven't seen any mention of these Ares Tactical carriers.
    https://www.arestactical.net/product...2ga-2-75-inch/
    I have several on a molle chest rig and am satisfied with the setup. I have not given the rig a vigorous field test, though (mostly because I don't do much vigorous anymore)

Is Safariland still producing the 085 carrier? I can't find one in stock anywhere, not even on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The 085 uses a metal plate with a foam rubber layer behind it to apply pressure to hold the shells in place.

Name:  A2D082A5-9874-45FC-87DF-7CEBEAD4DAE8.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  30.9 KB
    Could someone grab a shell with their index and middle finger, then second shell with their ring and pinky finger to do a twins load, or would that be sloppy?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I haven't seen any mention of these Ares Tactical carriers.
    https://www.arestactical.net/product...2ga-2-75-inch/
    I have several on a molle chest rig and am satisfied with the setup. I have not given the rig a vigorous field test, though (mostly because I don't do much vigorous anymore)

Is Safariland still producing the 085 carrier? I can't find one in stock anywhere, not even on eBay.
    The only thing with the Ares that I don't care for is that the backing plate and baseplate are made from the same piece of kydex. I'm afraid if you catch it on something and rip the sides away, you'll dump shells everywhere. As opposed to maybe just ripping it off your belt. Shouldn't be an issue on a chest rig, but on a belt might be a problem.

I don't think the Safarilands are made any more. They don't list them on their website any longer either.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Could someone grab a shell with their index and middle finger, then second shell with their ring and pinky finger to do a twins load, or would that be sloppy?
    With practice it could probably be done.

You can grab 2 and load each singly, too.

Does anyone know?

Along the lines of reloading a shotgun from an empty gun to first round fired. Has anyone compared the times of loading an empty shotgun to first round fired, using the fastest technique based on a sidesaddle/shell card, and that of reloading an AR style rifle from empty gun to first round fired, also based on a similar “on the gun” spare magazine location. I would imagine that location would have to be two mags attached to each other to compare apples to apples as I can’t think of another method of spare carry on a rifle similar to that of a shotgun, with ammo on the receiver.

I think the times would be interesting. I always hear about how slow the shotgun is to reload. In that discussion, it’s always about fully loading each gun, shotgun or AR. Is that really the goal in a defensive situation? Or, is it more important to have a round in the gun to use against an assailant in a deadly force encounter? Even if it’s just one round.

And if no one has recorded these techniques, would someone with the equipment and motivation care to have a go at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboytim View Post
    Along the lines of reloading a shotgun from an empty gun to first round fired. Has anyone compared the times of loading an empty shotgun to first round fired, using the fastest technique based on a sidesaddle/shell card, and that of reloading an AR style rifle from empty gun to first round fired, also based on a similar “on the gun” spare magazine location. I would imagine that location would have to be two mags attached to each other to compare apples to apples as I can’t think of another method of spare carry on a rifle similar to that of a shotgun, with ammo on the receiver.

I think the times would be interesting. I always hear about how slow the shotgun is to reload. In that discussion, it’s always about fully loading each gun, shotgun or AR. Is that really the goal in a defensive situation? Or, is it more important to have a round in the gun to use against an assailant in a deadly force encounter? Even if it’s just one round.

And if no one has recorded these techniques, would someone with the equipment and motivation care to have a go at it?
    You make a point, but I think it's a narrow point. I don't think anyone disagrees that a round in the chamber as soon as possible is primary, and you won't continue to load the magazine if there is an immediate threat. The time to put one round in the chamber from a side saddle or match saver can be faster (skill) than reloading a long gun with a detachable magazine. But this is where the narrowness of the point becomes apparent.

Will a single round end the fight? You might miss, he might wear armor or there is a barrier, there is more than one opponent. That's why military rifles progressed from single shots, to tube magazines, to internal magazines (single column or double), to stripper clips, to detachable magazines. A full magazine is more important in a military or police scenario, but it's still valid in self defense I think. That said, there are some videos out there of skilled individuals shooting very rapidly when single loading the chamber from the side saddle multiple times. Emphasis on "skilled".

User Tag List