Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions please on enclosed handgun RDS

Site Supporter
    Just my .02 but I think that it is always going with the enclosed emitter.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I like enclosed emitter optics. I currently run an ACRO P-1 on one carry gun and an ACRO P-2 on the other. The ACRO certainly prints more than other optics but it isn’t horrible. I had a chance to check out a Holosun EPS for the first time a couple weeks ago and I liked it. As has been said, the main advantage for CCW use (and the benefit you get for that increased printing) is minimal issues of lint causing problems and easier cleaning of the optic window (wipe with shirt over cover garments). Obviously an enclosed emitter will do better in extreme environmental and humidity conditions but based on the close-to-body carry of most CCW carriers and the fact the optic is somewhat protected due to the concealing garments from water, etc. this is more of a duty concern.

As for switching to an enclosed emitter I would say that since you will have a use for the current optic there’s nothing wrong with upgrading, but I don’t consider open-emitters to have a fatal flaw - just a different set of advantages and drawbacks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with printing by going from open emitter to closed?

I have an RMR that's about to be mounted to a g19, this will be my first RDS.

I was lucky enough to have an ACRO P2 in my shopping cart, and passed it up thinking the size might be a little too big. I'm wondering more and more if I should just buy one next time I get a chance since I have a few G19's that still need RDS.

My only hang up is the size, since these would be used for CCW.
    The back corner of all the closed emitter dots is definitely a point that can print more. In my experience, an RMR or 407/507 print no more than the pistol without a dot. With a closed emitter, holsters with a lot of grip tuck can actually make the dot print more, and you have to balance concealing the grip and RDS.

ETA: I still greatly prefer a closed emitter optic. I haven’t tried an EPS yet, but the Acro, 509t, and MPS have all worked well for me. The 509 has the best window size/shape, but has the most distortion. I’ve also heard some reports of reliability issues, but the two I’ve had have been fine.
    Last edited by joshs; 09-28-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    509 has the best window size/shape, but has the most distortion. I’ve also heard some reports of reliability issues, but the two I’ve had have been fine.
    I'm in the same boat. I had two, my buddy had one. All had "fish eye" and blue tint that made them basically unusable. Like MRO bad. I didn't help that 2 of the 3 had their "circle" reticle canted visibly to the right...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I had two, my buddy had one. All had "fish eye" and blue tint that made them basically unusable. Like MRO bad. I didn't help that 2 of the 3 had their "circle" reticle canted visibly to the right...
    The X2 model I have now is definitely better than the original version I had. I notice it in slow fire, but I don’t realize at all when shooting anything practical.

I am a huge enclosed dot fan and have multiple eps carry and 509T.

Plenty of our small guns also wear a 407k or 507k because they print less than an eps carry.

My primary ccw p365xl has a eps carry as I have a pet peeve about cleaning lint. We have plenty of other p365s with 407k or 507k
    Last edited by G19Fan; 09-30-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Thanks everyone for the responses. This plus Aaron Cowan's recent video are all valuable. If I can locate the version I want for the new EPS Carry I will go ahead and buy one.

I changed batteries in my 2 optics (both rmr) on my 2 m&Ps today. First time doing so. Re zeroed and shot an additional 50rds on each gun, quickly to make sure the screws stayed put.

It was raining and I had one gun out on a table while sighting in the other? When I got to the 2nd gun there were like 30 dots. Was a pita to get something in there and wipe off the emitter. Not really tough or anything like that but annoying. If I were carrying it it wouldn’t have been an issue. Owb for a class or comp and it’s be annoying as hell.

I both wished for that not to happen and to not have to remove my optic and re zero just to change the battery.

I prefer enclosed emitter optics - two Acros on duty & carry pistols; however, my second carry pistol has an open emitter on it. If it fails, I'll replace it with another closed emitter. My older optics pistols all have open emitters because that's what was available.

As has been mentioned, a closed design makes keeping them clean easier. They do print a bit easier, not so much because of size but because of edges.

Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with printing by going from open emitter to closed?

I have an RMR that's about to be mounted to a g19, this will be my first RDS.

I was lucky enough to have an ACRO P2 in my shopping cart, and passed it up thinking the size might be a little too big. I'm wondering more and more if I should just buy one next time I get a chance since I have a few G19's that still need RDS.

My only hang up is the size, since these would be used for CCW.
    For me and my wife, an open emitter prints like irons, a closed emitter does print more due to the corner (507ks and eps carries) on P365 series guns

User Tag List