Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Define “New”

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Define “New”

Looking at a new Smith at a local shop. Clearly visible turn line on the cylinder. Where do you draw the line?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Looking at a new Smith at a local shop. Clearly visible turn line on the cylinder. Where do you draw the line?
    Maybe that's one of the ones that got returned and fixed. Maybe.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I ask before rotating the cylinder, and only do it once to check timing. With Colt Pythons and King Cobras, there is much less chance of forming a turn line. If the price is good, and the line doesn’t look like a hundred tire kickers had a Wild West show with it, I’d overlook the turn line.

The NRA definition of new is unfired (not counting factory test and proof), not previously sold at retail.

A turn line could have been applied by looks-loos.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Disregard, not enough coffee yet to properly shit-talk new production S&W revolvers...
    Last edited by tango-papa; 09-27-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    If you are buying a gun you intend to shoot - try to get them to drop the price a bit and then enjoy!

If you are buying a safe queen - pass.

Where do you draw the line?
    Personally? At the addition of the internal lock.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter

Significance of a turn line?

Okay- I’ll admit I’m a revolver philistine…

But I want to learn.

What is the significance of a turn line?
    Does it indicate something is out of adjustment?

A S&W 640 I looked at a couple of months ago had one, and I’ve been wondering about it since then.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Okay- I’ll admit I’m a revolver philistine…

But I want to learn.

What is the significance of a turn line?
    Does it indicate something is out of adjustment?

A S&W 640 I looked at a couple of months ago had one, and I’ve been wondering about it since then.
    A turn line is normal on some revolvers, probably most revolvers, and an indication of a problem on some. A properly-tuned Colt SAA, for example, should not drag the part (that Colt calls the “bolt,” and most other manufacturers call a “cylinder stop”) along the cylinder, as it rotates. So, when I am ogling the display of pre-owned revolvers, a Colt SAA will not even get a second glance, if it has a turn line. I expect a new or used S&W or Ruger to have a turn line, but not a deeply gouged turn line.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-27-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The way some cylinder stops leave the factory, it only takes a few turns for a line to appear on the cylinder. A proper deburring/polishing of the cylinder stop goes a long way toward reducing the rate of development of the turn line. There's no need for it to have hard-sharp edges. Broken smooth and polished functions quite nicely. One more reason that a revolver should come apart down to the last piece that isn't a press/torqued fit and have everything inspected and gone over carefully before being placed in service.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List