Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling dumb: displaced fracture

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    What is the docs idea to fix it? My wife did almost the same thing catching herself w/ her hand after slipping on ice. The doc said needed surgery. So he did that. Put two huge sewing pins in it w/ 3/8 plastic balls on the ends sticking out maybe 1/2 inch from the end of the finger. The balls were to be able to wrap it up w/o the pins poking through the gause. The first time she unwrapped it at home I nearly lost my lunch. I don't know why but dang that grossed me out. Anyway after 6 weeks of dealing w/ a finger an inch longer than it should be and at least an inch in diameter from the gause (ever try taking a shower while keeping a finger 100% dry?), they pulled the pins. Dang finger was just a little bit straighter than it had been and still bent more than the one on the other hand. She says if it ever happens again she will just tape it to the next finger and live w/ it. I hope yours will turn out better than hers did.
    I go in tomorrow. I really don't want to do surgery but I'm worried it already started to heal and idk if I'll have many options. I'm really gonna hope he can still set it and put it in a splint

Sorry to hear about your injury. What follows is strictly my own experience, and should not reflect on others.

I’ve injured myself and gone to the ER a bunch over the years. Rarely did I find toughing it out helped. Now I just admit I am/was a dumbass and go to the ER.

I’ve also found I never go to the ER for doing something smart. My explanation of my injury to the doctor/nurse usually starts with, “I was a dumbass and . . . “

Now when I work with sharp objects or power tools, the first question I ask myself is: “How will I hurt myself with this thing?”
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Sorry to hear about your injury. What follows is strictly my own experience, and should not reflect on others.

I’ve injured myself and gone to the ER a bunch over the years. Rarely did I find toughing it out helped. Now I just admit I am/was a dumbass and go to the ER.

I’ve also found I never go to the ER for doing something smart. My explanation of my injury to the doctor/nurse usually starts with, “I was a dumbass and . . . “

Now when I work with sharp objects or power tools, the first question I ask myself is: “How will I hurt myself with this thing?”
    ya, I just didn't even think it was bad. It was swollen, yea but the pain was never severe and it didn't impede me. This is my first fracture of any bone and I was really surprised by how mild it was. lesson learned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ya, I just didn't even think it was bad. It was swollen, yea but the pain was never severe and it didn't impede me. This is my first fracture of any bone and I was really surprised by how mild it was. lesson learned.
    It's strange like that sometimes. My wife walked around on a fractured ankle for the better part of a week before she went to the doctor and found out with an X ray. She said it was only slightly painful...it was just because it was so persistent.

She's tiny, and she thought she'd give me, a fully grown man, a piggy back ride. Unable to convince her otherwise, she found me a bit too heavy and fell back on her leg.

She thought it was just a twisted ankle.

Turns out her pain tolerance is probably higher than mine...Definitely not as strong as she thought (Don't tell her I said that tho).

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

So, I was indeed dumb. I have a displaced fracture that caused "mallet" finger. I go in for surgery tomorrow morning, they have to open it up, clear out calcified bone, scar tissue, and then use pins to get it solid. Luckily the VA took really good care of me and with my disability rating I won't pay anything out of pocket. I did get a good talking to by my doc reiterating to me that I'm not longer an active duty marine and don't have to gut things out. I just said yes ma'am and sorry for me being dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So, I was indeed dumb. I have a displaced fracture that caused "mallet" finger. I go in for surgery tomorrow morning, they have to open it up, clear out calcified bone, scar tissue, and then use pins to get it solid. Luckily the VA took really good care of me and with my disability rating I won't pay anything out of pocket. I did get a good talking to by my doc reiterating to me that I'm not longer an active duty marine and don't have to gut things out. I just said yes ma'am and sorry for me being dumb.
    You’re like 99% of dumb men here.

“Bone ain’t sticking out? I’m ok”

Here’s to some quick healing for you.

I am nursing a displaced rib fracture at the moment. No option other than surgery to permanently fix it. Big fun.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Get better soon. I broke the same finger last year after doing something dumb and falling. My finger was numb and wouldn't straighten, so off to orthopedic urgent care I went. Wearing a splint night and day for what I think was over a month did the trick. Here's to successful recovery from the surgery.

Cheers to a full recovery.

I think you can still hold a glass of bourbon in that hand.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List